Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:41:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Denominating Bitcoin amounts  (Read 2172 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 12:41:22 PM

We've discussed this before, but there never has been a consensus as to how to handle future denominations of Bitcoin for purchases. Someday Bitcoin will be distributed amongst a wide user base and purchases will be approaching the nano BTC level. The problem is innumeracy. Most Americans don't understand the concept of metric prefixes. They are conditioned to corporatized names and logos from infancy. Shall we begin to popularize a naming convention for purchases using something analogous to trading commodities i.e. Gold Bitcoin, Silver Bitcoin, etc. for every fractional order of magnitude? Or will we end up using milliardth, billionth, or nano to mean Bitcoin to -9 orders of magnitude?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 12:51:47 PM

Why do you think you can solve this now?  If people really have a hard time with milli, micro, nano, why don't you just wait to see what they actually do use?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 12:58:18 PM

mBTC.  Too easy.

"I can't believe a batch3 Avalon is almost 74,000 mBTC".
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 01:02:26 PM

BTM (mBTC) has rapidly developed into a de-facto standard in online gaming. If bitcoin market value continues on its present trend much longer it will be the norm full stop.

I have no idea what "commoners" will call BTM, µBTC and satoshi, if it comes to that. You never know, they might call them BTM or mBTC, µBTC and satoshi! Smiley Or maybe peeps could get used to the floating point, e.g. "the basic payout on Daily Bitcoins is BTC0,00001", "I like to tip forum posters BTC0,005", and so on.

But already even within the Bitcoin nerd circles, I've seen peeps confuse BTC0,005 with BTC0,0005 with BTC0,00005! So who knows? Smiley

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
bitcoinnix

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:03:36 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 01:39:32 PM by bitcoinnix

We already have the satoshi for a small increment - I propose the next named small increment be somehow related to Hal Finney:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155054.0

Eg:  (1 BTC = 100,000,000 Satoshi); (1 BTC = 1,000,000 Finneys)

nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 01:06:36 PM

Hal Finney's a legend, so that sounds good to me!

BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:08:37 PM

Most Americans don't understand the concept of metric prefixes
Then they better start using their brain and learn that.

Or stop using bitcoin because if they can't understand what milli or micro means, they clearly are unable to understand how to use bitcoins  Smiley

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:09:46 PM

BTM (mBTC) has rapidly developed into a de-facto standard in online gaming. If bitcoin market value continues on its present trend much longer it will be the norm full stop.

I have no idea what "commoners" will call BTM, µBTC and satoshi, if it comes to that. You never know, they might call them BTM or mBTC, µBTC and satoshi! Smiley Or maybe peeps could get used to the floating point, e.g. "the basic payout on Daily Bitcoins is BTC0,00001", "I like to tip forum posters BTC0,005", and so on.

But already even within the Bitcoin nerd circles, I've seen peeps confuse BTC0,005 with BTC0,0005 with BTC0,00005! So who knows? Smiley

Having lived through the process in reverse (i.e. a hyperinflationary currency, where you keep adding zeroes, then the government keeps chopping them off), I can tell you the community will quickly revert to nicknames for each denomination. As you said, BTM seems to be gaining traction. uBTC might catch on too. And I think the satoshi is, by now, fairly well established.

Hopefully, we'll stay away from floating points... they suck, and they're a permanent reminder we are primates with only ten extensions on our hands  Cheesy
grau

Activity: 836
Merit: 1021

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 01:20:05 PM

Introducing XBT (= 100 satoshi) is the way to go. This enables integration with mainstream financial systems.

See reasoning and votes in:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149150.0
nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 01:22:58 PM

Having lived through the process in reverse (i.e. a hyperinflationary currency, where you keep adding zeroes, then the government keeps chopping them off), I can tell you the community will quickly revert to nicknames for each denomination.

Wow! Zim? Smiley

Hopefully, we'll stay away from floating points... they suck, and they're a permanent reminder we are primates with only ten extensions on our hands  Cheesy

Today's maths/bitcoin class. Teacher comes in and says "repeat after me: point double zero five, point triple zero five, point quadruple zero five - read the numbers backwards". Grin

Troll Toll

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:52:27 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 04:35:49 PM by Troll Toll

Screw stupid 'muricans, make them learn the metric system.

Source: I am an engineer in america that understands both the metric system and the stupidity of everyone around me IRL.

EDIT: typo

You gotta pay
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:24:39 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2013, 04:22:43 PM by Peter Lambert

Most Americans don't understand the concept of metric prefixes.

Bullshit.

Every American learns about metric prefixes in school. We know the difference between a milliliter and a liter, and the difference between a millimeter (about 25 to an inch), a meter (about a yard) and a kilometer (about half a mile).

We use M and B and T when talking about large amounts of money (million and billion and trillions), while they are not the same as the metric abbreviations it still works the same. We also state memory amounts for computers using a sort of modified metric prefixing system.

Just use millibits, mB, and people will get used to it.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 04:08:59 PM

I will be defaulting to BTM (or mBTC) when I get my website up and running.

It will be easier to say a user has 100 BTM instead of .1 BTC.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 01:29:29 AM

We already have the satoshi for a small increment - I propose the next named small increment be somehow related to Hal Finney:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155054.0

Eg:  (1 BTC = 100,000,000 Satoshi); (1 BTC = 1,000,000 Finneys)

Since a lot of people have their client set to show xxx.xx mBTC, I move to make 0.01 mBTC (aka, the millibitcent, 10^-5 BTC, 10 uBTC, etc) the Finney.

So at $100 per BTC, a Fin will be worth 0.1 pennies. At $1,000, a penny, at $10,000, a dime. The Finney (thus defined) has a reasonable token amount associated with it over a broad range of exchange rates.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:28:36 AM

I'm sure people will figure out their own names for these denominations.  I'm in favor of calling mBTC millies, and I'm certain anyone who hears me say "I'll take this for a hundred millies" will probably get my message Tongue  That is, if they're familiar with Bitcoin.  Otherwise I'm going to get some funny stares no matter what I call it.

nobbynobbynoob

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 02:30:29 AM

And "millie" is certainly easier to say than "bee-tee-em", much as the latter's grown on me. Smiley

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:46:48 AM

And "millie" is certainly easier to say than "bee-tee-em", much as the latter's grown on me. Smiley

I don't get the logic for BTM.   mBTC sounds way simpeler to me.
calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:40:06 AM

Bitmill sounds easier to say IMO.
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 08:31:52 AM

Did you consider what was laid out on the wiki?  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/FAQ#What_do_I_call_the_various_denominations_of_bitcoin.3F

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:22:51 PM

BTM is 3 letters mBTC is 4.  Bitmill is easy to say, and many sites already incorporate it - it also is precisely the same thing but less scary for non-metric familiar users.   IMHO the bitmill/BTM is here to stay

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: