Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:47:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: what would happen to the alt market if poloniex bought the farm?  (Read 1739 times)
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2016, 12:43:42 PM

now i'm sure these guys know what they're doing, but let's suppose poloniex shuts its doors. what effect do you think this would have on pumpville?

it is really hard to imagine what is going to happen. there just a lot of altcoins with a lot of volume on this exchange and the risk of them going down is the same as any other exchange service out there. i think there will be a lot of price drops. especially in ethereum

would people migrate to other exchanges or does poloniex have unique levels of trust compared to others?

obviously they will migrate to other places.
but i don't get why you say poloniex has  unique level of trust. they are the same as any other exchanger like bittrex, c-cex, bitfniex and cryptsy and i don't see anything that separates polo from others.

can you elaborate on this?

--looking for signature--

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 09:21:01 PM

This exchange had been the most active exchange and is even more popular nowadays than Bittrex, so if a news comes up of an attack or even if they decide to run away with people's money, I guess that there will be a huge dump in Bitcoins because it is all based on security which is why we are all here together...

Poloniex doesn't have anything special like more trust, but they do have better trading engines and things like margin trading and lending makes it a completely different exchange with such features and if it goes down, then why won't people migrate to others???

European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 09:26:43 PM

can you elaborate on this?

it's where the whales have parked themselves. nowhere else has had volumes of that magnitude and it never seems to go anywhere else either. it's come back just fine from a hack which very few alt exchanges have and it has the best ui. that's attractive to people.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 12:56:56 AM

This exchange had been the most active exchange and is even more popular nowadays than Bittrex, so if a news comes up of an attack or even if they decide to run away with people's money, I guess that there will be a huge dump in Bitcoins because it is all based on security which is why we are all here together...

Poloniex doesn't have anything special like more trust, but they do have better trading engines and things like margin trading and lending makes it a completely different exchange with such features and if it goes down, then why won't people migrate to others???

well you could say thay have something special... first... they dont have coin votes so you cannot buy a shitcoin in with few btc. Second they are most likely always the first exchange to add innovatives coins with new codebases... where other exchanges struggled with
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 02:44:05 PM

Bittrex would become the new pump centre of the world
blackhawk101

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 05:58:41 PM

Re: what would happen to the alt market if poloniex bought the farm?

it would be a good day
talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 12:40:02 AM

As others mentioned preveiously, Poloniex had been hacked before. It will be hacked again. It's just a matter of time. Not if, but when. They were able to compensate the users, but then they were a small exchange with few users. Now that it's grown big, when the next hack comes, don't think they will so easily provide compensation, there will be a haircut. So, trade there with full expectation of losing your money.

gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 04:19:06 PM

well you could say thay have something special... first... they dont have coin votes so you cannot buy a shitcoin in with few btc. Second they are most likely always the first exchange to add innovatives coins with new codebases... where other exchanges struggled with

So, you want to say that they are too special that even those innovative coins don't get pumped on their exchange???
They ain't special in my eyes, I do trade there but they are not special... Even they got attacks and were almost gone during March...
But yeah, I do believe that they do have special security for their users to protect their funds and not get ripped...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: