Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:48:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese miner expresses remorse over supporting Vitalik's hard-fork.  (Read 547 times)
eid (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 06:50:22 PM

https://medium.com/@marshalltlong/chinese-miner-remorse-and-implications-for-bitcoin-944ae7ae45b3#.xxhd6ao1b

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 07:14:35 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2016, 08:52:01 PM by iamnotback

Wow! Inspiring to see that. Getting damn exciting now in our blockchain world!

Of course he could be an opportunist. The nature of the video is suspicious.
shyliar

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 07:24:10 PM

Article claims that he currently owns over 30% of the ethereum network hashrate; but, looking at http://fork.ethstats.net/ the ethereum network has grown by 25 percent since the last time I looked. Ethereum Classics hashrate remains the same.

Why is it that so few people writing these types of articles understand basic grade five math.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 08:53:08 PM

Article claims that he currently owns over 30% of the ethereum network hashrate; but, looking at http://fork.ethstats.net/ the ethereum network has grown by 25 percent since the last time I looked. Ethereum Classics hashrate remains the same.

Why is it that so few people writing these types of articles understand basic grade five math.

What math did the article not understand? I don't understand how anything you've stated refutes anything?
shyliar

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 26, 2016, 09:35:07 PM

What math did the article not understand? I don't understand how anything you've stated refutes anything?

The article suggests that 30 percent of the Ethereum hashrate is moving over to Ethereum classic. It also states that the chinese miner has 120 GH/s of mining capacity (although it's unclear if that's the total of the six farms or if each one has that). The numbers don't add up if you look at the link I supplied.

Current hashrate of Ethereum network (at posting) 5000 GH/s. Thirty percent of that is 1500 GH/s

Current Hashrate of Ethereum Classic network (at posting) 610 GH/s. Hasn't increased Hashrate despite the plan to move his hashrate over.
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2016, 09:50:22 PM

I haven't heard about Chandler Guo, until he threatened ETC with a 51% attack. Don't remember the exact hashrate, but I think it was 90 GH (I am talking about his personal hashrate). The ETC's hashrate was less than 200 GH at the time. When I saw his tweet, I did some research on him. I've noticed that he is following our Twitter account (controlled by me) so I followed him back (which I'm usually not doing, since its not the fair way to increase your followers). The guy has indeed some really nice equipments and I think its safe to say that he is probably one of the biggest whales which are supporting the Classic Ethereum.

iamnotback

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 12:05:35 AM

The article suggests that 30 percent of the Ethereum hashrate is moving over to Ethereum classic. It also states that the chinese miner has 120 GH/s of mining capacity (although it's unclear if that's the total of the six farms or if each one has that). The numbers don't add up if you look at the link I supplied.

Current hashrate of Ethereum network (at posting) 5000 GH/s. Thirty percent of that is 1500 GH/s

Current Hashrate of Ethereum Classic network (at posting) 610 GH/s. Hasn't increased Hashrate despite the plan to move his hashrate over.

Apparently he had over 30% of the ETC network hashrate at that time?

The ETC's hashrate was less than 200 GH at the time.

So apparently the article author misunderstood or simply was careless with his wording.

Perhaps you should make comment on that article and see if the author corrects his mistake. Thanks for checking that! I am too busy and just accepted it as truth.
dballing

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 12:22:17 AM

What a scammer! First he says ETC is a scam and he will 51% attack it via Twitter. He then redacts his statement and says I don't want to be evil, so I won't attack it. Then he says ETH is scam and he will put 100% of his mining power towards ETC and encourages everyone to do the same. You then check the hash rate for ETC and no change is seen in sight... All while using terms like no evil and revolution... (buzz words to manipulate people) almost like when I saw Roger Ver cry in an interview because he says BTC will free humanity (and increase his net worth 100x again) ... ROFL

Attempt to manipulate prices for ETH and ETC much? He's not a dumbass and just having these epiphanies from day to day because I could have told you this shit on day one of the fork...

He's losing credibility...
iamnotback

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 12:24:27 AM

What a scammer! First he says ETC is a scam and he will 51% attack it via Twitter. He then redacts his statement and says I don't want to be evil, so I won't attack it. Then he says ETH is scam and he will put 100% of his mining power towards ETC and encourages everyone to do the same.

Exactly my suspicion that he was driving the price down while he was buying and then shifted over his allegiance once he was ready for everyone else to follow him in.

You then check the hash rate for ETC and no change is seen in sight...

Huh? Hasn't the hashrate increased from 200 to 610 GH?

Btw, I've been told by many people and including someone in China right now, to not trust Chinese. I hate to make such generalizations based on race, culture, or nation. Any way, I basically trust very few people any way.
dballing

Activity: 246
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 12:28:48 AM

What a scammer! First he says ETC is a scam and he will 51% attack it via Twitter. He then redacts his statement and says I don't want to be evil, so I won't attack it. Then he says ETH is scam and he will put 100% of his mining power towards ETC and encourages everyone to do the same.

Exactly my suspicion that he was driving the price down while he was buying and then shifted over his allegiance once he was ready for everyone else to follow him in.

Btw, I've been told by many people and including someone in China right now, to not trust Chinese. I hate to make such generalizations based on race, culture, or nation. Any way, I basically trust very few people any way.

Meant to say reduction in ETH hash
maki

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 12:36:39 AM

That is interesting. I am still not clear if the world can support two ETH chains in the long run.

I collect and trade rare and lost cryptocurrencies and blockchains.
Prefer fair launch/no premine, pre-2014 coins.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 02:22:08 AM

Meant to say reduction in ETH hash

Okay but realize that 120 GH was not significant relative to ETH's hashrate, so we wouldn't expect a noticeable reduction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: