Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:39:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there graphs of Namecoin value over time?  (Read 3744 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 09:50:30 PM

I think Namecoin can be an interesting diversification for BTC holders.

Not so much that I'm confident in the project (not nearly as I am in Bitcoin), but you can invest 1-2% of your BTC in Namecoin just for the heck of it.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Macho

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 09:55:48 PM

I really dislike the name "Namecoin" ... BitDNS was much better, I'm wondering why they chose one over the other, but well ... yeah, I do not plan to invest in Namecoin really but it may be because of the name only Grin so others who are more courageous to experiment, let us know how it goes if you do invest in it Wink
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2011, 11:46:47 PM

"BitDNS" is a mouthful and doesn't mean anything to non-techies.

"Namecoin" is more human, and connotes the relationship to Bitcoin.

"Dot-bit" is the future of bitdns/namecoin because it captures the best elements of both, and suggests its function as the domain extension for bitcoin sites.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 05:20:34 AM

I don't know of any nmc/btc charts yet. The only existing exchange only went up less than 2 weeks ago so not much data anyway. Currently people are estimating their value based on the difficulty ratio between both block chains plus a little premium.

I definitely think diversifying your holdings to namecoin is a good idea. If a cross miner is created then the namecoin network would be able to become as secure as bitcoin's and merchants would probably start accepting it as payment. Since namecoins have at least one more use than bitcoins then it's not inconceivable that they end up being more valuable.

I really dislike the name "Namecoin" ... BitDNS was much better, I'm wondering why they chose one over the other, but well ... yeah, I do not plan to invest in Namecoin really but it may be because of the name only Grin so others who are more courageous to experiment, let us know how it goes if you do invest in it Wink

I invested in namecoin and if I sold them all at the current ask price then I would have tripled my investment.
Anth0n

Activity: 144
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:28:41 AM

I invested in namecoin and if I sold them all at the current ask price then I would have tripled my investment.

It's a good hedge against BTC. As BTC price goes down, NMC price goes up. But it's even better than being that simple, because NMC difficulty catches up faster, so NMC value goes up in that way, too. Basically NMC price will most likely go up no matter what, with a bonus if BTC goes down. Instead of selling BTC for dollars, I think it's better to sell BTC for NMC. Especially since the next difficulty will be 4.6 times the current one and will start at an estimated time of within 24 hours.

For diversification, I spent some of my BTC on NMC. That way I'm not totally bummed out when BTC goes down. I'm confident BTC will go up in the long run, but it makes it easier to deal with the swings.
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:39:36 AM

Nothing stops you from calling it BitDNS yourself.  Perpaps that name will catch on. That's the beauty of decentralisation.

BitDNS :  the overarching project.

Namecoin: the things you buy in order to buy domain names.

dot-bit :  the ecosystem around BitDNS

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 06:59:10 AM

I wonder if, in the future when we also have FastCoin, SlowCoin, and YourMomsCoin, there will be an IndexCoin that indexes all the different coins like S&P does to the stock market.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2011, 11:30:38 PM

I wonder if, in the future when we also have FastCoin, SlowCoin, and YourMomsCoin, there will be an IndexCoin that indexes all the different coins like S&P does to the stock market.

And ... we're almost there. I give the IndexCoin (or more likely, a client that maintains a balance of the current coins via trading on the different exchanges automatically to achieve an investment portfolio composed of the coins selected by the user) a few more months before it appears.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: