Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:50:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If your University had a supercomputer on campus...  (Read 5871 times)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:23:42 PM

Even if it's CPU based that can be a couple hundred GH/s. You could try running it on the lowest priority so that it doesn't disturb other peoples' work. Or you could find a legitimate excuse for using the supercomputer and run a bitcoin miner alongside. I think the best solution to your problem would be to find a way to legimitimize your bitcoin mining. Maybe convince your uni you would like to do research on the bitcoin protocol, run a node, your own pool and mine.

Signature space available for rent.
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:01:35 PM

1)  don't listen to the haters.  Get bitcoind on that fat bitch ASAP

2)  University student in trouble for tinkering with the supercomputer at the university he paid for?  no way.  Slap on the wrist at worst.  in 1998 (lulz I'm old now) when in college and no1 knew about the free 10 mb of webspace each student had for free (lulz again) I collected all my friends' webspace and made a direct-download .mp3 sharing site.  Boy did I make that netradio banner monies!  Was called in eventually for my "kid shit" crime, they asked me what I was doing and I was like "sharing music with my friends obv" some lolertastic investigation was held, nothing came of it.  I think I signed something saying I would not use University machines for cybercrime (i am pretty sure it said something like cyber-squatting actually.  really wish I would have saved the form)

3)  pool minded for 20 hrs should yield you ~ $1k USD or so. Gotta try it IMO
Wow. I was really hoping that outside of the BFL hate, you might be a decent guy. Apparently I was wrong.

Believe me, there is lots of misuse is going on
So because everyone else is misusing the university's scientific research facilities, means it's Ok for you to do it too? But hey, you're profiting from it, so it's OK, right?!
I am network admin. I am the one who kills this kind of activities. I am the party pooper. My point is that there is no punishment for that. Heck, even faculty misuses equipment. Worst thing I'd just disable abusing account.  In reality United States is wasteful society. Hell, in 2004 I've been told to dumb 4 BRAND NEW WRAPPED IN PLASTIC HP network switches because they weren't up to specs and they were suppose to be cisco. Each switch was like $2500. Could I take them home? Nope, now THAT IS A THEFT. So I just dumped them. I've seen lots of amazing stuff in universities dumpsters. Some stuff was new or in a good working condition. In 2003 university bought mega expensive sun server.  Very top of the line. OMG! WE'LL SO USE IT!  In reality it was never used and collects the dust up to this day.  So Borrowing resources isn't a theft.
I'm not saying it is good, I'm just say it is what it is. Private companies might be in different situation, there I can see they might be sensitive about it.
briannguyen

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:07:33 PM

Before dumping expensive stuffs. You can ask your friends to come and dump it on your friends' hands.

50-50 share profit lol
vonross2012

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:16:30 PM

1)  don't listen to the haters.  Get bitcoind on that fat bitch ASAP

2)  University student in trouble for tinkering with the supercomputer at the university he paid for?  no way.  Slap on the wrist at worst.  in 1998 (lulz I'm old now) when in college and no1 knew about the free 10 mb of webspace each student had for free (lulz again) I collected all my friends' webspace and made a direct-download .mp3 sharing site.  Boy did I make that netradio banner monies!  Was called in eventually for my "kid shit" crime, they asked me what I was doing and I was like "sharing music with my friends obv" some lolertastic investigation was held, nothing came of it.  I think I signed something saying I would not use University machines for cybercrime (i am pretty sure it said something like cyber-squatting actually.  really wish I would have saved the form)

3)  pool minded for 20 hrs should yield you ~ $1k USD or so. Gotta try it IMO
Wow. I was really hoping that outside of the BFL hate, you might be a decent guy. Apparently I was wrong.

Believe me, there is lots of misuse is going on
So because everyone else is misusing the university's scientific research facilities, means it's Ok for you to do it too? But hey, you're profiting from it, so it's OK, right?!
I am network admin. I am the one who kills this kind of activities. I am the party pooper. My point is that there is no punishment for that. Heck, even faculty misuses equipment. Worst thing I'd just disable abusing account.  In reality United States is wasteful society. Hell, in 2004 I've been told to dumb 4 BRAND NEW WRAPPED IN PLASTIC HP network switches because they weren't up to specs and they were suppose to be cisco. Each switch was like $2500. Could I take them home? Nope, now THAT IS A THEFT. So I just dumped them. I've seen lots of amazing stuff in universities dumpsters. Some stuff was new or in a good working condition. In 2003 university bought mega expensive sun server.  Very top of the line. OMG! WE'LL SO USE IT!  In reality it was never used and collects the dust up to this day.  So Borrowing resources isn't a theft.
I'm not saying it is good, I'm just say it is what it is. Private companies might be in different situation, there I can see they might be sensitive about it.

If you put it into the dumpter... Take a picture.  Then take it out I think thats legal.
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:47:22 AM

heh, I need to find a pic I took in 2006 when they dumped HUGE HDTV (they were still rare back then) simply because at student lounge they installed projector. Someone did pick that thing up at night, in the dark Grin I, however, never performed dumpster diving (they don't smell very well to my liking)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:37:25 PM

In reality United States is wasteful society.

It's not only US. A lot of governments and state-owned companies are like that. Some charities, some NGOs and NATO too. Very often they have a budget and if they don't spend enough money by the end of a year, next year they will be appointed a smaller amount.

Signature space available for rent.
marra

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:24:09 PM

although number of cores are relevant for computation, there are also varieties of cores...

how much petaflops does it pull max per day? I could give you the possible gain...

$1 = 1 satoshi  ☰☱☲☳☷☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☲☳☱☷☷☳☲☰☰☰☰☲☳☳
☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☷☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☲☳☷☷☳☳☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☰☱☲☳
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: