Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:49:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does Mt.Gox work?  (Read 1029 times)
key2 (OP)

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:03:07 AM

Hi All,

I'm just wondering how Mt.Gox (and other brokerage sites) actually work? Do they have actual branches of their banks or is it like a separate company that holds a bank account and sets up a database of users to transfer funds to separately? I know Mt Gox's bank is in Japan but is the company also hosted there. Just very confused with regard to security and how they're set up to make all this happen without any pressure from banks or governments. So how does something like Mt Gox actually get set up? Still researching a ton about BTC in general and have a lot of questions but this one was kind of nagging me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:17:53 AM

Hi All,

I'm just wondering how Mt.Gox (and other brokerage sites) actually work? Do they have actual branches of their banks or is it like a separate company that holds a bank account and sets up a database of users to transfer funds to separately? I know Mt Gox's bank is in Japan but is the company also hosted there. Just very confused with regard to security and how they're set up to make all this happen without any pressure from banks or governments. So how does something like Mt Gox actually get set up? Still researching a ton about BTC in general and have a lot of questions but this one was kind of nagging me.

Actually, MtGox is more than just Japan.

Our head office is located in Tokyo (in Shibuya), and we have branches all around the world. For example for European deposits, we have a bank account in Poland held by MtGox Poland.

We comply as much as possible with local regulations in countries where we are present, and always look for opportunities to make our activity more compliant. In Japan we discussed with the FSA ( http://www.fsa.go.jp/ ) and were told that our activity is fine as it is now. We are also working with authorities in Europe and US to ensure our activity is in line with local regulations.

key2 (OP)

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 02:24:49 PM

Hi All,

Our head office is located in Tokyo (in Shibuya), and we have branches all around the world. For example for European deposits, we have a bank account in Poland held by MtGox Poland.

We comply as much as possible with local regulations in countries where we are present, and always look for opportunities to make our activity more compliant. In Japan we discussed with the FSA ( http://www.fsa.go.jp/ ) and were told that our activity is fine as it is now. We are also working with authorities in Europe and US to ensure our activity is in line with local regulations.

Very cool, thanks for replying.

So for every account that signs up, you have a separate database (with the merchant account number like MTG12X45459 or whatever) that you transfer the incoming bank funds to?

Also for instance if all deposits go to the Japan bank - doesn't it cost you money to pay out in USD - or are all your accounts foreign currency accounts? Just wondering how you avoid all the fees (or is it simply built into your .6% and 1000yen fee)?
Cashitter

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 08:50:18 AM

Hi All,

Hey, is it true that Mt.Gox originally stood for "Magic the gathering online exchange"?
ironstove

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

Possibilities are limitless

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 09:15:16 AM

Yes. Mtgox used to be a MTG site for people to trade cards, but now is a bitcoin exchange. Oh how times change....
proper_pizza

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 10:11:08 AM

Yes. Mtgox used to be a MTG site for people to trade cards, but now is a bitcoin exchange. Oh how times change....

Haha. From nerdy to nerdier.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: