Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:15:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Speculation about a big AMD GPU (or HBM ram) on the new process (490x etc)  (Read 3975 times)
LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 12:45:46 PM

I found this a while ago that speculated that they would launch a multi-chip card this year in order to compete at the high end.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-490-4k-gaming-card/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
B1tUnl0ck3r (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 01:33:30 PM

I found this a while ago that speculated that they would launch a multi-chip card this year in order to compete at the high end.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-490-4k-gaming-card/

Interesting. It's clear that it's easier to stack two gpus side by side than to develop a new bigger one. In raw power and in gaming amd is really behind nvidia now. A part Ethash I don't see them performing very well.

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 10:50:42 PM

There is some variance on yields between the manufacturers - and I suspect some between different fabs at the SAME manfacturer - but they've all been reporting major gains on yield this year, it's not that much of an issue any more.

The REAL limit is flat out total capasity limitations.

From what I've been seeing around the web, it doesn't look likely that there will be any more major "new cards" announced for the rest of the year - and even if any WERE announced there would be major "availability" issues for a while.

Keep in mind we're still seeing major issues with availability on all of the CURRENT new-gen cards.

For what I see there is no shortage on the nvidia side.

NVidia targeted higher-end cards at the start, which sell in smaller quantites - and I AM still seeing some shortage issues despite that and despite NVidia having had the 1080 and the 1070 on the market a fair bit longer than the RX 480 has been available.
 Try finding that Gigabyte "ITX" 1070 card in stock anywhere for example - it's been VERY VERY spotty so far (and I have a specific use for 2 or 3 of them over the next week or 2).

AMD isn't so much "behind" NVidia, as they started out targeting the "mainstream" market - and have probably sold quite a few more RX 480 units than NVidia has sold on all GTX 1xxx + Titan X Pascal units COMBINED, though the total on DOLLAR sales is going to be a lot closer.

The real tale will be next year, when AMD finally releases cards INTENDED to go head-to-head against the current NVidia offerings.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
B1tUnl0ck3r (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 07:39:55 PM

There is some variance on yields between the manufacturers - and I suspect some between different fabs at the SAME manfacturer - but they've all been reporting major gains on yield this year, it's not that much of an issue any more.

The REAL limit is flat out total capasity limitations.

From what I've been seeing around the web, it doesn't look likely that there will be any more major "new cards" announced for the rest of the year - and even if any WERE announced there would be major "availability" issues for a while.

Keep in mind we're still seeing major issues with availability on all of the CURRENT new-gen cards.

For what I see there is no shortage on the nvidia side.

NVidia targeted higher-end cards at the start, which sell in smaller quantites - and I AM still seeing some shortage issues despite that and despite NVidia having had the 1080 and the 1070 on the market a fair bit longer than the RX 480 has been available.
 Try finding that Gigabyte "ITX" 1070 card in stock anywhere for example - it's been VERY VERY spotty so far (and I have a specific use for 2 or 3 of them over the next week or 2).

AMD isn't so much "behind" NVidia, as they started out targeting the "mainstream" market - and have probably sold quite a few more RX 480 units than NVidia has sold on all GTX 1xxx + Titan X Pascal units COMBINED, though the total on DOLLAR sales is going to be a lot closer.

The real tale will be next year, when AMD finally releases cards INTENDED to go head-to-head against the current NVidia offerings.

It depends of where you live mostly. Thank you for sharing your observations. For me the RX480 and other founder blowers were simply out of question. No need for a tubo engine Cheesy. However I am not sure that amd sold more in units than nvidia.

Do you have an idea if this next year card will have hbm2 or what will make it faster (wider bus on Gddr5)? Because at 2400 processing units, I am not sure they can really increase the size of the chip  Huh

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 10:22:56 AM

Do you have an idea if this next year card will have hbm2 or what will make it faster (wider bus on Gddr5)? Because at 2400 processing units, I am not sure they can really increase the size of the chip  Huh

The FuryX and Nano had 4096 shader/Stream units - on 28nm process on a single chip (the Duo had 8196 but that was 2 chips on one card).
 No reason 14/16nm can't end up with half again to double that on a true high-end card.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
B1tUnl0ck3r (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 03:59:47 AM

The FuryX and Nano had 4096 shader/Stream units - on 28nm process on a single chip (the Duo had 8196 but that was 2 chips on one card).
 No reason 14/16nm can't end up with half again to double that on a true high-end card.

Yeah, very true! I completely forgot that. I hope they will release soon this true high-end card. I don't understand why they didn't do it earlier... the 1070/80 are in their own world right now...

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 08:23:02 PM

Yeah, very true! I completely forgot that. I hope they will release soon this true high-end card. I don't understand why they didn't do it earlier... the 1070/80 are in their own world right now...

Mainstream cards - IF you can make enough of them - sell so many more that they make a TON more money - and AMD has been having cash-flow issues and profit issues for a while.
 They specifically targeted "where the money is".

NVidia obviously felt they could afford to "coast" with their existing 9xx series cards for a while in the "mainstream" area.

LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 05:32:59 PM

So both rumors may be correct. A card with HBM2 may still launch this year, but it will be for the professional market ($$$).

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/41724-vega-10-with-hbm2-to-launch-this-year
Dobmader

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 06:34:27 PM

I would have to say I have a difference of opinion of the hashrate of the 290x beating the fury x. First, the fury x is more power efficient, stays cooler, and has 4000 cores at the same speed as the 290x with 2800 cores. The fury x also has higher overclocking ability. The fury x definitely outperforms the 290x but its not due to the HBM. A pro duo has 2 fury x gpus with 8000 total cores where as its predecessor the 295x2 has 5600 cores with 2 290x GPU's so the core difference is a noticeable increase in speed in terms of GPU mining especially with the newest mining software.

Do you have any experience with the card? my card won't go anywhere above 1125Mhz. while the stock clock is 1050Mhz. A 290's stock is 1GHz and it might clock to 1.2GHz on good samples. but the Fury X does beat the 290 and even the 390X in most of the games, but not in mining.

The Fury X or the nano does not have good overclocking capabilities. As they have too many cores and too hot if overclocked.
kilo17
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

aka "whocares"

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 07:12:03 PM

I would have to say I have a difference of opinion of the hashrate of the 290x beating the fury x. First, the fury x is more power efficient, stays cooler, and has 4000 cores at the same speed as the 290x with 2800 cores. The fury x also has higher overclocking ability. The fury x definitely outperforms the 290x but its not due to the HBM. A pro duo has 2 fury x gpus with 8000 total cores where as its predecessor the 295x2 has 5600 cores with 2 290x GPU's so the core difference is a noticeable increase in speed in terms of GPU mining especially with the newest mining software.

Do you have any experience with the card? my card won't go anywhere above 1125Mhz. while the stock clock is 1050Mhz. A 290's stock is 1GHz and it might clock to 1.2GHz on good samples. but the Fury X does beat the 290 and even the 390X in most of the games, but not in mining.

The Fury X or the nano does not have good overclocking capabilities. As they have too many cores and too hot if overclocked.

I am not sure why everyone on this thread thinks the Fury does not overclock well, that is untrue.  I have a bunch of the regular Fury (not Fury X) and they easily overclock to 33+ and run at 60-70 degrees without any bios mod.

Bitcoin Will Only Succeed If The Community That Supports It Gets Support - Support Home Miners & Mining
B1tUnl0ck3r (OP)

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 07:44:00 PM

So both rumors may be correct. A card with HBM2 may still launch this year, but it will be for the professional market ($$$).

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/41724-vega-10-with-hbm2-to-launch-this-year

ahah! wait and see Smiley.

TheRider

Activity: 157

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 11:31:14 AM

490 HBM on zcash. Can't wait Grin
Dobmader

Activity: 165

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 03:26:23 PM

490 HBM on zcash. Can't wait Grin

The ZEC mining depends on the latency of the memory. If the latency is too high, it might not be good.
mojoxc

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 07:19:49 AM

I expect we will hear something official just after Christmas and new Vega cards by the end of Q1 2017.  We are expecting HBM2 ram with a higher clock speed than the current gen HBM ram and the 14 nm architecture.   

With any some luck we will get some hard mining numbers prior to launch on a full rig which will help gauge the demand for the supply of cards.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 08:37:45 AM

I have had experience with the 290x, 295x2, 390x, fury x and pro duo. There are a few things to consider... First, the hashrate will decrease for any gpu 74 degrees celsius or above. Second, for a non-commercial setup the easiest way to overclock the cards is with msi afterburner with power set to +50 up to 1137-42 leaving the voltage alone with for a 4 way crossfire x a power supply that does 1300+ continuous watts. Third, use the most current mining software for example "claymore's dual eth and decreed" for more efficient mining and increase in profit. Fourth, it helps to have an eth proxy server if you have 2 or more nodes. For example we have a setup with 1 295x2 ( 2 290x ) and 2 fury x all overclocked and it does 133 non-calculated mh for ether whereas another one of our setups with either 2 295x2's or 4 290x's were getting around 116-118 MH. Our rig with 2 pro duos (2x2 fury x) 147 mh a considerable difference. A tip is to leave your cases open with secondary household fans venting the heat from the already 100% liquid cooled system ( can be done with closed loop cpu, gpu ).

Can you clarify this statement: Fourth, it helps to have an eth proxy server if you have 2 or more nodes. For example we have a setup with 1 295x2 ( 2 290x ) and 2 fury x all overclocked and it does 133 non-calculated mh for ether whereas another one of our setups with either 2 295x2's or 4 290x's were getting around 116-118 MH.

a) When you mention node, do you mean one motherboard with GPU's?

b) In your example, I'm confused about the two examples in your statement. Assuming that all cards are overclocked and identical motherboards were used in both cases. How do you know it's not some weird MB quirk?

c) How many mining systems or nodes do you have attached to one proxy server?

TIA
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 21, 2016, 01:51:38 PM

I read some place how they want to put a small SSD on the 490 or any of there cards, later on  and release date for the 490 is some time next year, I'm guessing, or about the same time they release Zen there new 14 nm CPU line.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 09:00:14 AM

i don't see any 490, wasn't a placeholder name? it say 580 and fury pro for vega

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-10-4096-gcn/

or there is even a bigger chip coming?
giagge
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 01:08:52 PM

Si parla di Dicembre , annuncio e commercializzazione Smiley :

http://wccftech.com/radeon-rx-490-vr-4k-december/

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 01:28:27 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2016, 01:40:49 PM by toptek

i don't see any 490, wasn't a placeholder name? it say 580 and fury pro for vega

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-10-4096-gcn/

or there is even a bigger chip coming?

next year it was put on hold when NV lowered there prices it seems AMD wants to be sure before they release it so they can deal a blow to NV other wise it could release sooner or not at all .
 may releases around the time they release there new zen CPU line if i find that post again.I'll link it . they changed it I see form your link .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
fiscorcle

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 01:33:46 PM

And what about deifferent anlgo? when rx490 will be released there will be z-cash which can be more profitable tha eth..
Well didn't you hit the nail on the head with that statement 5 months ago. Wink
Z-cash is alot more profitable than Eth right now! Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: