Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 06:23:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Facebook About to Get ‘Myspaced’ by Next-Gen Social Media?  (Read 1269 times)
Ezekial2517 (OP)

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 02:42:54 PM

Social media is a major component of the internet and has already transformed how humans communicate and interact. Looking to take things to the next level, a few projects are trying to combine social media with the blockchain.

Steemit & its competitor Synereo Bring New Meaning to Social Media

https://news.bitcoin.com/facebook-next- ... ial-media/
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 03:17:19 PM

Facebook is currently worth about $400-$450 billion, which is like 30-35 times the entire crypto market. I believe that if FB accept something as a threat, they'll just buy it or ruin it. Keep in mind that not only Zuckerberg is behind Facebook. Wink Same applies for google.

dwgscale11

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 03:31:10 PM

Social media is a major component of the internet and has already transformed how humans communicate and interact. Looking to take things to the next level, a few projects are trying to combine social media with the blockchain.

Steemit & its competitor Synereo Bring New Meaning to Social Media

https://news.bitcoin.com/facebook-next- ... ial-media/

Dude, no. Not even close..
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 03:55:25 PM

Facebook is currently worth about $400-$450 billion, which is like 30-35 times the entire crypto market. I believe that if FB accept something as a threat, they'll just buy it or ruin it. Keep in mind that not only Zuckerberg is behind Facebook. Wink Same applies for google.

Some of us remember the rise and fall of AOL.  Wink

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 05:43:57 PM

To claim this, you have to point at real competitors. What competitors does Facebook have? Not a single one to be honest. A lot have tried, and they all fail. People is tired of changing social media around. Not even Google with Google+ was able to beat Facebook. In fact it was a disaster.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 05:47:29 PM

I think we need to talk about getting more than just nerds, speculators and drug dealers to actually use Bitcoin first before we start proclaiming the death of Facebook through gimmicky social media coins.
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 05:49:40 PM

I think we need to talk about getting more than just nerds, speculators and drug dealers to actually use Bitcoin first before we start proclaiming the death of Facebook through gimmicky social media coins.

Hahaha, couldn't have said it better. Cheesy

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 05:55:16 PM

Oh and about Steemit and so on.. if Steemit is ever a treat against Facebook, all Facebook has to do is implement Bitcoin to pay for ad revenue and clicks to the users, and it will happen overtime. Everyone in Steemit will go back to Facebook to win Bitcoin by posting on there.
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 06:17:18 PM

Oh and about Steemit and so on.. if Steemit is ever a treat against Facebook, all Facebook has to do is implement Bitcoin to pay for ad revenue and clicks to the users, and it will happen overtime. Everyone in Steemit will go back to Facebook to win Bitcoin by posting on there.
I think in this case, facebook will simply ban steemit related all url as they have done for similar revenue sharing social sites before. I doubt facebook will ever implement bitcoin for deposits/withdraw or even implement rewarding systems to their users, as with this big number of userbase it will be just mess up for facebook management to manage payouts and checking fraudulent activity for earning.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 06:46:26 PM

I am willing to bet facebook's market cap that no more than 0.001% of facebook's user base will ever give any type of fuck about a crypto social network.
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 06:49:34 PM

I am willing to bet facebook's market cap that no more than 0.001% of facebook's user base will ever give any type of fuck about a crypto social network.

Are you sure? That's about 16500 people, which is not a big figure. Smiley

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 06:52:13 PM

yeah. give or take a zero why not? find someone to escrow my 450 billion and let's do this.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 06:53:58 PM

Some of us remember the rise and fall of AOL.  Wink

And some of crusty, old geeks the 300 BAUD modems and BBSes that preceded AOL. Raise your hand if you are old enough to have memorized the handshaking tones of the initial modem connection.
spartak_t
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 06:58:35 PM

I was modern. Started with a 33.6k US Robotics modem. Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAAJ1FGudE

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 07:06:13 PM

Some of us remember the rise and fall of AOL.  Wink

And some of crusty, old geeks the 300 BAUD modems and BBSes that preceded AOL. Raise your hand if you are old enough to have memorized the handshaking tones of the initial modem connection.

Thanks bro you just made me feel old Tongue
ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 07:45:12 PM

I was modern. Started with a 33.6k US Robotics modem. Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAAJ1FGudE

Yes but the ineptness and incompetence of AOL made 33.6k over AOL actually slower than 300 baud. I found this out in the late 1990's when AOL bought out CompuServe and I had my one AOL experience. After that I immediately cancelled my account. CompuServe was somewhat pricey but provided excellent dial up service in its day. What eventually killed AOL was of course the Internet. People do not want to concern themselves with their contacts' choice of Internet provider or email / browser software when sending an email or viewing content online. Later we saw a similar situation with text messaging. Proprietary messaging networks such as MSN have been replaced SMS, for the same reason. Do people really want to concern themselves with who is proving cellular network service to their contacts when sending a text message?

My take is that Facebook will suffer the same fate as AOL This will not be from another proprietary social networking provider, or from a crypto currency specific network such a Steem. It will be from an open protocol that will allow users to choose their own social networking provider and software much as is the case today with email, web browsing, SMS etc. Such questions as payment for content by whom and to whom, and with what form of money will be addressed by the individual providers, their contributors, and their viewers much as is the case for example with web hosting today.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:28:16 PM

Idk, people sort of like the simpleness of Facebook and have no care in the world if it violates some of their privacy on the internet.

I really don't know if steem will really work that great either becuase 1) There aren't very many people who are really "up for" dealing with cryptocurrencies at this time; and 2) There have been other social networks that pay based on posts/views/likes that kind of failed even though you have a very small amount of people who do use it, but get paid very little over time (example tsu.co)

ArticMine
Legendary

Monero Core Team

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:33:38 PM

Idk, people sort of like the simpleness of Facebook and have no care in the world if it violates some of their privacy on the internet.

I really don't know if steem will really work that great either becuase 1) There aren't very many people who are really "up for" dealing with cryptocurrencies at this time; and 2) There have been other social networks that pay based on posts/views/likes that kind of failed even though you have a very small amount of people who do use it, but get paid very little over time (example tsu.co)

Simpleness and ease of use by tech n00bs were also the big selling points of AOL in its day.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:44:18 PM

Simpleness and ease of use by tech n00bs were also the big selling points of AOL in its day.

Good point, but I'm still confused about what you were trying to say above.  YouTube "Red" now does this, but it's not necessarily taking off by any means (at least I don't think?). There are tons of other social media sites (reddit, tumblr, pinterest, twitter, etc. etc.), are you saying that you think some time in the future there will be people who would rather run software for their social media needs rather than quickly just connecting to the internet?  

edit: referring to this

My take is that Facebook will suffer the same fate as AOL This will not be from another proprietary social networking provider, or from a crypto currency specific network such a Steem. It will be from an open protocol that will allow users to choose their own social networking provider and software much as is the case today with email, web browsing, SMS etc. Such questions as payment for content by whom and to whom, and with what form of money will be addressed by the individual providers, their contributors, and their viewers much as is the case for example with web hosting today.

tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 09:01:49 PM

They will simply throw money at and buyout any tech or competition that starts to look like a serious rival, they have deep pockets and serious backing.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: