Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:33:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Gov Link Enables Local Governments to Accept Bitcoin  (Read 2300 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:19:13 PM

http://www2.egovlink.com/press-release-bitcoin.cfm

E-Gov Link announced today integration of Bitcoin payments into its popular E-Gov suite of products.  Bitcoin, a global digital currency, is gaining in popularity, and provides citizens and municipalities a more cost effective solution for payments.

Local governments who offer online payments can now provide their citizens with another choice of payment method.   Integration with a backend payment processor provides the municipality with US Dollars that they expect.  And the transaction costs are a fraction of traditional credit card purchases.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:37:55 PM

E-Gov Link announced today integration of Bitcoin payments into its popular E-Gov suite of products.  Bitcoin, a global digital currency, is gaining in popularity, and provides citizens and municipalities a more cost effective solution for payments.

Local governments who offer online payments can now provide their citizens with another choice of payment method.   Integration with a backend payment processor provides the municipality with US Dollars that they expect.  And the transaction costs are a fraction of traditional credit card purchases.

huh what?

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
ColdHardMetal

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 04:51:05 PM

huh what?

A back end system 99.99% US citizens have never heard of is making it possible for the municipal governments that probably most of that 99.99% deal with on a semi-regular basis to accept BTC as a payment option.

IE: The "I can't pay my bills/taxes with BTC thus they are worthless trash" crowd potentially has a few less bills/taxes they can whine about.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 04:58:28 PM

Wow. Here are some of the cities using e-gov link:

Amberley Village, OH
 Population: 3,425
www.amberleyvillage.org
Mobile Site

Bel Aire, KS
 Population: 6,522
www.belaireks.org

Georgetown, SC
 Population: 8,951
www.cogsc.com

Somers, CT
 Population: 10,417
www.somersct.gov

New Providence, NJ
 Population: 11,983
www.newprov.org
Mobile Site

Wilmington, OH
 Population: 12,187
www.ci.wilmington.oh.us

Vandalia, OH
 Popluation: 14,495
www.ci.vandalia.oh.us

Eden, NC
 Population: 15,930
www.edennc.us

Plymouth Township, PA
 Population: 16,045
www.plymouthtownship.org
Mobile Site

Mt. Juliet, TN
 Population: 16,495
www.cityofmtjuliet.org
Mobile Site

Sycamore Twp, OH
 Population: 19,675
www.sycamoretownship.org

Carlsbad, NM
 Population: 25,303
www.cityofcarlsbadnm.com

North Olmsted, OH
 Population: 33,481
www.north-olmsted.com

West Chester, OH
 Population: 56,500
www.westchesteroh.org
Mobile Site

Dearborn Heights, MI
Population: 57,373
www.ci.dearborn-heights.mi.us

Skokie, IL
 Population: 63,633
www.skokie.org

Saranac Lake, NY
 Population: 5,377
www.saranaclakeny.gov

Ketchikan, AK
 Population: 7,453
www.city.ketchikan.ak.us

Waynesville, NC
 Population: 9,347
www.townofwaynesville.org

Sturgis, MI
 Population: 11,127
www.sturgismi.gov

West Carrollton, OH
 Population: 13,487
www.westcarrollton.org

Payson, AZ
 Population: 14,301
www.paysonaz.gov

Warrington Twp, PA
 Population: 17,580
www.warringtontownship.org
Mobile Site

Angleton, TX
 Population: 18,625
www.angleton.tx.us

Lockport, IL
 Population: 19,217
www.lockport.org

Mooresville, NC
 Population:19,606
www.ci.mooresville.nc.us

Monroe, MI
 Population: 21,630
www.ci.monroe.mi.us

Winter Haven, FL
 Population: 27,137
www.mywinterhaven.com
Mobile Site

Romeoville, IL
 Population: 32,481
www.romeoville.org

Sarasota, FL
 Population: 53,259
www.sarasotagov.com

Niagara Falls, NY
 Population: 55,593
www.niagarafallsusa.org

Colerain Township, OH
 Population: 60,144
www.coleraintwp.org

Montgomery, OH
 Population: 9,753
www.montgomeryohio.org

Anoka, MN
 Population: 17,858
www.ci.anoka.mn.us

Menlo Park, CA
 Population: 29,811
www.menlopark.org

Maricopa, AZ
 Population: 37,863
www.maricopa-az.gov

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ColdHardMetal

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:01:58 PM

Well that's certainly a little underwhelming.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 05:20:33 PM

That was a partial list. Basically they deal with suburbs and towns, not big cities.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 05:26:49 PM

This is an easy way to encourage your town officials to accept Bitcoin without the need to explain anything about Bitcoin.

You can push e-gov link as a modern alternative to their old way of handling things.

Hmm, my county uses Civic Plus http://civicplus.com/

I will encourage them to use e-gov link while also pressuring Civic Plus to accept Bitcoin.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
jerfelix

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 06:55:25 PM

Hi.  I'm with E-Gov Link.  Yeah, we're no Amazon, but we're doing what we can to help the Bitcoin economy.  I'm of the mindset of "if we all do what we can, where we can, to further the acceptance of Bitcoin, then this will succeed."  and this is something we could do.

We have customers across the US, in over 30 states.  We're dealing with small and medium sized municipalities - cities, towns, townships, villages, and counties, and we provide web solutions for them.

Glad to answer any questions. 
We also covered a lot on Reddit: 
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b63xq/pay_the_government_with_bitcoin_leading_municipal/

We look at Bitcoin as a competitive advantage. 
(Quote me on that!)

SBC

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 07:02:17 PM

I guess the main problem is waiting for the value to stabilize. I can't seen how many individuals or businesses would want to pay their bills at the present time when, for ever extra hour they hold their coins they appreciate by several cents. This current rise cannot be good for any merchants denominating their goods or services in Bitcoin or even just accepting payment in Bitcoin.
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:03:34 PM

Bets on how many years till the US government will only take BTC?  Grin

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:14:49 PM

Never!
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2013, 07:29:42 PM

This is an easy way to encourage your town officials to accept Bitcoin without the need to explain anything about Bitcoin.

You can push e-gov link as a modern alternative to their old way of handling things.

Hmm, my county uses Civic Plus http://civicplus.com/

I will encourage them to use e-gov link while also pressuring Civic Plus to accept Bitcoin.

Better convince civicplus to take the same step as e-gov link than to advertise a product you have no clue about for one single feature that you happen to be a fan boy of and that you were presented with for exactly that reason.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 07:57:39 PM

I'm of the mindset of "if we all do what we can, where we can, to further the acceptance of Bitcoin, then this will succeed."  and this is something we could do.

We're of the same mindset. Thanks for doing what you can. It seems small to some now but could prove to be huge down the road.

I'll be emailing the folks I know in my city government with this link. Thanks for posting.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:30:29 PM

Wow.  Just, wow.

If this is not a joke, then it's a huge step forward for bitcoin.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
jerfelix

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

Wow.  Just, wow.

I assure you, it's not a joke.  The next step is for a municipality to step forward and ask us (E-Gov Link) to enable Bitcoin payments.

And so if some citizens contact their local city hall / town hall / township / village hall administrator, and say "hey, why don't you accept Bitcoins", then maybe the progressive ones will give us a call.

Feel free to direct them to the press release and to our website.

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:38:56 PM

Wow.  Just, wow.

I assure you, it's not a joke.  The next step is for a municipality to step forward and ask us (E-Gov Link) to enable Bitcoin payments.

And so if some citizens contact their local city hall / town hall / township / village hall administrator, and say "hey, why don't you accept Bitcoins", then maybe the progressive ones will give us a call.

You guys have to have been working on this well before the FinCEN guidance report.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:13:56 PM

Wow.  Just, wow.

Well-done, bravo!

Thanks for helping bring Bitcoin to the mainstream.

4096R/F5EA0017
Paul Troon

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:27:43 PM

I can't comment on the other cities listed, but Menlo Park (CA) would be a natural place to see government start accepting bitcoin.  They have an important tax base of VC and technology companies.  If any of those companies start to receive bitcoin income it would be natural for them to want to start paying their city obligations in bitcoin.

Bitrated user: paultroon.
ColdHardMetal

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:17:03 PM

Hi.  I'm with E-Gov Link.  Yeah, we're no Amazon, but we're doing what we can to help the Bitcoin economy.  I'm of the mindset of "if we all do what we can, where we can, to further the acceptance of Bitcoin, then this will succeed."  and this is something we could do.

We have customers across the US, in over 30 states.  We're dealing with small and medium sized municipalities - cities, towns, townships, villages, and counties, and we provide web solutions for them.

Glad to answer any questions. 
We also covered a lot on Reddit: 
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b63xq/pay_the_government_with_bitcoin_leading_municipal/

We look at Bitcoin as a competitive advantage. 
(Quote me on that!)

In retrospect that might have been a touch harsh. Really you're potentially exposing, what, a million plus people to BTC? Nothing wrong with that.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 04:40:29 PM

I highly doubt that unless it gets forced on them. IE their currency completely collapses. Even then I'm sure they will just come up with another way of slowly / quickly stealing your wealth.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: