Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:26:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me build a mining rig (my $$) and get % of first months rewards  (Read 2070 times)
FreshFund (OP)

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 09:56:21 AM

So, I really want to build a rig that mines altcoins.

But
I'm going to need someone to point me in the right direction for parts..  Huh

I've googled and read post after post about how to build a mining rig optimized for altcoins such as ByteCoin.
Just when I think I'm understanding, I realize that no.. no I'm not..

So I say chuck it in the fuck it bucket and move on, maybe I can find a helping hand here?

Also would give me an opportunity to build trust in the community  Smiley
as I've only made small contributions via image contests & voting - other than general community support!

|  |  |                            |     |
v v  v  Here's what's up  v    v

The overall goal is not to make a specific ROI based on coins mined per day -- though that would be an added bonus of course.
But rather a good way for me to mine a substantial amount of new and existing coins for speculative investment purposes.
That plan may change if some coin becomes insanely profitable to mine.

Some info:

Mainly looking to mine CryptoNote currencies, but may be moving to other new coins

Max. budget for the build - $2000 US (would be incredible to do it for cheaper but that is the ceiling)

Payment for your help will obviously be discussed, but I was thinking 5% of the rewards for the first 50 days - or a flat fee based on calculations from the first reward

- Cheers!  Grin

NEM:NDMFCC-HHUNIX-M3SHZY-YNM5VK-BYZ6ZU-FVQXHB-H6GB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 10:05:35 AM

The only coin that's profitable these days is ETHEREUM. With $2000 USD you can make 1 ETH a day which is like $12 currently. In the near future that value may increase or decrease. Most likely you will only be able to mine for the next 6 months, then ETHEREUM will switch to POS which is not mineable anymore. Your gear should be paid off by then and you can resell it to gamers or continue mining other coins however most won't be as profitable by then.

You need some basic knowledge of electronics and computers to GPU mine. But there are many videos on Youtube.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 10:40:11 AM

The only coin that's profitable these days is ETHEREUM. With $2000 USD you can make 1 ETH a day which is like $12 currently. In the near future that value may increase or decrease. Most likely you will only be able to mine for the next 6 months, then ETHEREUM will switch to POS which is not mineable anymore. Your gear should be paid off by then and you can resell it to gamers or continue mining other coins however most won't be as profitable by then.

You need some basic knowledge of electronics and computers to GPU mine. But there are many videos on Youtube.

Thanks for the pointers! Smiley

I think I'm aware of the pitfalls of mining or atleast most of them, I've been interested in bitcoin since 2009.. I was a broke teenager at the time with no way of obtain BTC other than faucets (back when gavens faucet gave 0.5 btc <3). Of course being a dumb teen I either sold or broke the laptop that contained the wallet.dat, and been hovering, reading posts, articles and trading coins here & there ever since.

That's why I'm not going for the specified date Return Of Investment strategy, but speculative investment instead.
My overall goal is to mine as many coins as I can and hold onto them. Not to sell right away trying to instantly profit of my little machine (it's more long term holding)

FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 10:43:02 AM

I have more mechanical/hardware knowledge than I do software knowledge.
I can do very little hard coding.
But i can build and solder just fine.

olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 10:48:01 AM

Thanks @op for bringing this up I am more in your situation because I have read but cant seem to understand the coding part. I would just hope someone with the requisite knowledge can explain in simple terms...
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 11:04:17 AM

Thanks @op for bringing this up I am more in your situation because I have read but cant seem to understand the coding part. I would just hope someone with the requisite knowledge can explain in simple terms...

Right!?

I'm starting to memorize the command line stuff, but I don't really understand the fundamentals yet so I don't really know what it is I'm typing in other than regurgitated commands that I can only sometimes remember.

Das

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 11:53:21 AM

Not to sell right away trying to instantly profit of my little machine (it's more long term holding)

Since you are considering a coin for long term holding, you might add monero to your list of possible coins to mine. It has some long term potential.
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2016, 11:57:15 AM

Not to sell right away trying to instantly profit of my little machine (it's more long term holding)

Since you are considering a coin for long term holding, you might add monero to your list of possible coins to mine. It has some long term potential.

Thanks! It's definitely on the list Smiley

fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 01:55:34 PM

Alright I'll help out...So easiest thing is go to whattomine.com and see what coins are profitable.  IF you want to speculate, you can mine the most profitable coin, then sell it and buy the one you want to speculate on.  better than simply mining it.

As for your rig, get 5 or 6 r9 470s/480s and flash the bios on them (get one with a dual bios switch if you are new to this).  there are threads here about that.  and you'll get 26-31mhs per card.  Thats what I would do with 2000$.  although this should cost you less.
kenhai

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2016, 08:29:53 PM

Is this a mining only machine? Will you be using it for other things? What do you currently pay for electricity?
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2016, 02:44:50 AM

Alright I'll help out...So easiest thing is go to whattomine.com and see what coins are profitable.  IF you want to speculate, you can mine the most profitable coin, then sell it and buy the one you want to speculate on.  better than simply mining it.

As for your rig, get 5 or 6 r9 470s/480s and flash the bios on them (get one with a dual bios switch if you are new to this).  there are threads here about that.  and you'll get 26-31mhs per card.  Thats what I would do with 2000$.  although this should cost you less.

awesome! That's a perfect start - will order these asap. What mother boards and cables would you recommend?

alright i
Is this a mining only machine? Will you be using it for other things? What do you currently pay for electricity?

Probably mining only, or crunching for other things (maybe in the future).
Electricity cost is negligible at the moment, as it is fixed in with the rent. There may be a cap that I pay a premium on once hit but haven't hit that cap yet.

fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 01:26:25 PM

you could consider a rig of 1070s also for example, they can mine other stuff if ethereum goes down.  works with claymores dual miner too.  find a motherboard that has 5 or 6 pcie slots, buy 1x to 16x latest generation risers (usb).  you'll need sapphire trixx for example to tweak your cards.  You'll need a gold or better psu, i recommend evga's g2 (example), small SSD (cheap) and an 8g of ram stick (cheap, some say you can get just 4g, but hey at the price ram is selling at...).  I have H97 anniversary, so far works good although I havent tried more than 4 cards yet.  Also if you run out of molex cables, you should get 16awg sata adapters or find more perif cables.  make sure they dont get too hot, these can be a point of failure. 
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 08:03:08 PM

Best I can recommend you is my standard configuration for each new miner I build, until I test a new one for the next rig I'll build :

-Intel Celeron G1820
-8 Go of RAM
-120 Go SSD
-Lepa MaxBron 1000W (that will be enough, since you won't put more than 4 GPUs with that price)
-ASRock H97 Anniversary
-Risers (that point don't matter that much, as long as they're powered)

To that, add as many 1070 as possible.

Then you have the master setup to mine absolutely all the coins Wink !
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2016, 02:40:14 AM

Best I can recommend you is my standard configuration for each new miner I build, until I test a new one for the next rig I'll build :

-Intel Celeron G1820
-8 Go of RAM
-120 Go SSD
-Lepa MaxBron 1000W (that will be enough, since you won't put more than 4 GPUs with that price)
-ASRock H97 Anniversary

I thought Intel was bad for mining?

calculatorduck

Activity: 93

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 02:46:23 AM

-Intel Celeron G1820
-8 Go of RAM
-120 Go SSD
-ASRock H97 Anniversary

You mine with the GPUs, not the CPU. You just need a good cheap processor and his suggestion fits the bill nicely.
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2016, 04:06:32 AM

-Intel Celeron G1820
-8 Go of RAM
-120 Go SSD
-ASRock H97 Anniversary

You mine with the GPUs, not the CPU. You just need a good cheap processor and his suggestion fits the bill nicely.

Awesome, thanks!

FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2016, 04:10:16 AM

-Intel Celeron G1820
-8 Go of RAM
-120 Go SSD
-ASRock H97 Anniversary

Would this be able to handle more than 4 GPUs if needed?

FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2016, 04:18:02 AM

So far it looks like fr4nkthetank and redrose are getting a reward Smiley
Not sure what's fair payment but just let me know and I'll send it your way!

Most likely going to order these parts off Newegg.
If there are any other suggestions I'd still be happy to hear them, and will still pay some type of compensation for the good ones

deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 12:10:23 PM

Considering your Budget of 2k, I would recommend the following :

Get the ASRock FM2A58+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157517
And couple it with 4gb ddr3, an AMD A4 APU and a cheap 120gb SSD
This combo should set you back by ~$120 and is the cheapest 5-GPU solution I know of

Add to the mix 5 X Sapphire 4gb Rx 470 OC at $200 each or less ( Get this specific version because they have back-plates and inexpensive/run cool).

You will need powered risers and a 750W PSU ( thats all the power you need for the RX 470 and a smaller wattage PSU is easier to sell off later ).
If you are able to find powered risers cheap, you can get them and the PSU for under $100 total.

Build a simple open air frame for the assembly, follow this guide here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfE_QidD75M

Install Windows 10 ( free if you dont activate it ) and follow one of the several guides posted on this portal, and you have yourself a functional ETH Miner.
I would recommend ETH because it has long term potential if you plan to hold it, and has been pretty profitable to mine for a while now.

That brings our total cost to about $1250. If you have the system optimized well (read through the forum posts, lots of details on optimizations, ping me if you cant find them), One such machine would consume about ~500W from the wall, and running 24/7 would generate about 24 ETH per month. At current rates of $11.7 that's about $280 per month (although this amount will reduce each month as network difficulty rises).
If you are up for it, you can stretch your budget a little and set up two of these.

Enjoy Mining. Also, per your offer of 5% of the mining reward for the first 50 days, that comes to about 40ETH. Shall I ping you my Wallet Address? Tongue

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
FreshFund (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2016, 10:29:52 PM

Considering your Budget of 2k, I would recommend the following :

Get the ASRock FM2A58+ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157517
And couple it with 4gb ddr3, an AMD A4 APU and a cheap 120gb SSD
This combo should set you back by ~$120 and is the cheapest 5-GPU solution I know of

Add to the mix 5 X Sapphire 4gb Rx 470 OC at $200 each or less ( Get this specific version because they have back-plates and inexpensive/run cool).

You will need powered risers and a 750W PSU ( thats all the power you need for the RX 470 and a smaller wattage PSU is easier to sell off later ).
If you are able to find powered risers cheap, you can get them and the PSU for under $100 total.

Build a simple open air frame for the assembly, follow this guide here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfE_QidD75M

Install Windows 10 ( free if you dont activate it ) and follow one of the several guides posted on this portal, and you have yourself a functional ETH Miner.
I would recommend ETH because it has long term potential if you plan to hold it, and has been pretty profitable to mine for a while now.

That brings our total cost to about $1250. If you have the system optimized well (read through the forum posts, lots of details on optimizations, ping me if you cant find them), One such machine would consume about ~500W from the wall, and running 24/7 would generate about 24 ETH per month. At current rates of $11.7 that's about $280 per month (although this amount will reduce each month as network difficulty rises).
If you are up for it, you can stretch your budget a little and set up two of these.

Enjoy Mining. Also, per your offer of 5% of the mining reward for the first 50 days, that comes to about 40ETH. Shall I ping you my Wallet Address? Tongue

This is sounding like a contender! Smiley

Is this machine designated for ETH or can it be used to mine any coin?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: