Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:45:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Production stops 2017  (Read 2131 times)
OMGBobMarley (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:00:05 PM

If mining is essentially hosting a ledger and supporting the transfers of bitcoin, how will bitcoin survive past 2017 when they say they will stop producing at 21 million? If the miners are not being rewarded with bitcoin they will stop hosting the ledger and bitcoin transactions will end.

What am I missing?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, maybe off topic?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:11:21 PM

If mining is essentially hosting a ledger and supporting the transfers of bitcoin, how will bitcoin survive past 2017 when they say they will stop producing at 21 million? If the miners are not being rewarded with bitcoin they will stop hosting the ledger and bitcoin transactions will end.

What am I missing?

2017 only marks the next reward split, from 25 coins per block down to 12.5...which will give us another 4 years before the next split to 6.25..and so on. We'll technically never reach the exact 21 million, and there will be a point when solving blocks doesn't generate any reward at all.

Instead, the reward would be the transaction fees..which I imagine will go up once the normal block rewards prove to be less fruitful.

OMGBobMarley (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:15:31 PM

What am I missing?

2017 only marks the next reward split, from 25 coins per block down to 12.5...which will give us another 4 years before the next split to 6.25..and so on. We'll technically never reach the exact 21 million, and there will be a point when solving blocks doesn't generate any reward at all.

Instead, the reward would be the transaction fees..which I imagine will go up once the normal block rewards prove to be less fruitful.

Transaction fees, that is what I was missing. Makes sense now.
induktor

Activity: 710
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:26:35 PM

Hi
Sorry I hijack this thread but i was wondering.
today transaction fees are very very low, to the point it makes no sense to mine only for this, how will this change to make it profitable, or at least, sustainable for miners?

any idea?
thank you

BTC addr: 1vTGnFgaM2WJjswwmbj6N2AQBWcHfimSc
tiptopgemdotcom
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1000

Truly decentralized stable asset

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:01:06 PM

Hi
Sorry I hijack this thread but i was wondering.
today transaction fees are very very low, to the point it makes no sense to mine only for this, how will this change to make it profitable, or at least, sustainable for miners?

any idea?
thank you

Yeah, tell us.

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
     ▀▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▄
  ▄  ▄▀▀           ▀▀  ▀▄
 ▄▀ █      ▐█ █▌      █ ▀▄
▄█ █     ▄███████▄     █ █▄
█ ▄▀    ██▀▐█ █▌▀██     █ █
█ █     ██ ▐█ █▌ ██     █ █
█ ▀▄    ██▄▐█ █▌███    ▄▀ █
▀█ █     ▀████████▄    █ █▀
 ▀▄ ▀      ▐█ █▌ ▀█▌  █ ▄▀
  ▀▄  ▀▄           ▄▄▀  ▀
    ▀▄▄ ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀ ▄▄
       ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
      █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
▄▄▄▀▀▀█   ▄▄▄▄▄▄   █
█     █ ▄▀      ▀▄ █
 █  ▄██ █        █ █
 █  █ █ █        ▀ █
  █ █ █ █ ▄█▄█▄  ▀ █
  █  ██ █  █▄▄█▄ █ █
   █ ██ ▄ ▄█▄▄▄█ █ █
   █  █ ▄  ▀ ▀   █ █
    █ █ █        █ █
    █ █ ▀▄      ▄▀ █
     ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   █
      █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
.PLATINUM  STABLECOINS
..USDQ KRWQ CNYQ JPYQ...

─────────────────────────
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█              █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█     ████     █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
██████
██
██

██
██
██████
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   WHITEPAPER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
...FACEBOOK... .....TWITTER..... ...TELEGRAM...
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN THREAD   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:56:31 PM

Miners can reject any tx they want to.

--> Miners will just reject every tx beneath a certain fee threshold, forcing you to pay for faster confirmations.

Already there are blocks with 25+ BTC in fees though, if traffic is large enough it's not a big deal.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: