Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:59:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $504000 per day  (Read 16613 times)
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:11:43 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 01:09:48 PM by Peter Lambert

The miners are currently being paid an equivalent of about $324000 per day through the block reward. (about 90 USD per BTC, 25 BTC per block, 144 blocks per day)

Do you think this amount is a reasonable amount to keep the network going?

Edit: Changed title due to increased price.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:13:17 PM

The miners are currently being paid an equivalent of about $324000 per day through the block reward. (about 90 USD per BTC, 25 BTC per block, 144 blocks per day)

Nope. SELL SELL SELL!

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:18:05 PM

It doesn't matter if it is "reasonable" or not it can't be changed.  It is what it is.  Today the amount of economic activity on the network likely doesn't warrant that level of security (like buying a $5K safe to protect $1K in gold) but the move to ASICS is essential.

"Bad guys" will always have access to ASICs, one can't simply pretend away that threat.  Today if someone wanted to attack Bitcoin they wouldn't build a GPU farm they would fab some chips and build a smaller easier to manage ASIC farm.  It wouldn't matter if BFL and Avalon didn't exist an attacker would STILL go that route because it is the most economical.

The high reward paid to miners indirectly funds the R&D necessary to make the move the transition to ASICs.  Hopefully mining will be a large enough "pie" that we will see 4 to 6 well capitalized ASIC suppliers.  2013 is going to be an interesting year.  If the network has moved to ASICs by the end of the year it permanently removes that "cheat card" vulnerability.  Sure an attacker can still use ASICs to attack Bitcoin (but they always could) however they wouldn't be able to gain a massive economic advantage (i.e. $2M in ASICS 51% attacking $20M in GPUs).
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:22:14 PM

"Bad guys" will always have access to ASICs, one can't simply pretend away that threat.  Today if someone wanted to attack Bitcoin they wouldn't build a GPU farm they would fab some chips and build a smaller easier to manage ASIC farm.  It wouldn't matter if BFL and Avalon didn't exist an attacker would STILL go that route because it is the most economical.

Yep, but even "Bad Guys" have enemies/competitors that will counter-attack by supporting the network.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:31:17 PM

It doesn't matter if it is "reasonable" or not it can't be changed.  It is what it is.  Today the amount of economic activity on the network likely doesn't warrant that level of security (like buying a $5K safe to protect $1K in gold) but the move to ASICS is essential.

The high reward paid to miners indirectly funds the R&D necessary to make the move the transition to ASICs.  Hopefully mining will be a large enough "pie" that we will see 4 to 6 well capitalized ASIC suppliers.  2013 is going to be an interesting year.  If the network has moved to ASICs by the end of the year it permanently removes that "cheat card" vulnerability.  Sure an attacker can still use ASICs to attack Bitcoin (but they always could) however they wouldn't be able to gain a massive economic advantage (i.e. $2M in ASICS 51% attacking $20M in GPUs).

I like your point about the mining reward funding ASIC development.

The thing about ASICs is they have a higher efficiency than GPUs. So they will be able to continue mining even when the GPUs are no longer profitable to run. This means that the overall power use of the network could go down while the security of the network continues to rise. Good for bitcoin, good for the environment.

One way to look at it: the price goes up as more people save money using bitcoins. As they save more money, the cost to keep that money safe goes up.

zif33rs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:37:04 PM

It would be ok if I had a bigger slice of the pie!   Tongue
zif

The only problem I see is that a small number of people are ending up with a majority of the wealth...just as we have in fiat.

New to bitcoin? Want to mine? Not sure where to start out?
Check out www.hostedmining.com
Donations and Tips  btc - 1MkjKHpZbSaRepeYaAcmRMcqt8o3HKQCF   ltc  - LNz48TP8MZmke38qbZD5gXi53KrktbJG7V  ftc  - 6iDt92cyDvxXkrDhCzMh4zEmK1b9PqShs4
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:50:28 PM

Just to give us something to compare to, I looked up the financial statement of Visa:

If I am reading it right, in 2012 they had expenses of 2.47 billion dollars, revenue of 10.42 billion dollars, leaving 7.95 billion dollars profits.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/v/financials

The 118 million per year to miners seems like a lot for a network so much smaller than Visa? I would be surprised if bitcoin was 1% as big as the Visa network, anybody know a good way to measure it?

mai77

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 03:54:30 PM

that is a huge rip-off !

they are far too greedy !

STOP IT !

encourage "bitcoin free transaction relay policy"
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:02:24 PM

The value of the coins created by miners is the value which people place upon the value of bitcoins.  People who think miners receive too much don't buy coins, reducing the demand and therefore reducing the value of mined coins.

As for most of the wealth concentrated amongst relative few individuals; I think that's an inevitable artifact of a free market and not really related to governments or fiat money or anything like that. Wink

Relatively few people have the skills or are willing to take the high risk (e.g., investors) required to become extremely wealthy, so there are relatively few extremely wealthy people. (There are definitely exceptions, like inheritance or theft & theft-like activity such as scams, fraud, etc. but I'd think those cases are more exception than rule)

Back to mining; there's a huge risk required to make a profit by mining.  Some can argue that mining is a high risk yet low yield investment.  Mining hardware is not cheap, buying ASIC preorders is both expensive and risky, and there's no guarantee of bitcoin's value making ROI calculations into both speculation and science.  Mining profitably is a skill and those who do it well are paid accordingly as with any other venture.
mai77

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:11:18 PM

what utter bull, mitty
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:18:50 PM

The money earned through mining should be reinvested in mining hardware to ensure the stability of the network (to keep it decentralized).
mai77

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:27:44 PM

well how much more does their revenue have to rise until folks have enough of it ?
Prattler

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:30:43 PM

Litecoin is $16,000 per day  Shocked

If litecoin can do $16,000 / day, bitcoin can do $1M / day, no problem!
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:53:28 PM

Litecoin is $16,000 per day  Shocked

If litecoin can do $16,000 / day, bitcoin can do $1M / day, no problem!

If Federal Reserves Ben Shalom can do billions per day Bitcoin can do millions per day Smiley
mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:21:26 PM

what utter bull, mitty
Care to explain?  Other than "create a relay free transactions policy"? (btw, free transactions are relayed all the time; transactions with a fee just have priority)

Miners provide a service to the network in exchange for a reward.  They would not provide this service at the current level (i.e., hashrate) without the reward.
Peter Lambert (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:40:03 PM

that is a huge rip-off !

they are far too greedy !

STOP IT !

encourage "bitcoin free transaction relay policy"

This has nothing to do with the transaction fee. This is about the 25 btc block reward. The transaction fees are added on top of that.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 05:41:01 PM

what utter bull, mitty

I didn't see a single thing wrong with what he said.

mai77

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:16:58 PM

what utter bull, mitty

because you're both some brainwashed neoliberal ****
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:22:41 PM

It's obviously way more than enough to prevent double spends.  But the inflation schedule is not debatable, and the exchange rate is not controllable, so go be windbags about something else.
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 06:23:25 PM

what utter bull, mitty

because you're both some brainwashed neoliberal ****

Don't know if troll or just not very bright.

You should read up on how and why bitcoin security works. The whole mining game is zero-sum. Apart from a select lucky few, they are spending pretty much as much on electricity and hardware as they are earning.

If you think they are getting too much money for it, why don't you try it yourself and see how it works out for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: