Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:28:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on the ASIC BF rigs  (Read 1597 times)
omgitsmehehe (OP)

Activity: 580
Merit: 108

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:29:35 AM

Hey peoples, I am a long time BTC investor and over the past week have been reading up about mining. To the best of my knowledge the best action to take from here is to buy an ASIC rig.

I have been checking out the ButterflyLabs 60 GH/s Single SC. I really just want to know what difficulty rate should we expect when ASIC rigs are released and will it be worthwhile? (worthwhile definition - Earning more than an basic minimum wage person)

Another thing I would like to know is are these things actually ever going to be released?! Since I've been reading I've found many people complaining saying they were supposed to be out in Mar 13 etc...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:38:47 AM

Hey peoples, I am a long time BTC investor and over the past week have been reading up about mining. To the best of my knowledge the best action to take from here is to buy an ASIC rig.

I have been checking out the ButterflyLabs 60 GH/s Single SC. I really just want to know what difficulty rate should we expect when ASIC rigs are released and will it be worthwhile? (worthwhile definition - Earning more than an basic minimum wage person)

Another thing I would like to know is are these things actually ever going to be released?! Since I've been reading I've found many people complaining saying they were supposed to be out in Mar 13 etc...

Release in March? Original shipping date was late October 2012...

Difficulty on release depends of course on the release date, which is who knows when so this cannot be calculated.

Never count on mining for income as it quickly diminishes as hashing capacity grows to match the price of electricity.
omgitsmehehe (OP)

Activity: 580
Merit: 108

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:49:23 AM

Release in March? Original shipping date was late October 2012...

Difficulty on release depends of course on the release date, which is who knows when so this cannot be calculated.

Never count on mining for income as it quickly diminishes as hashing capacity grows to match the price of electricity.

May I ask, who/why/what changes the difficulty?

Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 01:59:48 AM

Difficulty is based on the amount of time it takes to solve the next 2016 blocks (ideal target time of 2 weeks) but since there are many new ASIC systems from Avalon and ASICminer, difficulty is rising sharply.
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 03:39:34 AM

It depends on how much $1300 means to you, how much being part of the mining community which protects the coins means, etc.

A lot of people who tried to buy BFL ASIC early on will probably NEVER recoup their investment vs if they had just bought or held BTC.

If its just a financial decision, your best bet is again to buy and hold. You could recoup your investment and/or profit by mining, but its unlikely in my opinion to make you more money in the next 18-24 months than buying and holding.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:26:47 PM

I just pre-ordered a BFL 60 and expect to get it MAYBE sometime early autumn. I also expect difficulty to be waaaaaay up there. Thing I'm betting on is 3-fold... 1) there will be people who give up on mining, which = less competition for solving the blocks, which counters the difficulty factor a little. 2) I'm hoping this BTC bubble (sorry guys, but thats most likely what it is) is a nice long bubble, so I can mine BTC slowly, but also very very profitably as the price continues to soar. Remember...the dot-com bubble went on for years, same with the housing bubble. hopefully we will see BTC reach four digits before it all crashes down, in which case I will have to mine about ONE BTC to make my money back. and 3) I'm in it for the long haul, I feel over time I will re-coup my investment, but mostly I am intrigued to be part of the whole system.
I could be dead wrong and lose my 1200$ but Ive already made a LOT more than that just on the accumulated value of my present BTC holdings so I'm happy to take the risk.
Somebody's got to work those mines, baby... the miners holding a working ASIC will be the only ones to actually be mining at all once these things infiltrate the user-base.
middlemarkal

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:58:31 PM

lucky you , the price of BFL asic's just double

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:44:53 PM

You mean you people still think BFL is going to ship something someday? Oh please...  Roll Eyes

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: