Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:20:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PSA: Bitcoin needs you  (Read 3754 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:09:17 PM

The huge run-up in price poses a subtle but very significant threat to Bitcoin.

As price went from 9 to 90 two things happened: a lot of media coverage which has attracted a lot of newb users on one hand, and some divestment of old blood looking to buy that new car/house/girlfriend on the other.

This fundamentally alters the landscape: the new people mean well but mostly don't understand Bitcoin - much like the Endless September folks didn't understand the Internet. They don't know the history, they have at best a tenuous grasp on finance, they don't have at the ready the skills required for Bitcoin survival. They're lambs to the slaughter pretty much.

Along with them we've seen a flood of scum - like this, this, this and like probably thousands more, simply looking to fleece the noobs. Much like flies follow any herd of ruminants, scammers will follow the retail user anywhere. They've followed them here, they're getting ready to set up shop and they're going to try and take over the show.

Bitcoin is open and decentralized. This means you can't wait for the state to keep them in check.

There's no state in Bitcoin. The only authority is you, and Bitcoin's safety depends upon you exercising that authority. If you see a scam which is obvious but you don't say anything, there's going to be someone who doesn't realize it's a scam, and imagines his interaction with a scammer is what Bitcoin actually is. What may seem obvious to you is not obvious at all to Random Joe Onebitcoin. Heck, the fact that Bitcoin exists to begin with wasn't obvious to R. J. six weeks ago.

See something, say something. You don't have to prove a scam's a scam, you don't have to find the scammer's hut and bitchslap him or her. You just have to put the obvious into words.

If scammers take over Bitcoin there's no future.

It doesn't take much effort to safeguard its future, because it's really easy to puncture the sort of fake "consensus" scammers depend on. Just say something.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:15:00 PM

Questions like this are going to come up more frequently:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b4ozh/can_someone_please_explain_how_to_move_btc_from/
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:39:58 PM

Yup, definitely this ^^^.

The community needs to be ready to answer the stupid questions and move on rather than the sarcasm/trolling/hate/etc we see a lot of now.  Hopefully everyone understands that the people are new and don't know what they're doing, we were all there once.
conv3rsion

Activity: 310
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 03:40:33 PM

Scammers and malware are a bigger threat than governments.
nicolazza

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 03:43:27 PM

just build a site, maybe "bitcoin scam" database, a directory of proved scam!
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:15:10 PM

Scammers and malware are a bigger threat than governments.

Absolutely. Much bigger.

The problem with that approach is that it fragments discourse.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
DataPlumber

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 06:36:50 PM

Just like how everybody on FB uses Snopes before reposting crap!

altoz

Activity: 78
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:42:08 PM

Maybe there should be some sort of BBB for bitcoin companies? An objective, trusted third party to establish trust?
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:46:43 PM

Maybe there should be some sort of BBB for bitcoin companies? An objective, trusted third party to establish trust?

Someone tried to set that up before, pretty sure it died.  It's hard to get everyone to use one service like that, and most people won't even check it.
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:37:16 AM

There is this site, but it seems to have gone quiet:

http://bitcoin-shitlist.com/
justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:49:02 AM

Minimal trust is the way to go. There are no objective parties.

A better solution is a surety system that doesn't rely on a single party for anything.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=153221.msg1628630#msg1628630
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:43:33 PM

A better solution is a surety system that doesn't rely on a single party for anything.

Business can't function without trust. The attempt to remove trust from business is very much an Aspie/coder/geek thing to do and just as misguided as the sort of stuff them people usually come up with. 

The correct approach isn't to get a pillow as your girlfriend, the correct approach is to sanely interact with the actual girls out there.

justusranvier
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:48:15 PM

Business can't function without trust. The attempt to remove trust from business is very much an Aspie/coder/geek thing to do and just as misguided as the sort of stuff them people usually come up with. 

The correct approach isn't to get a pillow as your girlfriend, the correct approach is to sanely interact with the actual girls out there.
That's what they all say.
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:53:36 PM

IMO, the business should have earned its trust somehow already, BTC is just another way for me to pay this business for the services it renders. If anything i would trust a company with my credit card # FAR faster than i would with some BTC

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DanielBTC

Activity: 788
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 06:55:33 PM

Reaction post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160968.0

(portugues - Brasil/portugal)

[Daniel BTC] - 9 AB (after bitcoin)
http://www.usandobitcoin.com.br - Bitcoin para Iniciantes
OTC: DanielBTC Bitrated user: DanielBTC.
coveredbeetle11772

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 07:51:50 PM

We need to get more and more physical stores to starting accepting bitcoin, that will help alot.
gglon

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 09:01:27 PM

Proposition: bitcoin security browser addon.

Community would be able to instantly flag pages according to their credibility.
BitcoinUK

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:16:37 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 05:20:23 AM by BitcoinUK

and then will come 20 scamming keylogger add-ons pretending to also be security assurance tools.

What there needs to be is a 'tip of the day' box built into the satoshi client warning of the potential hazards. Even have the forums set a training course as part of the newbie process, to give noobs something valuable to read while they wait 4 hours which can earn them access to the forums within 3 hours if they pass a test of some sorts at the end.
tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 05:40:02 AM

and then will come 20 scamming keylogger add-ons pretending to also be security assurance tools.

What there needs to be is a 'tip of the day' box built into the satoshi client warning of the potential hazards. Even have the forums set a training course as part of the newbie process, to give noobs something valuable to read while they wait 4 hours which can earn them access to the forums within 3 hours if they pass a test of some sorts at the end.

Newbies shouldn't use the satoshi client.  Tips are a good idea in theory, but like the newbie section very few will actually read the information given to them.
WilderedB

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:23:58 AM

I like this, I like this a lot!

Could it not be made open source and trustworthy, to those worried about keyloggers?

Perhaps a Chrome extension?

Just hanging around the world of bitcoin, visting some links from this forum and a Google alert for all things bitcoin has led to not 1, not 2, but 6 different virus and trojan attacks on my PC. At one point so bad that Avast seemed to give up altogether. I now run AVG, Malawarebytes and Commodo cleaner.

The filth and scum out there hang around bitcoin like flies on shit.

This is the perfect opportunity for the free market to step up and tackle this.. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: