Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:55:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain - how do i get out  (Read 854 times)
mctrix (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:29:19 PM

I have a blockchain account how do i get my key off the site essentially removing my account.

Prior to doing this i will need to get my private key which is stored...?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
funkimon

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:32:54 PM

I would just download Multibit set up a new wallet and abandon your old blockchain account . If you dont want to use them anymore
mctrix (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 09:34:10 PM
Last edit: March 28, 2013, 10:05:14 PM by mctrix

edit: A better way of asking my question is how do i decrypt my wallet file and this was my issue the bitcoin client wont import the .json file i now realise I need to use Multibit.

mctrix (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:05:24 PM

but my question still remains how do i remove the association of my wallet/public key from blockchain.info?
JimmiesForBitcoins

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:07:32 PM

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do away with it?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:15:22 PM

but my question still remains how do i remove the association of my wallet/public key from blockchain.info?

You can click archive on an address and then from the archive view delete the address and private key.

But that still leaves the key around in your backups.

For true secure transfer (to keys that have never been known to an online, network connected system), create new keys offline and do a send transaction so the funds are transferred there.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mctrix (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:19:05 PM

its more based on my lack of understanding...

Let me know if this is correct -  they dont actually have my wallet on their site/server they just decrypt it when i login (where from im not clear) as the wallet is either on my pc, from Google drive or Huh

I do realise its my browser that's decrypting my wallet not the actual site or server they are just providing a gui - correct?

Now if i dont have my wallet online and someone wants to send me some Bitcoins to my public address i will not actually receive those in my wallet but the network will know those coins belong to my address but if i view my wallet offline it wont show me my balance until the wallet is back online?
mctrix (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 10:21:25 PM

For true secure transfer (to keys that have never been known to an online, network connected system), create new keys offline and do a send transaction so the funds are transferred there.

is that because the network will know the public address by me providing it..? but if its completely offline how can it validate the address or is it because it doesnt have to?
pupinrubber

Activity: 5

View Profile
March 28, 2013, 11:06:22 PM

is that because the network will know the public address by me providing it..? but if its completely offline how can it validate the address or is it because it doesnt have to?

Read this:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

Yes, all you need in order to send money is the public address.  You could even send money to public addresses that don't exist yet! (well, technically they all already exist, just nobody knows the private keys).  Don't do this though, you can't create a private key from a public address - that's the whole point of the cryptography.  Anyway, create a new wallet offline with bitcoin-qt or some other client, generate a new address, and then use blockchain to send money to that address.  Make sure you back up the wallet that bitcoin-qt generates though - once its lost it's gone for good!

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:19:20 AM

or is it because it doesnt have to?

Yup, there's some error correction in the address to make it rare that a typo would cause what was entered accidentally to end up being a valid address but there's no repository of addresses or any registration or anything like that.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:52:21 AM

Erm.. *cough cough* import/export tab...

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:16:43 PM

its more based on my lack of understanding...

Let me know if this is correct -  they dont actually have my wallet on their site/server they just decrypt it when i login (where from im not clear) as the wallet is either on my pc, from Google drive or Huh

They store an encrypted copy of your wallet in their database.  They don't have your password, so they can't decrypt it.  When you want to spend bitcoins, their server sends your encrypted private key from their database to your browser, then your browser uses the password that you entered to decrypt the private key and create the transaction.

I do realise its my browser that's decrypting my wallet not the actual site or server they are just providing a gui - correct?

Correct.

Now if i dont have my wallet online and someone wants to send me some Bitcoins to my public address i will not actually receive those in my wallet but the network will know those coins belong to my address but if i view my wallet offline it wont show me my balance until the wallet is back online?

Correct. Although, you never "actually receive those in your wallet", your wallet just hasn't seen the blockchain updates yet.  Eventually when the wallet is online it will see the blockchain updates and will be able to tell you what is the total number of unspent bitcoins in the blockchain you have private keys for.
mctrix (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:19:41 PM

Snip

Thanks,

So if i wanted to how would i get my encrypted wallet out of their database so they no longer had it?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:54:08 AM

Snip
So if i wanted to how would i get my encrypted wallet out of their database so they no longer had it?

Once someone "knows" something, you can't really ever count on them to "un-know" it.

As Stephen Gornick already mentioned:
You can click archive on an address and then from the archive view delete the address and private key.

But that still leaves the key around in your backups.

Volador1

Activity: 50

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:17:19 AM

am nascent and am used an account of blockchain. Only comment that until now this working well. Greetings.

yo soy principiante y estoy usado una cuenta de blockchain.Solo comento que hasta ahora
 esta funcionando bien.

Saludos.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: