Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:19:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Swirlds - Hashgraphs as a promising alternative to Blockchains?  (Read 3322 times)
alkan (OP)

Activity: 149
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 10:54:25 AM
Last edit: August 28, 2016, 09:24:59 AM by alkan

I just came accross Swirlds and its concept of Hasgraphs is fascinating as it could solve practically all the issues of existing cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and PoS coins.

http://www.swirlds.com/downloads/Overview-of-Swirlds-Hashgraph.pdf
http://www.swirlds.com/downloads/Swirlds-and-Sybil-Attacks.pdf
http://www.swirlds.com/downloads/SWIRLDS-TR-2016-01.pdf (Complete White Paper)
http://sammantics.com/blog/2016/7/27/hashgraph-consensus (Q&A)

It seems that a cryptocurrency based on the Swirlds framework could not only cope with high transaction rates (like VISA) due to its nearly-optimal efficiency, but Swirlds also allows the user to discard the old history of the hashgraph. According to the makers, that would shrink the amount of storage from Bitcoin’s current 60 GB to a fraction of a single gigabyte.

As an underlying framework, Swirlds could work together with PoW, PoS, PoB and other systems. If I understand it correctly, it would be possible to build a a PoS coin with two fundamental advantages over existing altcoins:

1) The prococol allows objective consensus, i.e. a new node could independently arrive to the same current state as the rest of the network based solely on protocol rules and messages propagated across the system. In contrast to regular PoS coins, there's no longest chain-rule and no blockchain that an attacker could forge at will. Instead, the network is based on locally stored hashgraphs containing all the "gossip about the gossip" about the actual transactions.

2) Nothing at Stake attacks aren't possible since there's no blockchain that could be double-mined on. In fact, forks are part of the system that is based on DAGs rather than chains.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2016, 11:35:20 AM

This sounds very ambitious, but there are only few demo's shown and the whitepaper (from what I've read so far) does not provide information on how they will deliver the technology.

alkan (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 11:51:53 AM

This sounds very ambitious, but there are only few demo's shown and the whitepaper (from what I've read so far) does not provide information on how they will deliver the technology.
Well, the whitepaper in the link above is very detailed and describes the algorithm in depth, providing mathematical proofs for the claims.
alkan (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2016, 08:01:13 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2016, 08:25:16 PM by alkan

If you're interested in a short introduction to Hashgraphs, you should check out this presentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhHfjOqlUv4

The guy seems to really know what he's talking about. Just look at his list of publications: http://leemon.com/papers/pubsTopic.html.

However, there's one thing that appears like an issue to me. An that is the importance of the number n of all the nodes, which is a fundamental variable in the calculations done by the algorithm.

Do all nodes need to be online for system to function?   Number of current nodes?

Over 2/3 of the nodes need to be online for consensus. If fewer are online, the transactions are still communicated to everyone online very quickly, and everyone will immediately know for certain that those transactions are guaranteed to be part of the immutable ledger. They just won't know the consensus order until more than 2/3 come online.

Especially in a non-permissioned system, the number of nodes will vary considerably over time. How will n be determined in such a system so that it not only allows for communicating existing transactions but also for consensus on new ones?

It's not easy to determine (or even estimate) the number of nodes in a p2p nework that are online at a given time. And even if you could guess that number, what would be the effect of a highly varying n on the hashgraph itself? Or would you first need to reach consensus about the size of the community?

This is what Leemon seems to imply and according to him, this would work out nicely (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI6sQHfIPbk, starting from 29.15). But isn't that rather circular reasoning? Or maybe you could just include the fact that a node isn't reachable anymore in your gossip. If more than 2/3 of the nodes gossips that node x is down, n would be reduced by 1 by all nodes as per the consensus achieved by them.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 01:29:55 AM

Hmm interesting.
I have to admit i am a bit lazy / busy to sift through White Papers right now though.

Are they (who ever they are) providing the concept only or do they plan to implement and release it functional ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
alkan (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 08:28:38 AM

Are they (who ever they are) providing the concept only or do they plan to implement and release it functional ?

They are providing a SDK (and some demo projects like a simple stock market and a very simple game) which allows you to build all sort of applications on top of Hashgraphs.

A video tutorial on the SDK can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI6sQHfIPbk
spartak_t
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2016, 08:38:43 AM

There is no information on how they are planning to distribute it though. Only e-mail for contact is available.

alkan (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2016, 09:02:01 AM

There is no information on how they are planning to distribute it though. Only e-mail for contact is available.

Once you have filled in the form on http://www.swirlds.com/download, you can download the SDK instantly.

But what really matters (to me) is the core idea rather than the implementation of it. If somebody is interested in building a system based on Hashgraphs, all he needs is the whitepaper.
bwang22

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 11:10:27 PM

Really interested in this. Not sure why they haven't create a cryptocurrency like IOTA or Bytaball has based on DAG. Maybe swirlds isn't interested or is Hashgraph just not suited?
ripbit

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 04:36:07 AM

there's one thing that appears like an issue to me. An that is the importance of the number n of all the nodes, which is a fundamental variable in the calculations done by the algorithm.

Do all nodes need to be online for system to function?   Number of current nodes?

Over 2/3 of the nodes need to be online for consensus. If fewer are online, the transactions are still communicated to everyone online very quickly, and everyone will immediately know for certain that those transactions are guaranteed to be part of the immutable ledger. They just won't know the consensus order until more than 2/3 come online.

Especially in a non-permissioned system, the number of nodes will vary considerably over time. How will n be determined in such a system so that it not only allows for communicating existing transactions but also for consensus on new ones?

It's not easy to determine (or even estimate) the number of nodes in a p2p nework that are online at a given time. And even if you could guess that number, what would be the effect of a highly varying n on the hashgraph itself? Or would you first need to reach consensus about the size of the community?

This is what Leemon seems to imply and according to him, this would work out nicely (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI6sQHfIPbk, starting from 29.15). But isn't that rather circular reasoning? Or maybe you could just include the fact that a node isn't reachable anymore in your gossip. If more than 2/3 of the nodes gossips that node x is down, n would be reduced by 1 by all nodes as per the consensus achieved by them.

Alkan, I had the chance to ask Mance Harmon, Swirlds CEO, your question on the Hashgraph Telegram Group:  https://t.me/joinchat/DpeJM0R1FpqUD5N2YvNcAQ

This was his response:

"What's important to remember is that the hashgraph is unlike other gossip protocols.  The information that is being gossiped is both transactions (understood by the application running on top of the platform) and information that conveys who has talked to whom and when.  So, it's incorrect to say that "It's not easy to determine (or even estimate) the number of nodes in a p2p network that are online at a given time."   Actually, it's incredibly easy if you have a hashgraph that represents Gossip About Gossip.  It's easy to look in the hashgraph and see the last time a given node gossiped.  It's directly observable in the hashgraph.  The hashgraph actually gives you a fantastic view of network weather and who is online and when.

In a permissioned system we only let people join if they are going to be active.  Because the hashgraph comes to a moment in time where all nodes agree on exactly when a transaction takes effect, they can all agree on when the number n changes because somebody joined or left.  So, at every moment every node is in agreement on the value of n.

Today we are describing permissioned systems.   We will describe our ideas for public systems in the future."

I hope that helps.  If you join the telegram group you can chat direct with some of the lead developers Hashgraph Telegram Group:  https://t.me/joinchat/DpeJM0R1FpqUD5N2YvNcAQ
hashgraph

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 04:54:07 PM

Hi friends ! Just wanted to stop by and make sure you got the correct Telegram link.

http://t.me/hashgraph

In addition to www.swirlds.com we also have www.hashgraph.com

Dr. Leemon Baird (inventor of hashgraph) just gave a talk at CESC2017 at Berkeley on “why math matters” and the importance of Asynchronous Byzantine Fault Tolerance, which I think you will enjoy. https://youtu.be/c6_AXwAcUnU

Talk soon.
multinova

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 07:30:18 PM

This tech really interests me.. not much traction for now.. I hope to see it adopted soon.
tech72

Activity: 427
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 11:55:47 PM

Do they sell any coin or something like currency or dapps ?

Buying Instagram followers from Zeru.com was a smart move. Real profiles, quick delivery, and an organic boost to my presence. Fantastic service, highly satisfied.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. Bought Instagram followers, and my profile skyrocketed. Genuine engagement, prompt delivery—best investment in my online presence.
Absolutely thrilled with Zeru.com. Purchased Instagram followers, and the results are phenomenal. Authentic growth, reliable service, and exceptional customer support. Highly recommend.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Acquired Instagram followers, and my influence soared. Organic engagement, instant delivery, and excellent customer service. Truly satisfied with the results.
Zeru.com delivered real YouTube subscribers, skyrocketing my channel's success. Trustworthy, efficient, and effective. The best investment for content creators.
Incredible service from Zeru.com. The Instagram likes I purchased were delivered instantly, boosting my online presence. Highly recommended for influencers.
Phenomenal experience with Zeru.com. Bought YouTube views and witnessed instant growth. Authentic engagement, timely delivery, and top-notch customer service. Absolutely satisfied.
Zeru.com is a game-changer. Buying Twitter followers from them boosted my online presence. Authenticity, quick delivery, and stellar customer service – a winning combination for social media success.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Facebook likes purchase led to enhanced visibility. Trustworthy, efficient, and a game-changer for anyone aiming to boost social media presence.
Zeru.com delivers as promised. Increased my Instagram views instantly. Quality service, quick results, and their team ensures satisfaction. A reliable choice.
Impressed with Zeru.com prompt service and genuine YouTube likes. Increased engagement and visibility have skyrocketed my channel's success. Highly recommend.
Buying Facebook followers from Zeru.com was a game-changer. Authentic profiles, quick delivery, and excellent customer support. Highly recommended for growth. 5/5 Stars rating.
Zeru.com exceeded my expectations. The TikTok followers I bought were high-quality, instantly elevating my content and giving my profile the attention it deserves.
Zeru.com delivers TikTok likes that matter. Genuine engagement, instant credibility, and a noticeable spike in my video views. An absolute game-changer.
Zeru.com
SocialMediaPanel.com is my trusted partner for social growth. Their SMM Panel, Social Media Panel, delivers authentic social media engagement, boosting my online presence effectively.
multinova

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 04:09:15 PM

Do they sell any coin or something like currency or dapps ?
Not yet as far as i know. Seems to be all in pre release phase.
flag39

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 03:56:19 PM

Hi friends ! Just wanted to stop by and make sure you got the correct Telegram link.

http://t.me/hashgraph

In addition to www.swirlds.com we also have www.hashgraph.com

Dr. Leemon Baird (inventor of hashgraph) just gave a talk at CESC2017 at Berkeley on “why math matters” and the importance of Asynchronous Byzantine Fault Tolerance, which I think you will enjoy. https://youtu.be/c6_AXwAcUnU

Talk soon.

Could you make a comparison Hashgraph vs Tangle? 
sanjoant

Activity: 39

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 08:38:30 AM

Tangle , Hashgraphs seems necessary improvements to over come  existing inefficiency of pow/pos blockchain architecture. Waiting to see  this evolve in to a real life use case with token.  
hashgraph

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:53:39 PM

Both hashgraph & tangle use a DAG (Directed Acyclic Graph), but other than that there is little similarity.

Tangle has a PoW component, hashgraph needn't.

hashgraph has virtual voting, tangle doesn't etc etc

We will be creating a more thorough comparison/analysis and revising the hashgraph FAQ accordingly.
plauthor

Activity: 117
Merit: 1

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-masek-93ba30103/

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 03:28:07 PM

It seems to address blockchain's shortcomings. We have been therefore considering implementation of the Parsable Law project in hashgraph rather than in blockchain. The project's draft white paper is now available for comments:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/masek_zdenek_parsable_law_draft_november_2017.pdf?token=AWxyK6XgIZwDB67oDi-NLnID2RC6sNOkSrIB7DT0GvW_tn4pIrZcTcl-WBMbnJzbyzsArsl1XSfuEDwjPmSLRqt2r9YYjCnKI3ZAzoTF-MARLi5NId-Ngt--GUqiJV9eR2mPkZqTlNNeZzGVKFKP-Sq8Vjs9jn9IqtPL3jGpaeWGI2da58iM2jszxSzzz68f67z58ePoUzskiCJShW_v2bP4fnZ6UysaQVK8dSF8ZhgdGQ

ORIG & OBITER ICO now LIVE at LegalMachinery.com
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
13Darko

Activity: 621
Merit: 507

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 03:21:32 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2017, 03:56:29 PM by 13Darko

How does Hashgraph solve an issue when an attacker creates 2 conflicting transactions which after a bunch of steps through different nodes will be met in the same node? Can this bring us to a deadlock?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
multinova

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 06:59:59 PM

Is this actually the official ANN thread of Hashgraphs ?
Or is there another one available for more questions ?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: