Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:12:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Micro-transactions unfeasible due to rising BTC value and competitive tx fees?  (Read 720 times)
simondlr (OP)

Activity: 424
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:03:05 AM

Hi. I'm still a newbie on the forums, although I've been following Bitcoin since early 2011. Can only post here unfortunately.

I'm in the process of developing a Bitcoin side-project. We will mostly deal with transactions around $1 - $100. We take a cut of each transaction. The problem: with low value transactions (say $1), the cut we take doesn't even cover the cost of the 'minimun' transaction fee, which is 0.0005 BTC. This isn't of course, the "actual" minimum, but to stay competitive that's the least we should pay. We don't want users to wait for payouts due to us spending little transaction fees (and not getting included in blocks).

This will only get worse. If Bitcoin's value is going to rise even more, it will become even more unfeasible. Also, transaction fees will also become more competitive, especially if you try and stay ahead of the market and get faster transactions. Current 'dust' transactions of < 0.01 BTC is already worth something.

A solution would be to simply take a higher cut. But, we want to make this work as not only a great Bitcoin service, but also to compete against USD equivalent services. We should charge less than they are.

How is this going to be solved?

Tip: BTC 1LbHAZv2mbZZMTu2k4xLcg8p5q4FatgkA7. Doge DFVzezccAsdq1LQwrPTDe1nMXKrL7aEUWY. FUNK: CXfgJPSbY1C5paVwiSHnm942tJPyK9xSfy
The Cypherfunks: a decentralized band & cryptocurrency. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=469407.0

Bitrated: https://www.bitrated.com/simondlr/
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:40:56 PM

Can only post here unfortunately.

Incidentally, the question on Reddit got a decent response: