Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:24:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The safest wallet?  (Read 31162 times)
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2016, 09:16:56 AM

I've never had any problems using Online Wallets.I started using BTC 2 years ago and I only use Blockchain.info.
Never had problems with them..Not sure about other users though..  Roll Eyes
Same i have been using an online wallet for over two years now with no problems but it doesn't mean i don't take precautions.
I use an online wallet out of nessaisty because it makes buying coins quick and easy but as soon as those coins clear i move everything bar maybe 0.1btc to a paper wallet.

So an online wallet can be useful but i don't know how you sleep at night leaving any sufficient amount of bitcoins online.

Techie5879

Activity: 168
Merit: 11

Back from the Dead!

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 10:54:38 AM

There is no official wallet. Lets make that clear right away. I personally use blockchain.info as it has many security options and many benefits. It allows 2FA, has the ability to block TOR, and also has a fast transaction network. But otherwise, I would suggest going with paper wallets and Electrum wallet, the idea is to split up your assets as much as possible. as there is a lesser possibility of all your wallets getting hacked simultaneously. But if security concerns you, I can assure that blockchain.info online wallet is one of the most secure ones out there.
Red John

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 12:26:14 PM

Safest one is paper wallet, I'm storing my long-term deposits  with paper wallet, don't trust e-wallets like coinbase or blockchain, can be hacked any time. There's no guarantee
TreeOfDeath

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 06:33:40 PM

So i mostly use blockchainBTC wallet, i think so that is the most popular wallet.
Some people talk about paper wallet, so its not the safest way to secure your BITCOINS.

And now a days hackings are done by anyway so we could not do anything, we should just be careful about this and pray to GOD that never our wallet
gets HACKED! Grin
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 08:56:39 PM

So i mostly use blockchainBTC wallet, i think so that is the most popular wallet.
Some people talk about paper wallet, so its not the safest way to secure your BITCOINS.

And now a days hackings are done by anyway so we could not do anything, we should just be careful about this and pray to GOD that never our wallet
gets HACKED! Grin

Hahaha nice joke, by praying to god will your wallet wont hack, everything depend on your habit of using your wallet. If you are using desktop wallet then keep it safe by not downloading any usual exe files or software which if got installed you computer gets hacked. Dont run to ponzi and download any thing. Keep your computer safe by installing antivirus. If you do this two main things then you wallet are all safe and even all your documents in your comp are safe.
tardi

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 08:39:56 AM

The safest wallet would be for you to remember all the characters of the private key of your address and then destroy both the public and private keys.
Straux

Activity: 412
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 11:43:39 PM

Its hilarious, the naivety of the OP.

Paper wallets are only so secure as the device that you are printing it from is. Malware can easily spot a Bitcoin private key/we and take it.

An electrum wallet on a USB can be accessed by a hacker as soon as you plug it in. If he gets the private key, it doesnt matter if you have the USB out or in.
error08

Activity: 1036
Merit: 514

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:27:22 AM

The safest wallet would only be safe if you secure your computer and keys well. Even if you are only using Multibit Classic but then have taken measures to secure it and use encryption then I do think that hackers will have a hard time stealing from you.

For example you are still using Multibit Classic which is considered obsolete. But you can still secure this.

What you should do is zip the folder that contains all your keys and the rest of the data and put a strong password in that zip file, also do not forget to delete the original folder. That is the first layer. Then use Cryptomator and make an encrypted folder then cut the zip file in there. Make sure you use a different password for your encrypted folder. That is the second layer. The third layer would be the password of your wallet or wallets in Multibit.

If you feel uncomfortable leaving that in your computer then move the zip file containing your keys and all the data in a USB. Also do not forget to make back ups.
With all of those security layer will be enough to be safe? I think so.
Bitcoin security regarding how to storing bitcoin and which wallet or exchanges to choose.
I don't put trust on exchanges, each one of them due to hacker always try to attack them who hold big amount of bitcoin. Bitcoin cold storage maybe safe enough but an issue to them an you will adversity to withdraw yours bitcoin.
An offline wallet seems safer such as electrum and paper wallet to saving bitcoin, but to use an online wallet as daily transaction is okay as long as you are careful and know to be safe.
mixan
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

TRUMP IS DOING THE BEST! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 03:46:02 AM
Last edit: December 18, 2016, 05:57:54 AM by mixan

I would suggest a hardware wallet like ledger and only plug it into a computer that you know and not use publicly.
That is your safest bet incase you are scared of having your wallet comprised.
I would also suggest reading this post on the subject of usb drives used as wallets to get a good grasp on the subject of using them:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1717930

The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men.
Ashong Salonga

Activity: 882
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 18, 2016, 07:14:51 AM

gets HACKED! Grin
We should not wait the hackers attack our wallet.
Best thing to do is not to download any file online in your computer if you are logged in with your bitcoin wallet.
If you really need to download any file to your computer, then sign it out first so that if you run that file incase it has a malware, your saved account won't get from you.
Additionally, never use one wallet only.

▄███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
████████████▀▀░░░░███
███████████▌░░░░░░███
███████████░░░░██████
███████████░░░░██████
████████░░░░░░░░░░▐██
████████░░░░░░░░░░███

███████████░░░░██████

███████████░░░░██████

███████████░░░░██████

███████████░░░░██████

▀██████████░░░░█████▀
▄███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
████▀██████▀░░░▀▀▄███
████░░▀▀███░░░░░░▄███
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░▐████
████▄░░░░░░░░░░░█████
█████▀░░░░░░░░░▄█████

████▀█▄░░░░░░░▄██████

█████▄░░░░░▄▄████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

▀███████████████████▀
▄███████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
███░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░███
██░░▄█████████▀▀▄░░██
██░░███▀▀░░░▀▀▄▄█░░██
██░░██▀░▄███▄░▀██░░██
██░░██░░█████░░██░░██
██░░██▄░▀███▀░▄██░░██

██░░███▄▄░░░▄▄███░░██

██░░▀███████████▀░░██

███░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░███

█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████

▀███████████████████▀
▄███████████████████▄
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████▀▀▀████
██████████▀▀░░░░▐████
██████▀▀░░░▄▀░░░█████
████░░░░▄▄▀░░░░▐█████
██████▄▐█░░░░░░██████

███████▌▌░░░░░▐██████

████████▄██▄▄░███████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

▀███████████████████▀
Bitcoin0916

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 21, 2016, 02:05:19 AM

I've never had any problems using Online Wallets.I started using BTC 2 years ago and I only use Blockchain.info.
If you use blockchain.info, please don't clear cookies. I recommend use blocktrail. After wallet blocktrail in acquisition by bitmain, I am sure this is the safest wallet. As the biggest a company of bitcoin miners, certainly impossible their scam. I think it's time you switch bitcoin wallet to blocktrail.
DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2016, 06:29:39 AM

Show me a wallet software that can resist memory patching or sniffing.. Besides hardware wallets of course, and those even potentially have holes over the USB firmware.

I run Electrum on Tails and other systems and just keep cold storage on an air-gapped embedded x86 box.. I use U2F and hardware wallets for some things with smaller amounts. I also have a virtual-server I run behind my NAT for signing sometimes when I sale coins face to face locally.

Something little to no people here realize: There aren't really any security researchers(at least competent ones) fuzzing or looking at code for any of these back-ends OR clients.. All these startups and their development practices are very economical till they are not.. People with crap technical knowledge shouldn't be hiring third-world programmers on the cheap to help roll out public infrastructure that have bold claims of security.. This is why you see by-monthy problems and it isn't just because "well it's new tech working out kinks".. If you don't know what you're doing you have no business doing financial infrastructure..

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
December 23, 2016, 12:26:51 PM

Bitcoin (includes and other cryptocurrencies) is the only payment system which does not need third party trust entities. In my opinion someone seriously has involvement with bitcoins need more than on wallet. Needs a web wallet for every day micropayment transactions; needs a hot wallet because bitcoin is internet money and we always need an internet connection. At last we need a cold storage wallet. In bitcoin era there are no banks to have our savings. So we are absolutely responsible to protect our funds. The best nowadays, imo, way for savings is a cold storage. So we need at least three wallets. Which wallets are the safest among all of these software or hardware is under consideration.
bitkilo
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1010

https://www.bitcoin.com/

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2016, 01:03:30 AM

If you use blockchain.info, please don't clear cookies. I recommend use blocktrail. After wallet blocktrail in acquisition by bitmain, I am sure this is the safest wallet. As the biggest a company of bitcoin miners, certainly impossible their scam. I think it's time you switch bitcoin wallet to blocktrail.
Thanks for reminding me about that. I have still yet to try out the blocktrail wallet even know i have used their explorer hundreds of times.
If i find some spare time tonight i will check it out.

I still think the best storage is to always split your funds up among a couple of different methods.
Personally i use a paper wallet for cold storage, a desktop client for advanced payments and an online wallet that is always empty except for the 2min between buying the coins and moving them to an address i control.

kurbeks

Activity: 1078
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 08:25:47 AM

What would be best way to store few bitcoins. Cold storage, Armory?

Thanx!
mr.bitcoinerf11

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 08:52:55 AM

What would be best way to store few bitcoins. Cold storage, Armory?

Thanx!
cold storage

▬▬▬▬▬▬ BeOne ICO  ■ Blockchain revolutionizes education ■ BeOne ICO ▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread Facebook Telegram Twitter
■ ICO on September 7 ■ Bonus up to 50%
kurbeks

Activity: 1078
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 09:05:06 AM

Thanx.

Any other better options than Armory?
DuddlyDoRight

Activity: 318

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2016, 09:33:44 AM

Anyone capable of explaining of how Armory is better than Electrum? Please don't say security cause no.. I can make cold storage in Electrum in five steps and multi-sig not many more.. It has hardware support too..

I have faith that one day this forum will get threads where people won't just repeat their previous posts or what others have already stated in the same thread. Also that people will stop acting like BTC is toy-money and start holding vendors accountable. Naive? Maybe.
mr.bitcoinerf11

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 09:38:46 AM

Anyone capable of explaining of how Armory is better than Electrum? Please don't say security cause no.. I can make cold storage in Electrum in five steps and multi-sig not many more.. It has hardware support too..
there is no better both armory/electrum have offline offline access
also you can sign offline transaction with them tho

▬▬▬▬▬▬ BeOne ICO  ■ Blockchain revolutionizes education ■ BeOne ICO ▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread Facebook Telegram Twitter
■ ICO on September 7 ■ Bonus up to 50%
tech_solutions

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 11:29:28 AM

So I mostly use paper wallets for storage which is a risk since if I lose the paper then thats it, game over. I been looking for alternatives and a friend told me he simply runs electrum portable from a USB flashdrive only when he needs to send money, then unplugs it meaning that the wallet and the .dat are both offline

Now while is a bit easier to use than a paper wallet the biggest advantage IMHO is that he got a seed so even if he loses the flashdrive he can get his wallet back.

Should I switch to that method? what are the possible vulnerabilities of it?

And before someone mentions "hardware wallet" I live in a country with some heavy import restrictions (on top of fiscal ones) so I rather not order something that could get me questioned by custom officials.

Ya it is true that using electrum is very easy and even if you lose the wallet dat file if you have the passprass key then anywhere you can reload the wallet and iam using it for long time , and even you dont have to worry of using the bitcoin wallet for any purpose as some online wallet bans the account if you use it for gambling or adult sites. Hardware wallet are also good but same import duty charges are high in some country which makes it costly.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: