Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:53:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] bitcoin-0.8.1-win32 and bandwith usage  (Read 1555 times)
redliner (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 01:57:07 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 05:31:43 PM by redliner

If I leave my bitcoin wallet open, after about 15 to 20 minutes my internet speed slows to a crawl. Is this normal? Right now I am just doing a little pool mining so it's no big deal but in the future I might do a little solo mining and this could become a problem.

edit: I am also having the same problem with litecion wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redliner (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:40:09 AM

anyone?
movellan

Activity: 357
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:05:55 AM

If I leave my bitcoin wallet open, after about 15 to 20 minutes my internet speed slows to a crawl. Is this normal? Right now I am just doing a little pool mining so it's no big deal but in the future I might do a little solo mining and this could become a problem.

edit: I am also having the same problem with litecion wallet.

Running QT 0.8.1? Open Windoze Task Manager, click on the "Processes" tab, then start QT. My machine (Intel quad) shows around 25-30 in the CPU column while QT Loads the index, verifies data and catches up sync with the blockchain.. After this CPU will probably go to 0 or just above. When QT reads a new block, the CPU might blip a bit but nothing major. Your readings may differ.

If you are mining on the same machine, I can't say what might cause the slowdown. Check Task Manager CPU figures for your mining software.
redliner (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:20:29 PM

Thanks movellan for taking the time to reply.

First, let me start off by saying I am fairly computer literate.(well... at least that is how I have made a living for the past 25+ years) I have an AMD 8350 (8 core, black edition) with 16 gigs of memory and a gigabyte 7850 OC running on windoze 8 64 bit, with a DSL (6.0 Mbps down, 512 Kbps up) connection.
     I am using bitcoin-0.8.1-win32 (v0.8.1-beta, Qt 4.8.3) and litecoin (v0.6.3c-beta, Qt 4.7.4) and cgminer.While I have no problem pool mining on this rig as long as my wallet (bit or lite) is closed, if I open my wallet and leave it open, in under an hour my internet connection becomes virtually useless. The same thing happens even if I am not mining,

just opening the wallet and leaving it open kills my internet connection (no mining).

I have been playing with both bit and lite coins and have tried pool and solo mining on both.(yes, I know solo on bitcoin is a waste but maybe some new hardware in the future)

As far as the task manager goes, the memory usage climbs to about 5% but everything seems normal.

The only thing I can see is "active connection(s)" after running for a short time (~15 minuets) the active connections is between 15 to 25 but since other family member like to use the internet I have to stop the wallet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if I can give anymore info just let me know.

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 03:42:55 PM

First, let me start off by saying I am fairly computer literate.(well... at least that is how I have made a living for the past 25+ years) I have an AMD 8350 (8 core, black edition) with 16 gigs of memory and a gigabyte 7850 OC running on windoze 8 64 bit, with a DSL (6.0 Mbps down, 512 Kbps up) connection.
     I am using bitcoin-0.8.1-win32 (v0.8.1-beta, Qt 4.8.3) and litecoin (v0.6.3c-beta, Qt 4.7.4) and cgminer.While I have no problem pool mining on this rig as long as my wallet (bit or lite) is closed, if I open my wallet and leave it open, in under an hour my internet connection becomes virtually useless. The same thing happens even if I am not mining,

just opening the wallet and leaving it open kills my internet connection (no mining).

I have been playing with both bit and lite coins and have tried pool and solo mining on both.(yes, I know solo on bitcoin is a waste but maybe some new hardware in the future)

As far as the task manager goes, the memory usage climbs to about 5% but everything seems normal.

The only thing I can see is "active connection(s)" after running for a short time (~15 minuets) the active connections is between 15 to 25 but since other family member like to use the internet I have to stop the wallet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if I can give anymore info just let me know.

someone is downloading the blockchain from you and saturating your upstream.

only solution is third party programs, or possibly something like QoS
beppe

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:08:20 PM

to control your traffic you can use netbalancer  - seriousbit.com/netbalancer

the unregistered version allows you to set limits for 3 applications
movellan

Activity: 357
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:48:20 PM

Puzzling. Any recent hdwe/sfwear upgrades/changes concurrent with the problem? Connecting through your ISP or a VPN? Tried switching various VPN nodes? Can you narrow the start of the problem to a specific event? Check Windoze Event Logs? Just some ideas.

TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:54:59 PM

There is no bandwidth throttling in the current clients (there should be IMHO). Since it seems only miners can verify transactions (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there is no point in having the bitcoin app running unless you actually want to do a transaction.
theseusperse

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:58:11 PM

Depending what version of Windows you are using the application can use loads of your processing power as well, on my computer it uses up to 60% (and I'm running a core i7!). Seems to only do this when the block is being downloaded or uploaded though, but it's more than enough to slow down my whole internet.
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 05:06:52 PM

There is no bandwidth throttling in the current clients (there should be IMHO). Since it seems only miners can verify transactions (someone correct me if I'm wrong) there is no point in having the bitcoin app running unless you actually want to do a transaction.

All nodes verify transactions and relay them to other nodes.  While miners are the only ones who create new blocks of confirmed transactions all nodes verify everything.  Not running your node full time also gives you the disadvantage of having to sync up to current block before being able engage in transactions.

To the OP.  The client (version 0.1 to 0.8.1) lacks any form of bandwidth control.  If you randomly get connected to all new nodes that need to bootstrap and they have good internet connections it can saturation your internet link.  Currently you can use some form of bandwith management tool (some routers also support QOS - quality of service).  Hopefully future versions of the client will include at least some basic bandwidth throttling.
redliner (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:12:55 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 05:30:31 PM by redliner

someone is downloading the blockchain from you and saturating your upstream.

Thanks

That makes sense, not sure how I missed that. I am trying netbalancer now, if that does the trick I will set up QoS on my net work.
and add solved

I was under the impression that in order to solo mine you have to have the wallet open.

no bandwidth throttling Shocked
Am I the only one with a crappy internet connection or just the only one solo mining

Update: netbalancer worked Smiley

Thanks to everyone
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:31:04 PM

All nodes verify transactions and relay them to other nodes.  While miners are the only ones who create new blocks of confirmed transactions all nodes verify everything.
Thanks for clarifying. Does that mean only miners are able to put blocks into the block chain and clients are merely signatories that they have done it correctly?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: