Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:12:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [RESOLVED] X6500 - Power Issue  (Read 1136 times)
Bicknellski (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:43:28 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 09:12:25 AM by Bicknellski

I have recently purchased a few X6500's and all were working well till today. One board the usb (data) led lights but the power led remains dark the fans do not spin when powered by the molex through the board. I have changed power going in from the the psu switching in the plugs from the working boards. There is was no smoke, smell or issues with heat. What can I do to trouble shoot this?

1. I will try and get a barrel plug soon to test if I can get power in that way.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ltcfaucet

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:44:47 PM

You could just sell it to me.

Eh?

lol
nbtcminer

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:57:07 PM

I have recently purchased a few X6500's and all were working well till today. One board the usb (data) led lights but the power led remains dark. I have changed power going in from the the psu switching in the plugs from the working boards. There is was no smoke, smell or issues with heat. What can I do to trouble shoot this?

1. I will try and get a barrel plug soon to test if I can get power in that way.

When it's power via the molex connection and plug into the PC; does the PC detect that a new device is being plugged in?
Tyger

Activity: 141
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:05:18 PM

Probably a bad cap or something, when you use a barrel plug one of 2 things will happen:
1. the component that is defect will heat up or you will see a bit of smoke.
2. the plug will die because the short (assuming it is in short) in the circuit will take to much power from it.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:23:24 PM

Is it a rev-3 unit with the red board and fans, or the earlier one with the blue board?

My red-board ones have 3 LEDs.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:01:10 AM

* It is a rev-3 unit with the red board and fans. (No power LED my error. 1 Data Led, 2 Mining LEDs either side of the chips).

* The molex from the PSU doesn't provide power and it is no longer detected. It was working fine before I resituated the boards to my other desktop. The other boards working fine. There is no heat or smoke nor was there any at any point, no burnt electrical smell, the fans do not spin when molex is plugged in with the board anymore, the 'dead' board was running hotter than the other boards nearly 50C without interruption for 8 hours at 400 mhz on the ...merged200mhz firmware.

* The fans can be powered directly through the molex.

*  The LED lights up for the data usb plug on the board.

I got a bad feeling it is pooched. Anything I can do if the barrel plug doesn't work or is it bricked?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:10:02 AM

Probably a bad cap or something, when you use a barrel plug one of 2 things will happen:
1. the component that is defect will heat up or you will see a bit of smoke.
2. the plug will die because the short (assuming it is in short) in the circuit will take to much power from it.

Thanks will let you know... I am guessing the barrel is not working either... and the capacitor or component that is pooched just didn't smoke out or fry in that manner. ARGG!

Tyger

Activity: 141
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 02:59:18 PM

if you know your way around electronics i would say check the power on the board with a multimeter or scope.
Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:31:00 PM

I would check the fuse first.  It's the component labeled F1, just to the right of the Molex connector.

If it measures more than 1 ohm, it's probably blown and should be replaced (or bridged if you like to live on the edge.)

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:30:09 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 08:53:11 AM by Bicknellski

Possibly the F1 [w] fuse on the board for the molex. The barrel plug powers the unit but not hashing.

Note: My barrel plug adapter can change settings. I have tried 9V and 12V 500mA max output

Voltage:   12V            
Current:   500mA            
Power:   6 W      

Need more power I guess through the barrel plug. Max output is 500mA unfortunately. Typically the board draws what 17 or more for the fpga's alone. I have tried put the fans on the molex but the power through the barrel just isn't enough just need to find a 9v - 12v adapter to push out higher wattage.

Error:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What should I try now?

I note that the temperatures for "bottom" card are low and never increase. I suspect not getting enough power or there is a problem with the board or fpga's.

---- For future reference -----

How does one test and replace the F1 [w] on the board?

Must need a special tool and technique as it is so small and was pressed into place when fabricated.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 08:07:49 AM

I have tried 9V and 12V 500mA max output
If I recall correctly the X6500 consumes ~20W, so you need more like 2amps at 12V.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:11:05 AM

Resolved. Found a large enough power supply for the barrel plug. An old laptop adpater with the correct barrel and wattage output. Hashing at 400 mhz on the bottom board. Back in biznous!

The fuse at F1 [w] most likely the problem. Still loved to know how to fix that.

Bogart
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:53:48 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 06:00:47 PM by Bogart

How does one test and replace the F1 [w] on the board?

Must need a special tool and technique as it is so small and was pressed into place when fabricated.

It's soldered onto the board.  If I were doing it, I would probably use 2 soldering irons to melt both ends at once.  Alternately, you could leave the blown fuse in place and solder a new one on top of it.

To test it, I would use a multimeter on the "ohms" setting.  Put one probe on each end of the fuse.  If it measures much more than 1 ohm, it's probably blown.  Mine measured about 0.8 ohms.

I'd think a 2A or maybe 2.5A fuse would make an appropriate replacement.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:23:11 PM
Last edit: April 15, 2013, 09:05:18 AM by Bicknellski

I think for now I'll make do with the plug I have in place. Do not want to mess with it too much.

Thanks for the advice and all that helped me get through it.

Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 02:02:54 PM

Pretty happy with the units they humm along nicely close to 1200 Mh/s with no downtime except for the occasional power outages in Jakarta.

Even with the one board and the suspect fuse it doesn't cause any issues.

Very happy with these units. I can see why they are hard to buy owners not willing to give them up too easily. Wish I could get some more.

Zeronic

Activity: 243
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 03:47:18 PM

I saw a post on IRC that we would need at least 300+ orders for them to run another patch and it would take 12 to 18 weeks.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Ltcfaucet

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:25:36 PM

I saw a post on IRC that we would need at least 300+ orders for them to run another patch and it would take 12 to 18 weeks.

At retail of $550?

Or at a discounted price?
Zeronic

Activity: 243
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 05:33:35 PM

Since these would be brand new units, I would guess the $550 price tag.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Ltcfaucet

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 07:56:26 PM

Since these would be brand new units, I would guess the $550 price tag.

I wouldn't think it would be worth it at that point.

If they could cut the cost in half I would purchase more.
Bicknellski (OP)

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 09:10:21 AM

Should we start another thread? Timing though sucks 3 months minimum?

Might be too long and I got my 3 used at about $450... loved to get more. Already paid mine off if the BTC price was still $266 lol oh well easy come easy go.

Start a new thread let's see who is willing. The DIY Asic might be more reasonably priced. Also I thought there was talk of the X6500 being open sourced?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: