Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:08:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Newbie questions  (Read 2368 times)
silentbob17 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:45:40 PM

As I am a newbie, I have a few basic questions that I have been searching to understand better. Some of them I have found partial answers for and am just looking for confirmations that I do in fact understand them. They may be painfully newbish but I'd greatly appreciate some help, thanks!

Here we go:

1. Do I understand this correctly?: BitCoins that you currently have in your wallet can be backed up by making a copy of the "wallet.dat" file. If I were to re-install BitCoin on a formatted machine (or a different machine all together) I would simply place my backed-up "wallet.dat" file in the appropriate place and my balance would be restored.

2. I started mining for a pool. The pool is set to automatically send me bitcoins when my pool account reaches a certain balance. If my machine is off and BitCoin is not running, what will happen to the transaction? It is trying to send the BTC to my receiving address, but does BitCoin.exe have to be running for the transaction to complete? Will it fail? Does it get queued? This would apply to any situation where a sender is sending to an address where the receiver was not running their client.

3. I have a few different GPUs mining and am getting the hash rates found bellow this paragraph. I started simple with GUIMiner (v2011-05-21) and, again, I am mining for a pool. I am running W7 64-bit. Can anyone tell me if these numbers are what I should expect? Or are there some "Extra flags" or parameters that are optimized for ATI cards, that are a simple tweak for me? I'm trying to avoid geting TOO deep into this, but I'm willing to tinker a bit if I can get a better hash rate. And the reason I suspect that it's not optimal is that my 5770 is nearly the same rate as my 6850, but when it comes to gaming benchmarks, the 6850 is something like 70% better. Anyway, here are the results:

ATI 6850: 160 Mhash/s
ATI 5770: 150 Mhash/s
Nvidia 8800: 26 Mhash/s
Nvidia 8600: 6 Mhash/s

4. I was thinking about running a solo miner sometimes for the chance to get a whole block (since it is all chance based). The GUIMiner seems to have a simple-enough function to start the process but according to this article: http://www.newslobster.com/random/how-to-get-started-using-your-gpu-to-mine-for-bitcoins-on-windows it is not possible to run local mining with BitCoin v0.3.22 (which is the current). Is this the case? Or is there a simple way I can sun a solo miner?

Thanks ahead of time if anyone can help me out!
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:49:57 PM

1. Yes you are correct.

2. The transaction is still processed. It will just show up the next time you open the bitcoin client and download whatever blocks confirmed the transactions.

3. Go read one of the stickies about mining and there is wiki page with what people are getting with all sorts of cards.

4. You can solo mine but the predictability calculator says say 1 month for that setup you might wait up to 3 months for a single block. standard deviation applies.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 10:54:23 PM

1. no only the wallet contains 100 extra addresses for you to use, it means if you back up. then generates 101 addresses, and loses your wallet, and then recives payment on the 101'th address. you will lose the payment. advice: backup many times.

2. it will be included in a block, and when you download that block you will get your payment. you can safely shut your computer off Smiley

3. there are many tweeks. i don't know any of then. i dont mine.

4. run bitcoind, and point your miners to 127.0.0.1:8332. its only the standard cpu miner there is gone.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 11:58:15 PM

Thanks a lot for the answers so far!

I went back to the stickies but can't find what you are referring to. If it's like a database of card hash rates I'd love to see it, do you think you could link it to me?

I will play around with the solo mining, but the guide I found on setting it up says there is a problem with the latest version. Can anyone confirm this? Should I just wait until the guide is updated?

EDIT: Also, I'm curious if GUIMiner can produce the same hash rate as using poclbm.exe in a command window.
PaZer

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:14:25 AM

Hi,

check this pages:

1. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
2. http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=9674.0;all

ATI 6850: 160 Mhash/s -> 170 Mhash/s normal and up to 240 Mhash/s with overclocking
ATI 5770: 150 Mhash/s -> 180 Mhash/s normal and up to 230 Mhash/s with overclocking
Nvidia 8800: 26 Mhash/s -> OK
Nvidia 8600: 6 Mhash/s -> OK, forget this device, it's not worth running it

To be honest. With your mining power it's not worth for solo mining. Go for some good pool and try some pool mining.
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 03:45:20 AM

Thanks for those hardware links, those are super helpful Cheesy

Also, I managed to increase my hash rates! Using the recommended flags "-v -w 128" on my ATI cards increased my hash rates by about 20%, and there is a momentary spike into the 200s if I add the flag "-f 0".

Speaking of parameters, I can't seem to find a list of possible parameters that are used with this poclbm miner. Does anyone know if they are listed and explained somewhere? I seem to see "-k" in some of those hardware reports, but have no idea what it is or if that's on modded version of the miner.

For the solo'ing, I was thinking about running it on one computer overnight sometimes as a pure gamble. I am already mining for a pool. But again, it seems that there is a problem with solo atm? Are people resorting to a miner other than poclbm to solo for now?
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:34:55 AM

I have increased my hash rate yet again. I noticed there is a new version of GUIMiner that includes the Phoenix miner, which works better on my ATI cards. But again, I can't find info on what all the parameters do. Particularly the AGGRESSION parameter Tongue

EDIT: Ah, I found what I was looking for. It is within the link bellow, and the recommended settings for my card models works great.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6458.0

Now my only question remaining is:
Does anyone recommend a pool that is better than DeepBit? I was reading that there is a high-efficiency mining setup for bitcoin-pool. Does anyone have experience with this?
mellowhead

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 04:49:38 AM

I have increased my hash rate yet again. I noticed there is a new version of GUIMiner that includes the Phoenix miner, which works better on my ATI cards. But again, I can't find info on what all the parameters do. Particularly the AGGRESSION parameter Tongue

EDIT: Ah, I found what I was looking for. It is within the link bellow, and the recommended settings for my card models works great.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=6458.0

Now my only question remaining is:
Does anyone recommend a pool that is better than DeepBit? I was reading that there is a high-efficiency mining setup for bitcoin-pool. Does anyone have experience with this?
I think I found the answer to the aggression parameter in one of the readme files included with guiminer. If it's not there, try a forum search for that keyword. Pretty sure you'll find something there.
Something to do with the calculation threads per cycle or something like that, but I think it's only for phoenix?

11 Cheers for binary currency!
1BxQsmtVtzJD9uEe5MxcyqFaohpgb76ohs
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 03:28:35 AM

Still curious if anyone has experience mining for bitcoin-pool. They claim to have 5 times more efficiency based on better work allocation. Can anyone speak for this?
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:30:13 AM

One more question (I feel like this may be getting a little advanced Tongue):

I managed to run some solo mining with the new version 0.3.23 on a single machine. Then I looked into connecting my secondary machine to it. By adding the line "rpcallowip=10.0.0.*" to my "bitcoin.conf" file, I can connect any computer on my local network to mine solo along with the machine that is running "bitcoin.exe -server".

My questions is: Does this mean that I am effectively mining solo at a hash rate equal to the sum of all the computers connected? Or is this somehow less effective than running one super-powerful local miner?
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:05:22 AM

Well I found out that the modified version of poclbm has been discontinued as a high-efficiency miner for bitcoinpool. So that answers that question. They recommend using Phoenix now (which I have already switched to).

But my earlier question about solo mining still remains. If I connect multiple miners to my "bitcoin.exe -server", does it effectively sum up all the hash-rates of the mining computers? Obviously this is how a pool works, but these pools have complex job-assigning and tracking software above and beyond the simple "bitcoin.exe -server".
gideon g

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 03:14:14 AM

Well I found out that the modified version of poclbm has been discontinued as a high-efficiency miner for bitcoinpool. So that answers that question. They recommend using Phoenix now (which I have already switched to).

But my earlier question about solo mining still remains. If I connect multiple miners to my "bitcoin.exe -server", does it effectively sum up all the hash-rates of the mining computers? Obviously this is how a pool works, but these pools have complex job-assigning and tracking software above and beyond the simple "bitcoin.exe -server".

Yes, that does work.  The pools are all running the headless version of the bitcoin client, along with some other software.
silentbob17 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 05:45:35 AM

Yes, that does work.  The pools are all running the headless version of the bitcoin client, along with some other software.

Ah thanks for the reply. So I could essentially create my own pool with some friends by simply having them connect to my server... then keep all the coins!  Grin ....  Shocked
Comepradz

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 17, 2011, 06:21:44 AM

And remember, you need at least few tens GHash/s to get more frequent generation at current difficulty.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: