Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:36:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Components & Spare Parts Discussion  (Read 3187 times)
Line (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:53:34 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 06:52:37 PM by Line

Hello all,

Since we'll be running our units non-stop there may come a time that the components and parts of the Avalons become damaged or fail.

I propose we discuss which parts are currently in the units for each batch and viable alternatives.

Examples include, fans power supplies, screws, cabling, etc... Maybe even custom modifications and parts can be proposed and tested here as well.

Here's to smooth hashing!
Line (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:54:02 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 06:49:10 PM by Line

[Cooling]

[Networking]

(Stock) - TP-LINK TP-WR703N

[Power Supply]

(Stock) - Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W

[Cabling]

[Screws]

Color Legend - Confirmed, Unconfirmed, Incompatible
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:01:44 PM

One of the front intake fans on mine is starting to make a bit more noise than it used to.

I'd love to be able to order a replacement to keep on hand as a spare, so I'm not faced with downtime or a hackjob solution if one fails.

I'm sure the fans used were chosen with a certain set of characteristics, and not just any old 120mm fan will do as a replacement.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:04:44 PM

PSU vor batch 3 would be of interest.
Line (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:09:35 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 06:39:21 PM by Line

Since many of us are ordering Batch 3 units without a Power Supply (PSU), perhaps now is a good time to discover which power supplies will make for good substitutes to the OEM offering.

I have an old Thermaltake Toughpower 850W modular PSU that I'd like to drop into my Batch #3 3 module 65 GH/s unit.

It has an efficiency rating of ~87% so I believe it should be up to the task.

Additionally the cabling is modular, so only the minimum amount of wires needed to run the unit can be connected, possibly increasing performance of airflow and/or pressure?

Perhaps BitSyncom, or ngzhang can chime in here:

Which connectors exactly do the avalon mainboard and daughter cards require for operation?

Thanks

Line (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:24:01 PM

One of the front intake fans on mine is starting to make a bit more noise than it used to.

I'd love to be able to order a replacement to keep on hand as a spare, so I'm not faced with downtime or a hackjob solution if one fails.

I'm sure the fans used were chosen with a certain set of characteristics, and not just any old 120mm fan will do as a replacement.

Please see ngzhangs post discussing the stock fan specifications. Let's find the OEM product and viable alternatives and I can post links to them in post #2 of this this thread.

Thanks.

Quote from: ngzhang
if you want to replace the fan, please use ONE 12038(or 12044) size, 4PIN PWM, 12V , with at least 3600RPM maximum speed.  ball bearing is recommend.

a 1200rpm 12025 fan (or 2 in series ) will of course kill the machine.
Line (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:02:50 PM

I'm guessing the Delta 240 cfm fan is overkill?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxOgE26BhAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BeTVOgVkAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Lq8fkXtDc

How about the Delta PFC1212DE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqc72EOuteU
lukestokes

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 05:50:11 AM

Did anyone every confirm the power supply needed for a batch 3 order?

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
zedicus
Legendary

Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 05:58:46 AM

Did anyone every confirm the power supply needed for a batch 3 order?

Hey luke! Maybe of interest!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158867.0

Zedicus = foxycart user Smiley

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
jermwerty

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:33:22 PM

I would be interested to know from someone who has a unit, how the power leads are setup.  The big question in my mind is +12V Rails.   I assume the power supply that came with the unit is a single rail.  If you did use a multi-rail PS, how would you connect up the rails?   Of course it could be different for 2, 4, or 6 rail PSUs I suppose.

Perhaps the safe bet is to only use single rail PSUs.
lukestokes

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 02:37:10 AM

Thanks!

Zedicus = foxycart user Smiley

That just made my night. Smiley

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
Bogart
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:48:01 AM

[Networking]

(Stock) - TP-LINK TP-WR703N

I don't think it's a regular WR703N.  I believe it is modified to add more RAM, more flash, and an external RF connector.

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLBoat-The-TL-WR703N-Mod-64Mbyte-RAM-16Mbyte-Flash-And-TTLout-Inside-MicroUSB-/181078954797

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 03:02:30 AM

I'll save you guys a lot of time.

The PSUs are standard PC, ATX formfactor high efficiency PSUs, >700W. That's it, nothing more complicated.

The fans can be replaced by ANY 12cm standard case fan, powered by a molex connector from the PSU, or powered by a 2/3pin to molex cable via molex. Highest CFM per dba preferred, power load pretty inconsequential. Good offerings from Noctua, like the NFS12 for quiet operation [1200rpm is pushing it.]

allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 04:58:45 PM

if you want to replace the fan, please use ONE 12038(or 12044) size, 4PIN PWM, 12V , with at least 3600RPM maximum speed.  ball bearing is recommend.

a 1200rpm 12025 fan (or 2 in series ) will of course kill the machine.

I'll just post that once again so it sinks in....

Now a question for you guys. Would the Delta EFB series be ideal due to the increased air pressure 3 blade design? I'm thinking of the Delta EFB1212SHE. 141.96 CFM @ 3700 RPM 52.5 dBA.

Big Time Coin

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:49:17 PM

From earlier posts, it is apparent that there were many different brands of PSU used for avalons.  I was lucky on some of mine and got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139047
On others I was not lucky and got this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044  (I got the 700 W versions of each model, not the ones in the links).

I already had to replace one of the earthwatts psu, so I do not recommend that model.  I have pictures of the power distributor/regulator thing, but I'm having probs getting them all off my phone this morning.

You will need 1X 24 pin Motherboard power connector, 2X PCI-E 8 pin connector, 1X 8-pin CPU power connector.

Here are some pics, sorry not better quality but it is hard to get a good angle with the cables crowding space so much:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Big time, I'm on my way I'm making it, big time, oh yes
- Peter Gabriel
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 02:03:19 PM

Hmm,, crap, that EarthWatts PSU is dual rail. Time to hunt down a replacement single rail unit. Although now that I think about it some more maybe the number of rails does not matter as the power distribution board could just, well, distribute the load evenly. The PSU is running at almost full power anyways so both rails should have equal load, at least theoretically. What do you guys think?

Also putting the miner on a UPS is a big priority for me as well and it should for you guys as well - at least have one on a UPS.

Thanks for the info Big Time Coin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: