Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin: The worst case scenario.  (Read 874 times)
lazarus (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 01:59:06 PM

If massive amounts of computational power, cryptography, and distributed networks are the only things backing the Bitcoin economy, would it be possible for distributed attacks to bring it down? Virii, DDOS, EMP's, network outages. What's the worst case scenario that Bitcoin can withstand?
bjf

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:04:36 PM

the worst case: the us govenment declare bitcoin to a terroristic instrument and plan to arrest every user in Guantanamo -> game over
lazarus (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:13:12 PM

I think worse case scenario could involve quantum computing breaking all the public keys - but I don't even know what this means.

DDOS... against who ? Every person out there ? It'd be like everyone pinging each other... ping pong..
I read that Deepbit had over 50% of Bitcoin's computational power (which poses another problem besides the obvious). What if it were attacked? Now Bitcoin doesn't seem quite as distributed to me. Such an attack would slow transactions down tremendously?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:22:17 PM

I think worse case scenario could involve quantum computing breaking all the public keys - but I don't even know what this means.

DDOS... against who ? Every person out there ? It'd be like everyone pinging each other... ping pong..
I read that Deepbit had over 50% of Bitcoin's computational power (which poses another problem besides the obvious). What if it were attacked? Now Bitcoin doesn't seem quite as distributed to me. Such an attack would slow transactions down tremendously?

Where did you read that?  I'm pretty sure they're nowhere close anymore.
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:26:16 PM

Where did you read that?  I'm pretty sure they're nowhere close anymore.

Everything you read is the truth on the internetz...  Here bookmark this please:  http://bitcoinchain.com/

And here is another good one:  http://bitcoinwatch.com/
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:27:21 PM

That's a very old report you were reading.  The current data can be found at www.bitcoinwatch.com, down near the bottom in a pie chart.  BTW "other" is a collection of unknown miners, that may or may not be a single entity, but probably not.  No single group comes close to 50%.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
zeocrash

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:28:29 PM

Worst case scenario, asteroid hits the earth, we all die, no more bitcoin
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:32:17 PM

If massive amounts of computational power, cryptography, and distributed networks are the only things backing the Bitcoin economy, would it be possible for distributed attacks to bring it down? Virii, DDOS, EMP's, network outages. What's the worst case scenario that Bitcoin can withstand?

The computational power doesn't back the bitcoin economy, it secures the blockchain against a brute force attack, commonly called a "51% attack" here.  Even a successful 51% attack would not "bring it down".  More like aggravate the legit users for as long as the attacker can keep it up, and maybe perform a double spend against a particular user the attacker recently had a transaction with.  If that user isn't you, then your coins are safe even during a 51% attack, you just can't spend them while the attack is ongoing.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 02:44:29 PM

Worst case the bubble bursts and BTC go back down to let's say $10 and I buy back what I just sold, oh, wait that does not sound that bad now that I read it back.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 02:54:01 PM

ping pong ping pong.....

hhaha love it!

Quantum computer is not a threat to bitcoin. If quantum computer develops, the whole banking system and I mean, all banks in the world would be at risk... (credit cards, all websites that rely in ssl, etc)
So bitcoin would be the least of our worries...

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
lazarus (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:07:58 PM

That's a very old report you were reading.  The current data can be found at www.bitcoinwatch.com, down near the bottom in a pie chart.  BTW "other" is a collection of unknown miners, that may or may not be a single entity, but probably not.  No single group comes close to 50%.
Around June 2011, so yes I suppose: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12120.0. Thanks for the information, everyone!

toomsie

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:29:35 PM

Quantum computer is not a threat to bitcoin. If quantum computer develops, the whole banking system and I mean, all banks in the world would be at risk... (credit cards, all websites that rely in ssl, etc)

I wish a quantum computer did exist. Imagine the computer games possible.
toomsie

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:32:09 PM

Wasn't the blockchain farked couple of weeks back.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:36:04 PM

Wasn't the blockchain farked couple of weeks back.
We had a blockchain split, due to a database bug.  We have naturally occuring blockchain splits all of the time, but the network is normally self-correcting.  The bug was preventing a self-correction. It was a big deal only to the developers, as their reputation was impacted.  Users weren't impacted except for some short term confirmation delays.  If you weren't trying to move funds at the time, you woudn't have noticed.

mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 04:30:52 PM

I wrote an article about it which includes an interview with Gavin on what they learned and plan to change as a result of this. 

http://endthelie.com/2013/03/13/financial-crisis-revealed-and-resolved-in-the-world-of-bitcoin/

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: