Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 06:10:57 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PPCoin proof of stake rewards  (Read 1751 times)
annette786 (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:54:43 PM

I'm tying to better understand PPCoin's proof of stake reward system.  Do I get coins for the existing coins I have? Can someone be kind enough to explain it to me?

H@ml3t

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:32:48 PM

I think we need a PPCoin Wiki so anyone can find this kind of information faster.

Yes you do get coins for the existing you have, but you need to hold them for at least 30 days, and you wont get rich by this. By design you will get ~1% interest per year.

Read this for more detailed information:
http://new.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=8.0
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:35:11 PM

I'm tying to better understand PPCoin's proof of stake reward system.  Do I get coins for the existing coins I have? Can someone be kind enough to explain it to me?

If I can remember well, you need:

*To have a 30 days stopped coin(the time that you recieved the transaction most be over 30 days)
*Run the qt as -server and you will be eligible and good luck Smiley

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:23:16 PM

If I can remember well, you need:

*To have a 30 days stopped coin(the time that you recieved the transaction most be over 30 days)
*Run the qt as -server and you will be eligible and good luck Smiley

Run it as server? Hmm, it should be by default in the client as normal. And also my wallet.dat is unlocked all the time because there is no other way to get the interest. This is what I heard. You can't get interest and have a locked (encrypted) wallet at the same time. This seems like a design flaw.
Sunny King
Legendary

Activity: 1205
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 05:04:31 PM

To mint proof-of-stake blocks, you just leave the wallet running (ppcoin-qt or ppcoind) and be patient. No need to run server mode for ppcoin-qt, but if you use wallet encryption, it would be handy in server mode because currently you need to unlock wallet on command line in order to mint.

See FAQ for more on wallet encryption.
https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/FAQ

If you power off your computer daily that's fine. To maximize the chance to mint I would recommend running the wallet whenever you power on the computer.
btchaver

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:48:59 AM

To mint proof-of-stake blocks, you just leave the wallet running (ppcoin-qt or ppcoind) and be patient. No need to run server mode for ppcoin-qt, but if you use wallet encryption, it would be handy in server mode because currently you need to unlock wallet on command line in order to mint.

See FAQ for more on wallet encryption.
https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki/FAQ

If you power off your computer daily that's fine. To maximize the chance to mint I would recommend running the wallet whenever you power on the computer.

SO if you are not running a wallet you are not earning proof of stake? i hate to ask but how can everyone keep their wallets running?  this seems like its against the saving energy thing that ppc was supposed to solve?
Sahtor

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 06:07:50 AM

The coin age still affects difficulty reward. PoS seems to be good idea promoting network health and lots of confirmations.

The client does need some confirmation that "minting" is happening. Just say its earning interest while running.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: