Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:38:53 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Proposal] A Massive Effort to Pay Back the BTC debts owed by scammer Matthew N.  (Read 925 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:01:32 PM

[Proposal] A massive effort to pay back the BTC debts owed by scammer Matthew N. Wright.

This proposal benefits a large group of people who lost a ton of money, and is not intended to repair a damaged reputation.

So, what lessons do we get so far?
1) Trust is like an illusion when bitcoins (money) is involved
2) Scam can come from even the most "reliable" and "trustworthy" people, or even close friends
3) Instead of curing the consequences of a scam...

1) Trust is like an illusion when bitcoins (money) is involved:

True, trusting someone (other than yourself) is not what this proposal is about.
I am running a foundation which will launch several major BTC community related projects. Instead of raising a large pile of your precious money, I/we will use "crazy", creative, free guerrilla marketing (Typically, guerrilla marketing campaigns are unexpected and unconventional, potentially interactive, and consumers are targeted in unexpected places. ~Wikipedia)

Therefore I am not asking you to trust me, just enjoy some unusual ideas.

2) Scam can come from even the most "reliable" and "trustworthy" people, or even close friends

Same answer as #1
People get paid back without needing to trust anyone but themselves.

There is a huge demand for real opportunities in the BTC world.
3) Instead of curing the consequences of a scam it's better to prevent it from happening.

This proposal includes doing both:
curing the consequences of a scam == A fun outrageous promotion which benefits many people
It's better to prevent it from happening == By offing free participation for Matthew's creditors here in the community, "The next Big Scam" (something else competing for your attention and asking for BTC payment) has a bit smaller chance of grabbing part of your current money supply.

I'm not expecting 500 people (for example) to all have a positive reaction.
As stated above: This is currently an idea in the formative stages.

FYI: Current topic is not intended for questions about exactly how we earn the huge amount of money.
Simple 'flow chart':
  • Start a buzz with an unexpected offer > Use that energy in creative ways >> (eventually) Earn large amounts of honest money which goes directly to the participants.

What do you think?
Thank you for your precious time.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 11:03:33 PM

who lost a ton of money
What? As far as i know no one sent money to matthew

Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:17:17 AM

Where in your post is the idea?

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 12:22:51 AM

who lost a ton of money
What? As far as i know no one sent money to matthew

Indeed he is paying back what he can of the bets that he lost: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140654.0

You'll note that I myself am on that list. While he hasn't paid me back what he owed me in BTC, given the 8x increase in price what he did pay back was quite reasonable. Frankly I have a lot of respect for how he didn't just leave the community forever, as he very well could have, and instead has owned up to his mistake and is doing an admirable job trying to make up for it.

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 12:31:33 AM

Is this sarcasm?

[Proposal] A massive effort to pay back the BTC debts owed by scammer Matthew N. Wright.

This proposal benefits a large group of people who lost a ton of money, and is not intended to repair a damaged reputation.

So, what lessons do we get so far?
1) Trust is like an illusion when bitcoins (money) is involved
3) Instead of curing the consequences of a scam...

1) Trust is like an illusion when bitcoins (money) is involved:

True, trusting someone (other than yourself) is not what this proposal is about.
I am running a foundation which will launch several major BTC community related projects. Instead of raising a large pile of your precious money, I/we will use "crazy", creative, free guerrilla marketing (Typically, guerrilla marketing campaigns are unexpected and unconventional, potentially interactive, and consumers are targeted in unexpected places. ~Wikipedia)

Therefore I am not asking you to trust me, just enjoy some unusual ideas.

Same answer as #1
People get paid back without needing to trust anyone but themselves.

There is a huge demand for real opportunities in the BTC world.
3) Instead of curing the consequences of a scam it's better to prevent it from happening.

This proposal includes doing both:
curing the consequences of a scam == A fun outrageous promotion which benefits many people
It's better to prevent it from happening == By offing free participation for Matthew's creditors here in the community, "The next Big Scam" (something else competing for your attention and asking for BTC payment) has a bit smaller chance of grabbing part of your current money supply.

I'm not expecting 500 people (for example) to all have a positive reaction.
As stated above: This is currently an idea in the formative stages.

FYI: Current topic is not intended for questions about exactly how we earn the huge amount of money.
Simple 'flow chart':
  • Start a buzz with an unexpected offer > Use that energy in creative ways >> (eventually) Earn large amounts of honest money which goes directly to the participants.

What do you think?
Thank you for your precious time.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: