Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:15:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The safest wallet?  (Read 31160 times)
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 08, 2017, 09:14:13 PM

Depends on your place located like here in the philippines we have our online wallet which is coins.ph that is so accessible.

Yes, I agree with you, it totally depends on where you are located because there are some country that have their own coin and online wallet that makes their country men feels easy and to those who does not have they uses blockchain.info

For beginners, I think blockchain.info is the best choice as it is easy to create the wallet, to use it, and you can access this anywhere. Also, I think the site has no restrictions in most countries. At least so far, I don't know any country that prohibits its use.

Web wallets are probably one of the best ways to go for beginners, but it's also fairly easy to setup an online desktop wallet too. I believe it's BitPay's PC wallet that has step by step instructions that you have to click through after you download it, and some of the slides you have to click through even educate you on bitcoin and best security practices.
caxandra

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 12:05:55 AM

To store bitcoin, I print 4 copies of heavily encrypted paper wallet and store it in 4 safe different locations. Its almost impossible to lose my money to a thief too, since the encryption key is only in my head and my fiat bank deposit box.

I think this method is the safest method of storing bitcoin, though it can take some time to spend it, so I would only recommend it for cold storage, such as savings or funds to be spent on a later date.
zidanw

Activity: 1162
Merit: 258

1xbit.com

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 03:27:28 AM

So I mostly use paper wallets for storage which is a risk since if I lose the paper then thats it, game over. I been looking for alternatives and a friend told me he simply runs electrum portable from a USB flashdrive only when he needs to send money, then unplugs it meaning that the wallet and the .dat are both offline

Now while is a bit easier to use than a paper wallet the biggest advantage IMHO is that he got a seed so even if he loses the flashdrive he can get his wallet back.

Should I switch to that method? what are the possible vulnerabilities of it?

And before someone mentions "hardware wallet" I live in a country with some heavy import restrictions (on top of fiscal ones) so I rather not order something that could get me questioned by custom officials.
honestly i have not using electrum i think it's quite nice to be tried

Advantages

- Does not require any registration.
- Can be used at any time as long as there is internet. Do not depend on a website. So no word website was maintenance.
- No need to wait long to download the entire database -BlockChain very large like Bitcoin wallet Core / Armory.
- Backup is very easy. just record and keep the confidentiality of 12 words secret given at the beginning.
- You are safe from phishing (fake websites that steal your passwords)

1xBit.com TICKET RUSH
                                       ▄██▄▄
    ▄▄▄▀▀█████▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄    ▄███████▄
  ▄▀      ▀█▀      ▀▄        ▄█████████████████▄
 ██▌       █       ▐██      ▄████████████████▀▀██
████▄▄   ▄▄█▄▄   ▄▄████   ▄████████████████▀████
██▀   ▀▀███████▀▀   ▀██▄▄██████████████▀▀███▄▄██
█        █████        ██████████████▀██████▀▀ ▄▀
█       █     █       ███████████▀▀███▀▀▀▀▄▀▀
 █▄▄▄▄▄▀       ▀▄▄▄▄█████████████▀▀
  ▀████▄       ▄███████████████▀▀
    ▀▀▀██▄▄▄▄▄███████████████
               ████████▀▀
               ▀█▄▄▀ ▀
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
BET ON
WORLD CUP &
COLLECT TICKETS!
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
TAKE PART
██████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
GMPoison

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2017, 03:34:52 AM

So I mostly use paper wallets for storage which is a risk since if I lose the paper then thats it, game over. I been looking for alternatives and a friend told me he simply runs electrum portable from a USB flashdrive only when he needs to send money, then unplugs it meaning that the wallet and the .dat are both offline

Now while is a bit easier to use than a paper wallet the biggest advantage IMHO is that he got a seed so even if he loses the flashdrive he can get his wallet back.

And before someone mentions "hardware wallet" I live in a country with some heavy import restrictions (on top of fiscal ones) so I rather not order something that could get me questioned by custom officials.
honestly i have not using electrum i think it's quite nice to be tried

Advantages

- Does not require any registration.
- Can be used at any time as long as there is internet. Do not depend on a website. So no word website was maintenance.
- No need to wait long to download the entire database -BlockChain very large like Bitcoin wallet Core / Armory.
- Backup is very easy. just record and keep the confidentiality of 12 words secret given at the beginning.
- You are safe from phishing (fake websites that steal your passwords)

I believe they support multisig as well!
Wowcoin

Activity: 910
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 10, 2017, 11:48:13 AM

To store bitcoin, I print 4 copies of heavily encrypted paper wallet and store it in 4 safe different locations. Its almost impossible to lose my money to a thief too, since the encryption key is only in my head and my fiat bank deposit box.

I think this method is the safest method of storing bitcoin, though it can take some time to spend it, so I would only recommend it for cold storage, such as savings or funds to be spent on a later date.

I only use only one wallet for the main time because everytime bitcoin is received, I immediately converted to fiat currency used in my country and cash out to trusted bank recommended by the online wallet site. For now that method is still the best and maybe the right time to hold is not yet ready for future plans.
hinterlog

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 06:03:36 AM

I don't understand which country has issues with hot wallets - can you disclose which continent or country? (apologise if it has been mentioned above)
onnz423

Activity: 840
Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
January 11, 2017, 10:59:22 PM

If you are willing to invest, trezor or ledgerwallet nano S. If you are storing over 0.2 btc, you might want to look onto hardware wallets because probably they are your besr bet regarding safety. Of course you should generate the seeds for example ledgeewallet on a computer that is disconnected from the internet.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

███████████████████████████
████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
ArabMist

Activity: 107

View Profile
January 12, 2017, 08:18:16 PM

If you are willing to invest, trezor or ledgerwallet nano S. If you are storing over 0.2 btc, you might want to look onto hardware wallets because probably they are your besr bet regarding safety. Of course you should generate the seeds for example ledgeewallet on a computer that is disconnected from the internet.

Trezor over Mycelium rooted through TOR orbot seems like a solid option. Can't see anything beating that for privacy and security.
jeraldskie11

Activity: 1274
Merit: 356

SOL.BIOKRIPT.COM

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 12:00:22 AM

Even the online wallets are safe like blockchain and coinbase cause that is the most secure and trusted online wallets. They change the bitcoin address if you receive a bitcoin so its hard to detect or scammed by hackers who wants to steal your money. Also the paper wallets safety it is also have a chance to lose your money even if you save it to your sd card then the sd card has lost also your money will lost so its almost the same for me.

B.I.O.K.R.I.P.T|
  BiokriptX Fair Launch is now live in PINKSALE
|🟣 Twitter
🔵 Facebook
🟣 Telegram
bitcoin31

Activity: 1834
Merit: 523

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 09:19:20 AM

Even the online wallets are safe like blockchain and coinbase cause that is the most secure and trusted online wallets. They change the bitcoin address if you receive a bitcoin so its hard to detect or scammed by hackers who wants to steal your money. Also the paper wallets safety it is also have a chance to lose your money even if you save it to your sd card then the sd card has lost also your money will lost so its almost the same for me.
I think as of now the safest wallet now is blockchain because. It can change the bitcoin address it helpful to not detect or scammed by the hackers who wants to get your bitcoin. As of now coinbase have many issues because this wallet people said after transfer to coinbase did not arrived bitcoin in wallet  and its already confirmed txid.  One case also person bought 1 btc to coinbase but did not arrived in his wallet. My all bitcoin in coinbase was transferred yesterday to blockchain . I want to recover issue in coinbase before I transfer again my bitcoin to this wallet.
onnz423

Merit: 508

Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 09:31:02 AM

Trezor over Mycelium rooted through TOR orbot seems like a solid option. Can't see anything beating that for privacy and security.

Yeah maybe not on mobile, i have never had a trezor tho is it any good? I currently only own ledger wallet nano, and i have owned it for a year or so.
Works pretty well, it is cheap and easy to use over USB OTG cable. Also the positive thing is that you can verify transactions with your phone (does not work all the times tho).
I can heavily recommend it.

I think as of now the safest wallet now is blockchain because. It can change the bitcoin address it helpful to not detect or scammed by the hackers who wants to get your bitcoin. As of now coinbase have many issues because this wallet people said after transfer to coinbase did not arrived bitcoin in wallet  and its already confirmed txid.  One case also person bought 1 btc to coinbase but did not arrived in his wallet. My all bitcoin in coinbase was transferred yesterday to blockchain . I want to recover issue in coinbase before I transfer again my bitcoin to this wallet.

I think that using web wallets generally is a bad idea (even if you are holding your own keys). Does blockchain have access to your private keys? If answer to this is yes, it is not safe.
I have no personal experience with blockchain's wallet, but i do know that greenaddress atleast is pretty safe because of 2FA, SMS confirmation and you are holding your own keys.
Personally i prefer using Ledger wallet and electrum on PC, and mycelium on android.

▄▄██████▄▄
  ████████████
███▄▄
 ██████████████▀▀▀██▄
████████████████   ▀██▄
████████████████     ▀██
██████████████       ██▌
██████████████        ▐██
██▌▀▀██████▀▀         ▐██
▐██                   ██▌
 ██▄                 ▄██
  ▀██▄             ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄▄     ▄▄▄██▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

████████▀▀       ▀▀████████
█████▀   ▄ ▀███▀ ▄   ▀█████
████  ▄████▄ ▀ ▄████▄  ████
███  ▄ ▀███▀ ▄ ▀███▀ ▄  ███
██  ▄██ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ██▄  ██
██  █▀ ▄█ ███████ █▄ ▀█  ██
██   ▄███▄ █████ ▄███▄   ██
███  ████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀████  ███
████  ▀ ▄ ▀█████▀ ▄ ▀  ████
█████▄  ▀▀▄ ███ ▄▀▀  ▄█████
████████▄▄       ▄▄████████

█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
January 15, 2017, 10:54:42 AM

That is far from true. Blockchain.info wallet is an easy, very popular and convenient wallet but is not among the safest ones like as any web wallet. This was my first wallet and has a nice feature where anyone can pair his web wallet with his smartphone. but unfortunately lacks some useful features like as exporting private addresses, sign messages etc. Beyond that if you search the web you will easily find that few months ago was hijacked and many web wallets were not accessible http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/52216/hacking/blockchain-info-dns-hijacking.html. If you really want a more secure wallet here is a link to go https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
bitloud

Activity: 68

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 11:00:35 AM

I am recommending papper wallet for store your Bitcoins. But the risky factor is you need to keep it safely without any damage.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 12:32:05 PM

There have been instances in the past where online wallets have been hacked (inputs.io for example). So your safest bet would be an offline storage wallet like a paper wallet or a USB drive one like you mentioned.
ArthurY

Merit: 254

I love BTC

View Profile
January 18, 2017, 07:12:09 PM

I think here don't have better wallet then original core. But to support core wallet you should have a good hardrive and good capacity on him...

Best simple and easy wallet which I saw for laptop is Electrum. Also is good choose blockchain.info for online wallet

Totally all its depend on your requirements. If you want to store large amount should use original core

If amount which you are able to loose you can use some others wallets with good reputation

Sophisticated Investor
Drnice

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 12:49:59 AM

it is up to you to switch and you have to switch, because, when your hardware wallet gets missing everything inside of it gets missing too( Now while is a bit easier to use than a paper wallet the biggest advantage
IMHO is that he got a seed so even if he loses the flashdrive he can get his
wallet back.)

try to get more details from him, things like how it works, how to maintain it and some or all the set backs he knows about it, that can help you very well.
rchstr

Activity: 546
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:47:30 AM

I suggest that you try online wallets, theres a recommened wallet posted in this forum. There is also a download link. But i think it has a bigger transaction fee. Or you can try blockchain. Many uses it and it is legit. Your funds are safe there. I think it is more convinient to use online wallets if you are always connected to the internet.
lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 10:34:56 AM

blockchain, for me, if a good choice if you don't wanna synchronize the whole hundreds gigabytes of transaction histories; as long as you can remember a strong password. they need an identifier and/or an email (if you lost your identifier), so people will hardly guess your wallet code.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
the.jack20

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:09:41 PM

The most sensible way to back up your wallet is to keep the seed words. This method is both simple and practical. If you do not want your computer to be entered by hackers and your wallet information to be stolen, you can use linux. Linux is more secure against malware. You can print your seed words on a piece of paper and store it in a steel safe.
Babayega31

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Cryptocurrency Wallet - Denaro.io

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 08:21:40 PM

I suggest that you try online wallets, theres a recommened wallet posted in this forum. There is also a download link. But i think it has a bigger transaction fee. Or you can try blockchain. Many uses it and it is legit. Your funds are safe there. I think it is more convinient to use online wallets if you are always connected to the internet.

Yes I am using online wallet and its really recommended here in my country, which is also used by my friends. I know online wallet is safe for the main time while you received your payments but the most safe one is to convert your btc to fiat currency in the wallet optional menu, and then cash-out through recommended bank. That method is very safe I guess, because storing your converted btc in offline banks could not be hacked and its not vulnerable to web attacks or best options can be stored at your personal safety vault at your home. If we talk about attacks of hackers we could not have the assurance of our online wallets is always safe at all times, that's why we option to have that alternative before losing your profits.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: