Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 05:30:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 mining questions  (Read 939 times)
Jacob_ (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:37:15 AM

Is it harmful to a GPU to push it to its limits for hours at a time?

Also I've heard that the cost of electricity can make mining unprofitable if you don't get a good hash rate (I have an Nvidia card so I get about 15 hash/s), but I usually leave my computer on all the time anyway. Is there a big difference in power consumption when mining versus not mining, or playing a 3D video game?

Thanks.
Trypa

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 12:40:34 AM

1) only without proper cooling. it could diminish the lifespan but you would probably replace your card before this would do any serious damage.

2) yes by far
stordoff

Activity: 41

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 01:37:30 AM

Is it harmful to a GPU to push it to its limits for hours at a time?

Strictly speaking, it will reduce the lifespan of the card, but of the ~10 I've ever had, I've only ever had one die before I considered obsolete anyway, and that one was both over-clocked and over-volted significantly.

Is there a big difference in power consumption when mining versus not mining, or playing a 3D video game?

Mining vs. Idling - Huge difference. Assuming you have a 9600GT or a 8800GT (about the performance level you are getting), you are looking at around 80-100watts extra power consumption.

Mining vs. 3D gaming - I suspect that it will be more to mine than game, as mining will keep the card at 100% load whereas gaming will fluctuate. I don't expect this to be a large difference though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: