Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 07:26:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stay safe.  (Read 15345 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:49:35 AM

I have added a new thread about IPO investments. I hope new users will read it, before investing their hard earned money.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577790.0;topicseen

Nice.

I've been using lastpass for quite some time now and it gives me peace of mind knowing my passwords are always safe and secured.

It's great to have this thread up. Thanks.

It is, Also, for everyone to know, they may export their lastpass as lastpass csv file and then import it to keepass2 as Lastpass CSV by signing into lastpass, left click the lastpass addon icon, Tools/Advance Tools/Export to/Lastpass CSV , save where ever.

Open keepass2, make a new data base, create strong PW for keepass2 new database.

On the Menu bar of keepass2, click File/Import/ scroll down to /Lastpass CSV. Highlight it. Click the folder icon that appears that says "File to be imported". Navigate to your exported Lastpass CSV file click ok.

Reason of this new plugin is it handles PW's, secure notes, ect ect ect just like how lastpass handles everything which is very very awesome.

The two mixes very nicely now.
Orthy

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 03:51:29 AM

I have added a new thread about IPO investments. I hope new users will read it, before investing their hard earned money.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=577790.0;topicseen

Nice.

I've been using lastpass for quite some time now and it gives me peace of mind knowing my passwords are always safe and secured.

It's great to have this thread up. Thanks.

It is, Also, for everyone to know, they may export their lastpass as lastpass csv file and then import it to keepass2 as Lastpass CSV by signing into lastpass, left click the lastpass addon icon, Tools/Advance Tools/Export to/Lastpass CSV , save where ever.

Open keepass2, make a new data base, create strong PW for keepass2 new database.

On the Menu bar of keepass2, click File/Import/ scroll down to /Lastpass CSV. Highlight it. Click the folder icon that appears that says "File to be imported". Navigate to your exported Lastpass CSV file click ok.

Reason of this new plugin is it handles PW's, secure notes, ect ect ect just like how lastpass handles everything which is very very awesome.

The two mixes very nicely now.

Nice, thank you.

Didn't know I can import my lastpass passwords and notes to keepass2. It's really awesome.

I can have a secured backup of my passwords and notes in keepass2 now. +1

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 06:26:42 AM

Maybe add that Android apps (and I guess iPhones apps too) should not be run on rooted phones, as this opens the door to malware to read sensible information (at least that's how I understand it).

I never knew this.

Care to explain? Only if you can. In detail why and how it is very bad. I'll add it.

I was running a rooted android but nothing to real connected to sensitive data, separated email account, used it as a 2ndary pc for when I had problems or doing technical work with pc off, I need a laptop.

The one I remember off the top of my head is an early version of the blockchain.info app where users lost funds running the app on rooted phones. Blockchaininfo kept the password in a plaintext file that would not have been accessible on a sandboxed phone. Since it was rooted that info was accessible to the malware. A combination of things for sure, but if you're phone was not rooted, the malware could not have gotten to it.

A second example would be your Google Authenticator keys, which can be relatively easy read out from a rooted phone (I did this myself when I had to switch phones). Not so from a sandboxed one.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
pekv2

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:13:19 AM

The one I remember off the top of my head is an early version of the blockchain.info app where users lost funds running the app on rooted phones. Blockchaininfo kept the password in a plaintext file that would not have been accessible on a sandboxed phone. Since it was rooted that info was accessible to the malware. A combination of things for sure, but if you're phone was not rooted, the malware could not have gotten to it.

A second example would be your Google Authenticator keys, which can be relatively easy read out from a rooted phone (I did this myself when I had to switch phones). Not so from a sandboxed one.

Holy Moly. Not good.
escrow.ms (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 10:40:03 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2014, 10:51:37 AM by escrow.ms

Thanks Newar, I have Added it in android security

Android Security

TIP #1 Don't store bitcoins on a rooted cellphone.
Rooting your device increases the security exposure to malicious applications and potential application flaws, thus any malware can steal your wallet/keys stored in a protected directory.
Malware on a rooted phone can also access other applications like google authenticator and read/write phone logs,sms etc which are needed for verification process in many websites/apps.

TIP #2 – Don’t install apps from untrusted third party apps stores.
TIP #3 – Use an anti-virus app for an extra layer of protection.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 12:01:43 PM

Some more stay safe ideas: 

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24722

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
escrow.ms (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:03:03 PM

Thanks, It's really good. I am also making same kind of detailed guide.

Ps: APK scanner links added.

pekv2

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:07:49 PM

I am very happy I have resigned. Thread is already improving. Great work.
escrow.ms (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:23:15 PM

I am very happy I have resigned. Thread is already improving. Great work.
Thanks Smiley

Just added a link of GPG guide by GoldenWings91

Proper way to Create & verify GPG Signature using Kleopatra on Windows
escrow.ms (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 10:49:02 PM

Bump.
cookiemonsterwhat

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 24, 2014, 11:51:31 PM

I read up to the password part of Lastpass and freeware.

I`ll continue to read where i left to for your safety tips.

Bookmarked, and thank you  Smiley

Can you also link your escrow stuff?

Edit: Never mind, just overlooked the small words "escrow" in your signature lol.
PerrythePlatypus

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 07:15:01 AM

I like Lastpass's password generator. Nice tutorial though.  Cheesy
pekv2

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 10:07:00 AM

If this is true, watch out for malicious browser addons.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=584963.msg6400146#msg6400146

Don't use online wallet storage and divide your btc up into multiple dif wallets if you have a lot.
pekv2

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 02:35:36 AM

Bump for the community.
Vitsila

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 03:21:13 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2014, 11:01:17 PM by Vitsila

Paper wallets isn't the safest way?
Chemistry1988
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:17:45 PM

Paper wallets isn't the saferst way?

IMO, paper wallet is one of the safest way to keep your bitcoin as long as you set it up correctly.  Smiley
Vitsila

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 08:46:39 PM

IMO, paper wallet is one of the safest way to keep your bitcoin as long as you set it up correctly.  Smiley

Thanks , i am going to search for instructions for set up in the forum.
escrow.ms (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 10:15:42 PM

Thanks , i am going to search for instructions for set up in the forum.

http://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/
Vitsila

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 11:02:38 PM

Thank you.  Smiley
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2014, 04:48:05 AM

The coindesk article is good, but you should read the "Security Concerns" section (especially the part of creating your private keys offline) before following the 10 steps Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: