Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:50:13 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Wikipedia make any updates on its BTC donations view?  (Read 1330 times)
genuise (OP)

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 10:02:30 AM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 12:10:00 PM by genuise

what current situation in this question?

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:03:55 AM

I e-mailed them just a few days ago when I saw they were looking for donations. They said they don't take it but are watching bitcoin with interest.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:08:47 AM

It's not important if they really accept it. Many journalists are writing articles about how wikipedia and EFF is accepting BTC already without verifying if it's true. Now it's just the matter of time.
coretechs
Donator

Activity: 362

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:14:24 PM

Wikipedia already missed an opportunity to fund themselves for the next few years, which is a shame considering how often they beg for money.  People were emailing them in droves asking to donate bitcoins a few months ago but they weren't interested.  I'm guessing they will get on board soon.

https://bitcoindoc.com - The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin | https://blocktap.io - Lightning powered crypto query engine
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:24:48 PM

Wikipedia already missed an opportunity to fund themselves for the next few years, which is a shame considering how often they beg for money.  People were emailing them in droves asking to donate bitcoins a few months ago but they weren't interested.  I'm guessing they will get on board soon.

So true.

In a few months they will no longer be able to ignore it.
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:14:49 PM

Sorry guys, but Wikipedia are plain idiots, and I would say that to their face any day of the week in person. Here we are, a bunch of freedom living dudes, trading with a cryptocurrency that is designed to be desentralized, just aligned with all the same ideas as wikipedia was originally meant to be.

Now, every time I read Wikipedia, I get a sign saying that if everybody that reads this gave us 9 dollars, then our fundraising would be over. So I mailed them, and told them I would give them bitcoins. They rejected.

The end result is that I think Wikipedia is a bunch of ungrateful fools, which doesn't accept my donation. Yes, holy cow - all the legal troubbles they would find themselves in if they accepted bitcoin. They would probably have to close shop, and the bosses would be labeled domestic terroists and be sent to Guantanamo bay, and not to mention that their dogs would catch rabies, and their wifes deny entrance for the foreceable future.

Oh the horrors that lies in accepting bitcoin.

Too big, doesn't care...

The right thing would be:

"Thank you, yes we happily accept anything that anyone wants to give to us! Thanks for your thought and your concern!"
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:16:37 PM

Well, they will be ridiculed for this for long time to come. Whatever. They deserve it.

-
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:07:52 PM

Don't give money to wikipedia, they clearly don't need it. Otherwise they would accept bitcoin

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:29:19 PM

I was going to donate about 20 or so BTC to them last year when we were around $5/BTC, but they didn't accept Bitcoin.  Now that we're coming up on $100 per coin, fuck them; they had their chance, but they chose to turn up their nose.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
dancingnancy

Activity: 661
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:34:28 PM

I was going to donate about 20 or so BTC to them last year when we were around $5/BTC, but they didn't accept Bitcoin.  Now that we're coming up on $100 per coin, fuck them; they had their chance, but they chose to turn up their nose.

No doubt.  I just don't understand why they didn't accept it.  Now, hopefully they will never get any.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:41:48 PM

And then they posted this at
https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:FundraiserLandingPage&country=US&uselang=en&utm_medium=sidebar&utm_source=donate&utm_campaign=C13_en.wikipedia.org

We are trying to make it easy for people in every country to donate. Please let us know how we could make it easier for you. Send your suggestions to: problemsdonating@wikimedia.org.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: