Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:05:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending bitcoin using email instead of bitcoin address  (Read 711 times)
angelo (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:00:12 PM

Is there any way to send/receive bitcoin using email?
btc2cards

Activity: 8

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 04:13:34 PM

What do you exacly means? The only way to send a BTC is sending it to a bitcoin address as far as I know
angelo (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:11:43 PM

For example, link my email to a bitcoin address and then use that email instead. Is there any security reason so people don't use email to send or receive?
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:16:18 PM
Last edit: March 27, 2013, 09:52:25 PM by Gator-hex

You can make an offline paper wallet and send that instead by e-mail or even traditional mail. But don't forget that e-mail is not secure.

angelo (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:05:30 PM

Can anyone explain what is secure in bitcoin sending and receiving? I see people post their bitcoin address everywhere. Why is that secure at all?
gskellig

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:07:50 PM

Can anyone explain what is secure in bitcoin sending and receiving? I see people post their bitcoin address everywhere. Why is that secure at all?

The wallet ID is only for receiving and sending. It doesn't give anybody access to using it. However it is possible to look up history and current balance of a walletID.
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:13:49 PM

Yes, you can send your wallet.dat or just ASCII list of private keys via email. Why would you want to do this?

yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:15:51 PM

For example, link my email to a bitcoin address and then use that email instead. Is there any security reason so people don't use email to send or receive?

Oh yes, if they invented whole p2p network for this, instead of just using email, be sure, there are security reasons.

AFAIU, the problem with sending e-money via email is possibility of double spending. Bitcoin algorithm ensures that double spending is not possible (at least not easily possible).

angelo (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:18:03 PM

What I want to have is something like email address easy to remember.

For example, you can send to my paypal foo@gmail.com.

I want something like a easy-to-remember name instead of a long string.
yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 11:25:38 PM

What I want to have is something like email address easy to remember.

For example, you can send to my paypal foo@gmail.com.

I want something like a easy-to-remember name instead of a long string.

Bunch of online services allow to do this. Coinbase allows you to send money to any coinbase account using email address as id.

BigJohn

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:15:46 AM

Another thing you could do is send the Bitcoins to a new address that you start, then send the wallet file (which grants access to that address) to someone through e-mail. Then he can spend those coins. The problem there is that he has no way of knowing if you kept a copy yourself. But if it's between people you trust, then that could work.
txoomy

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:51:57 AM

In Canada, https://www.bitcoinscanada.ca does their transfers through email, aka Interac e-Transfer, previously known as email-transfer in Canadian banks. I've used them. Works fine. I don't have any recommendations for outside of Canada.
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:56:16 AM

The addresses (public key) you see everywhere are only for receiving BTC.  You can only spend them with the private key.
bitsidian

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:08:27 AM

I think we'll need to wait until someone comes up with the equivalent of Paypal is made for BTC.

Bitpal? Paybit? Bitbit? Paypay? Who knows.
frga13

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:42:48 AM

look at this service, could be right direction...
https://thewalletlist.com/
fooman

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:29:07 AM

I agree this would be useful, I'm always nervous that I missed a character when sending my address around.  Having a human-friendly alias system would help alleviate those fears.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: