Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:48:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Apparently I owe Coinbase.com  (Read 3310 times)
camolist

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 02:07:18 AM

Yes. MPEx.

lol. knew that was coming

I logged in the other day and it said I owed them $890. Jut logged in today and it appears fixed. Also got an email a couple days ago from an old transaction I made a couple months ago. Looks like they are getting things figured out.

welcome to bitcoin...startups facing too much growth for their own good  Roll Eyes    and people running to forums to cry wolf just to update their thread a few hours/days later to say ohh nevermind "problem" solved.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:44:19 AM

Is there any BTC company out there that is not riddled with problem.. Hope they fix it up.. i was rather thinking they were decet before i say these dialogs here and other threads..

Yes. MPEx.

SPAM

Don't be silly.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:44:28 AM

Coinbase is still in BETA. Dont forget this.

This isnt a huge multinational corporation with hundreds of employees.

Its a small startup with a few employees and some big ideas. They are doing very well to promote and expand BTC.

Coinbase isnt perfect yet, but its getting better day by day - they are figuring out a lot of complex stuff for the 1st time. 
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 07:17:26 AM

Its a small startup with a few employees and some big ideas. They are doing very well to promote and expand BTC.

Coinbase isnt perfect yet, but its getting better day by day - they are figuring out a lot of complex stuff for the 1st time. 

They are a bitcoin selling service that hasn't been able to sell bitcoin in a month or more. I think they need to pull the plug, regroup and figure out a plan. Then when they are ready to roll back out. Only take on customer's they are able to and not anymore. I do like their service but I also get frustrated when you hear/see nothing on a company that obviously has problems.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
boscorocks

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:19:57 AM

3 days ago I had 5BTC just show up on my balance with no actual incoming notifications. I checked and checked for two days even on the phone app and it was still there. It disappeared just as quickly. So basically never believe what the balance says~no problemo.
Tonko

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:43:12 AM

They are a bitcoin selling service that hasn't been able to sell bitcoin in a month or more.

I can attest to this being a solid fact.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:33:09 PM

No. It's a tiny start-up with no competence, no capital, a lot of cheek and the apparent complete obliviousness of the environment they operate in that is so very typical of failures.

It's not a matter of "not being perfect yet" just like the random rapist isn't "not a perfect husband yet". He's not a husband at all, to begin with, and it's by now too late for him to become one. Who marries their rapist?!

They are a bitcoin selling service that hasn't been able to sell bitcoin in a month or more. I think they need to pull the plug, regroup and figure out a plan. Then when they are ready to roll back out. Only take on customer's they are able to and not anymore. I do like their service but I also get frustrated when you hear/see nothing on a company that obviously has problems.

Practically speaking this can't happen. Let me explain for the general benefit how the Ycombinator freakshow works:

Step 1. Some strippers / party actors (those guys that show up at preschooler birthday parties dressed up as Ronald McDonald/molest unattended children at Disneyworld) are hired by the hour by some modern equivalent of the ghetto slumlord/slave runner.

Step 2. Partyvan delivers the freaks at a "conference", which is practically speaking a large empty unfurnished room filled with US' version of unemployed youth. These are the kids with no skills and no abilities that push up the unemployment figure to 30% or more in places like Spain. In the US they are nominally "employed" doing things like "social media consultancy", journalism, "research" and the eternal "I'm in a transitional phase right now". Just as long as there's some free chips at the buffet, they've "not had time" to have breakfast yet.

Step 3. The spammers at the head of the ring (such as, for instance, Paul Graham) start their arduous work trying to parlay all this nothing into some money. A representative sample, (email spam):

I know you're skeptical they'll ever get hotels, but there's a
continuum between private sofas and hotel rooms, and they just moved
one step further along it.

[link to an airbnb user]

This is after only a few months.  I bet you they will get hotels
eventually.  It will start with small ones.  Just wait till all the
10-room pensiones in Rome discover this site.  And once it spreads
to hotels, where is the point (in size of chain) at which it stops?
Once something becomes a big marketplace, you ignore it at your
peril.

Step 4. Fund managers have a lot of useless fiat on their hands. A lot means something like a hundred million per partner capita as an absolute minimum. In fact they can't even practically sit down and discuss "small" deals (< 10mn say), because it can't justify their time. So they'll gladly throw a few tens of ks at the spammers, which gets split up among them. The ring leaders will be getting the lion's share, obviously, but even so it pays the freaks' rent (most months) and that's all they really need, the freakshow continues endlessly.

Any sort of improvement, actual or attempted, that may put the fund managers in Step 4 above in the uncomfortable situation of realizing that they've just paid some strippers/costume boys for one evening's entertainment and nothing more is by far too dangerous for the business model to even entertain. Consequently, the freakshow will continue to be a freakshow for the indeterminate future. They won't be doing anything useful ever, but they will forever maintain the impression that who knows, they may be. Next week or something. Just like a Central Casting "hot lawyer chick" looks sorta-lawyery with her glasses and briefcase even if she's never in this life going to win an actual case in an actual court or for that matter even make a legible argument.

You can't make silk purses out of cows' ears, and the freakshow circuit is never breeding any entrepreneurs. Much like the school system, bright people at the end of it get there in spite, not because of the entire process.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

How big can they screw it up?

cmon guy that isnt fair. They are in beta, users should understand that there will be some bugs in the code that need to be worked out.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:56:09 PM

How big can they screw it up?

cmon guy that isnt fair. They are in beta, users should understand that there will be some bugs in the code that need to be worked out.

MPEx beta ran February to March 2012. It also had no fees.

What exactly do we need to understand, the perpetual beta with fees? Just more bullshit. You're not ready to serve your userbase, don't release. Externalizing your costs on the users may work for bs webapps nobody cares about, but Bitcoin is different. (This, incidentally, is a lesson the garden variety "web entrepreneur" is more than happy to learn on your coins.)

Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:24:25 PM

gadsdengraphics: They're using MongoDB. You can search for "coinbase" here to verify: http://www.mongodb.org/about/production-deployments/ Using a non-ACID compliant database for a financial application seems like a poor choice; hopefully they aren't using it keep logs of their financial transactions.

"Coinbase uses MongoDB for their primary datastore for their web app, api requests, etc. Coinbase is a decentralized, digital currency that is changing the world of payments."

I'll be damned... I am big fan of Mongo but I'd never ever use it for a financial backend. Please, someone from Coinbase come out and refute this for the sake of your company: Are you actually using mongo for the storage of the financial records themselves?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:30:01 PM

gadsdengraphics: They're using MongoDB. You can search for "coinbase" here to verify: http://www.mongodb.org/about/production-deployments/ Using a non-ACID compliant database for a financial application seems like a poor choice; hopefully they aren't using it keep logs of their financial transactions.

"Coinbase uses MongoDB for their primary datastore for their web app, api requests, etc. Coinbase is a decentralized, digital currency that is changing the world of payments."

I'll be damned... I am big fan of Mongo but I'd never ever use it for a financial backend. Please, someone from Coinbase come out and refute this for the sake of your company: Are you actually using mongo for the storage of the financial records themselves?

I am curious on this one also.  I mean the textbook example (I mean that literally as in any database textbook) of ACID is banking.  NoSQL has a lot of advantages but one area where it doesn't shine is financial transactions.
jp

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 03:37:45 PM

I am curious on this one also.  I mean the textbook example (I mean that literally as in any database textbook) of ACID is banking.  NoSQL has a lot of advantages but one area where it doesn't shine is financial transactions.

Yup. Even more troubling is their silence on everything. They are simply not responding to any emails to support@coinbase.com

Helping the world exit the traditional financial system.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:56:41 PM

"Coinbase is a decentralized, digital currency that is changing the world of payments."

That is about on par with the bullshit Amiretard Taaki was sprouting in that recent skynews feature. The one with "Here's where Bitcoin is made" shots about his flea-infested council flat and whatnot.

Where do all the roaches come from?!

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:08:36 PM

They are a bitcoin selling service that hasn't been able to sell bitcoin in a month or more.

I can attest to this being a solid fact.

I can attest to it being incorrect. I know many coinbase customers who have bought in the last month. Some of them have had weird issues with their balances, 100% of which were solved by customer service. The fact that they are often sold out shows how much demand there is. They seem to be working very hard to scale up as fast as possible.

Tonko

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:24:14 PM

I can attest to it being incorrect. I know many coinbase customers who have bought in the last month.

Can you ask them at what time they made their purchase, please? With which frequency do they retry, if it doesn't work the first time?
Maybe I need to get up @5AM and try, or some funny hour like that?
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:02:21 PM

The fact that they are often sold out shows how much demand there is.

Well yeah I'm sold out on my magick rainbow unicorn cupcakes as well. They do 250gh a watt.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:22:01 PM

I can attest to it being incorrect. I know many coinbase customers who have bought in the last month.

Can you ask them at what time they made their purchase, please? With which frequency do they retry, if it doesn't work the first time?
Maybe I need to get up @5AM and try, or some funny hour like that?
Search for the "coinbase trader" project on GitHub. It's a program that will use your API key to continually retry your order until it goes through.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 05:20:05 AM

Companies need to stop this "BETA" bullshit and stop hiding behind that for excuses when things go wrong. If it was monopoly money and it didn't matter if thousands worth of bitcoin were lost it wouldn't matter. But there is real world value behind the bitcoin here and having BETA attached to a transaction worth several thousand USD is quite stressful. They are basically using the general public for R&D. I follow this thread because I do LIKE coinbase. I'm just a prick some times when I see companies operating behind words like "BETA" and "EXPERIMENTAL" and alike. I do hope they succeed and hope all these type companies succeed. One day I'd want to wake up, log into my account and buy bitcoin with my credit card. Maybe that day will come but who knows when.

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: