Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:52:57 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: This is hilarious...  (Read 4142 times)
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 07:56:27 PM

You guys laugh, but in many circumstances, Western Union kicks bitcoin's balls in like an experienced prostitute being manhandled in an alleyway.

The only complaint I have about WU is that the Korean banks are tied in with them (there is no WU branch in Korea that isn't at a bank teller's window), so they really don't like using it for certain amounts, in any certain frequency, etc. One time I went in and they made me wait 3 hours, just to tell me that I wasn't allowed to receive money from that bank branch again until I opened an account, then told me that I might as well just wire it through their bank instead.

Other than that single case in Korea, I think WU is not only better than Bitcoin (no exchange fees, wire fees, loss of value due to market fluctuation, can use credit card, etc) at sending money overseas, why anyone would prefer bitcoin who doesn't already have it is beyond me. Now for people who already hold bitcoins, obviously WU is a step backwards, of course.

Nonsense. I have used Western Union extensively over the years to send money remittances abroad (twice a month for the last 6 years alone) and recently got the whole thing switched to Bitcoin. Not only am I saving money on their insane fees, but if you have to convert currencies, their exchange rates are obscene! Bitcoin and localbitcoins.com has taken care of that.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 08:06:33 PM

I hope the rise of Bitcoin puts WU out of business, those scammers!  $10 fee to send $500 is ridiculous.  And people complain about mining fees!

How much does it cost to take $500 USD, send it to an exchange, buy BTC on the market, send it to someone, have them sell it on the market at a different exchange, wire it to themselves, then take it out of an ATM? $45+? Thought so.

WU are not scammers. WU is basically a centralized version of bitcoin, but where everything is closed up and behind curtains. Take a breath.

$500 -> Dwolla: $.25
$500 Dwolla -> MtGox: $.25
$500 MtGox -> X BTC: $2.75
XBTC -> International recipient XBTC: less than a penny
XBTC -> MtGox $500: $2.75
$500 MtGox -> Dwolla: $.25
Dwolla -> $500: $.25

Total cost: $6.50
ATM fee if withdrawing cash: $2.00 (if not using your bank ATM)
New Total: $8.50 (if not using your own bank ATM)

And that is international transfer, and the recipient can cash out in their own currency and not pay extra for currency exchange. And a bigger bonus...they could just keep it in Bitcoins and spend it.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:07:36 PM

And that is international transfer, and the recipient can cash out in their own currency and not pay extra for currency exchange. And a bigger bonus...they could just keep it in Bitcoins and spend it.

And this, my friends, is what we refer to as "Le Royal Smackdown"

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:44:29 PM

I hope the rise of Bitcoin puts WU out of business, those scammers!  $10 fee to send $500 is ridiculous.  And people complain about mining fees!

How much does it cost to take $500 USD, send it to an exchange, buy BTC on the market, send it to someone, have them sell it on the market at a different exchange, wire it to themselves, then take it out of an ATM? $45+? Thought so.

WU are not scammers. WU is basically a centralized version of bitcoin, but where everything is closed up and behind curtains. Take a breath.

Cost of lost opportunity while you wait a week for your MtGox ID to be verified?

WU delivers in 30 minutes in most cases. I think I'd prefer paying the extra $1.50 for that.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 09:42:43 PM

Cost of lost opportunity while you wait a week for your MtGox ID to be verified?

WU delivers in 30 minutes in most cases. I think I'd prefer paying the extra $1.50 for that.

The international transfers I saw on WU's website showed a 3 day transfer unless you do it all online.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BeetcoinScummer

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:37:04 AM

This example is contrived and is not really possible as there is no Dwolla outside the US.

If there were is would just be a (Bank -> Dwolla -> Dwolla -> Bank) transfer for $0.75 total.

In many places outside the US it is still difficult to convert BTC back to local currency.
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:48:58 AM

Isn't Dwolla only usable if you're in the US, making it unsuitable for international transfers?

J.Socal

Activity: 495

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:47:42 AM

sadly true :/ bitcoins biggest issue is getting them. we need a solution to this.
http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2013/3/25/worlds-first-bitcoin-atm-is-announced-first-location-cyprus.html
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:59:51 AM

As time passes and more and more people get bitcoins, the problem will solve itself.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:07:56 PM

As time passes and more and more people get bitcoins, the problem will solve itself.

If that's even true, then so be it. The issue with the above statements however is that it's bitcoin fanboy nonsense. Western Union kicks Bitcoin's ass as a value *transfer* system atm IF you don't already have the bitcoins, AND your receiving party won't be holding bitcoins. No arguing around it.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:13:17 PM

You've clearly never experienced the WU refusal to pay you because they don't believe you are who you say you are (because someone forgot to put your middle name, or middle initial, exactly as it appears on the ID you're showing to the WU clerk, for example, or because WU needs to call the sender to verify the amount because it's more than what the recipient country's WU accepts without verification). I have... not a pretty picture.
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:25:11 PM

WOW you americans are such suckers for this.

$10 for US money transfer is.... expensive.

Forget bitcoins because... frankly its still high due to concentrated exchanges.

But.... paypal? Dwolla?

I mean heck dont you have any other transfer thro your banks?

Unless..... you have dirty cash money( which i believe WU isnt that stupid)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 06:26:35 PM

Forget bitcoins because... frankly its still high due to concentrated exchanges.

But.... paypal? Dwolla?

In general, I'd agree, because even here in Korea you can send wire transfers for free and withdraw from ATMs for free in many cases, no special subscriptions, banking on your mobile phone, computer, by phone call, etc, no extra fees. That said, when you need to get $1000 in 30 minutes, good luck with bitcoin.

Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 06:39:52 PM

But.... paypal? Dwolla?

In general, I'd agree, because even here in Korea you can send wire transfers for free and withdraw from ATMs for free in many cases, no special subscriptions, banking on your mobile phone, computer, by phone call, etc, no extra fees. That said, when you need to get $1000 in 30 minutes, good luck with bitcoin.

Bitcoin ATM.

You lose.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 06:41:12 PM

If that's even true, then so be it. The issue with the above statements however is that it's bitcoin fanboy nonsense. Western Union kicks Bitcoin's ass as a value *transfer* system atm IF you don't already have the bitcoins, AND your receiving party won't be holding bitcoins. No arguing around it.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

you get to pay the 3% tax (inflation, conservatively), while your receiving party's bitcoins increased many times in value.

Sending $500 with Western Union in Canada costs a lot more than $10. Its $35. I wonder what their excuse is. Canada is big?

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:34:32 PM

Married to a filipino girl who uses WU on ocassion matthew is pretty spot on. I totally cringe at the thought trying to work with her family in making an international bitcoin transfer happen so they end up with pesos. It would be a nightmare. WU? Pretty simple and fast. Always a close location for them to goto. Wire money to them prob cost about the same but heck knows if they have a bank account. Ppl forget what it is like to be truly poor.

And the only reason it would be remotely feasible to attempt bitcoin is because i am established.
2-4 days to get usd to dwolla from checking account. Buy bitcoins at gox. Send the btc to a family members bitcoin cell phone app? They have no internet access all the time. They pay as they go which aint often. Then they do god knows what with some possibly odd ppl who could screw them over to get pesos. Days later after they asked for money they get it.

A nightmare.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:48:28 PM

Bitcoin is still too small. Once there are local stores that accept you won't have to get in and get out of it.  Wink
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:56:25 PM

Western Union could probably lower their fees by using bitcoin.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:02:21 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 09:27:17 PM by JackRabiit

Western union is so 1851.  Bitcoins mind you...
This is an extremely valid point, Bitcoin hasnt even had 5 years to build infastructure, I'd say Bitcoins are doing pretty DAMN good so far

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:19:29 AM

Muhahahaaa

PS: TsuyokuNaritai , Lesswrong reader?

Haha, I was wondering the same thing.

Cool, my secret handshake works. Cool

Are there many on bitcointalk from the Bayesian Conspiracy? Wink

I'd have thought there'd be quite a lot, for various reasons...  Grin

I swear it's not a cult mom and dad.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀