Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:48:01 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest Electric Rates Anywhere... .5 BTC BOUNTY  (Read 2714 times)
mantis_tobbogan (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:29:12 PM

I'm looking into setting up a GPU farm. Please hold off on the criticism and death threats, I've already made up my mind. My only obstacle is finding a place with very cheap electric rates as I will be pulling some serious wattage, think upwards of 1000 kwh / day. I've heard of electric rates being as low at $.0065 near hydro electric dams, however I can't find much online. If anyone points me in the direction to find such cheap electric rates at a reasonable locale I will give them a bounty of .5 BTC, but any other help is encouraged as well Smiley
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:31:06 PM

I'm looking into setting up a GPU farm. Please hold off on the criticism and death threats, I've already made up my mind. My only obstacle is finding a place with very cheap electric rates as I will be pulling some serious wattage, think upwards of 1000 kwh / day. I've heard of electric rates being as low at $.0065 near hydro electric dams, however I can't find much online. If anyone points me in the direction to find such cheap electric rates at a reasonable locale I will give them a bounty of .5 BTC, but any other help is encouraged as well Smiley

In MN you have two advantages. 0.05 Kwh and half the year is cold enough to keep the GPUs cool
I'm sure there are cheaper places, but 0.05 it's not bad!

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:32:59 PM

Move to an all bills paid apartment, install racks/gpus, profit!

deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:44:41 PM

Move to an all bills paid apartment, install racks/gpus, profit!
I believe you're thinking small here....
Notice he said "bitcoin farm". If you move to an all paid apartment, it wouldn't be long until the landlords realize you're spending $2000 dollars a month in electricity and evict your ass out of there. (there are always ways for that no matter how pretty your lease contract looks like)

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:09:40 PM

I don't get, why can't you rent an apartment with electricity included and mine the shit out of it.
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:29:57 PM

I don't get, why can't you rent an apartment with electricity included and mine the shit out of it.
SOMEONE is paying that bill dude... the landlords forecast a "normal" use of electric power. If I mine with one or two rigs it shouldn't be a big deal, if I make a datacencer out my apartment and I fill it up with rigs and I spent an insane amount of power, they will notice. Again, the OP stated he wants a mining farm. By that I understand a considerable amount of mining rigs. He's looking for geographical places so I don't think he's intending to just mine with 4 or 5 rigs only.
I could be wrong, but I hope you understand my point. I think you are thinking in small terms.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
mhill12

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:44:26 PM

Niagara Falls, NY has power as low as $0.0314/kWh, according to https://www.viridian.com

For reference, I used a zip code of 14301.

National grid may be lower, as it appears viridian specializes in green power (which tends to be more expensive).
Twerka

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:53:08 PM

In Buenos Aires it's 0,07 dollar kWh, but the goverment helps to pay for it (to everybody) and the final price is: 0,0088 kWh.
Anyway, I'm sure you are not coming to BsAs  Smiley

The worst enemy of Bitcoin is Mt.Gox exchange.
xchrix

Activity: 905
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 05:57:29 PM

how can be electrical power so much cheap??? in europe you pay like 0,25 eur / kWh  Angry
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 06:03:52 PM

In Buenos Aires it's 0,07 dollar kWh, but the goverment helps to pay for it (to everybody) and the final price is: 0,0088 kWh.
Anyway, I'm sure you are not coming to BsAs  Smiley

Then again, you need to buy the GPUs overseas and entering them to Argentina... good luck!
And then make sure you don't get robbed, kidnapped, assaulted, or the government decides to pull some trick to prevent computers to connect to the bitcoin network (unlikely) but with that president, you never know...!

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 06:04:53 PM

Don't bother looking in England or the UK in general, it's expensive as hell here.
I'm know you didn't ask for that, but you can tick it off your list.

You are right, places near hydro dams do get really cheap electricity, sadly the only friend who could help with quotes in that example, lives in Las vegas and building a mining farm there would be silly. Far too hot, so you'd just end up spending more money on cooling.

I have heard very good rates in a few select places in Europe, Norway especially, it's so cold so they don't really have to worry about cooling and they have hydro dams up there. Could ask a contact out there if you really interested. Only problem is I'm not very fluent in the language.

deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 06:09:39 PM

In MN you have two advantages. 0.05 Kwh and half the year is cold enough to keep the GPUs cool

BTW, at these prices, I'm paying $60 per month on 4 Ghash/s
So GPU is VERY profitable if you own the equipment already
฿9.13/Month or $819.24 at current prices/difficulty

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
mhill12

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 06:26:41 PM

BTW, at these prices, I'm paying $60 per month on 4 Ghash/s
So GPU is VERY profitable if you own the equipment already
฿9.13/Month or $819.24 at current prices/difficulty
I currently mine my 1 GPU unit from the luxury of an apartment with included power, but Niagara Falls/Buffalo is getting that hydroelectric power that you are looking for. I don't think that there is anything wrong with 3.14 cents/kWh.
mantis_tobbogan (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:21:17 PM

deatcode has got the idea. I know that an 'all inclusive utilities' fee will not cover the amount of power I am requiring, I'm going to have to pay for it some how. Also, there is an issue of getting that much power in the first place, as it will have to be a specialized circuit. I can't just plug these into the walls of any old place and run them. I'm looking into renting a space in a data center. As far as the .0065 figure, it was something I head once in a conversation, so it might not be realistic. Running the numbers I am comfortable paying .05, though less is always more. I couldn't just rent some place near Niagra, it would have to be able to provide me with the massive amount of wattage I need, but I will look into the location at .03~ sounds very, very appealing.

The .5 BTC bounty stands to anyone who points me in the cheapest direction and I happen to follow through with it. My plan should flesh-out in the next few weeks and once I sign the lease I will be sure to reward you.

Don't bother looking in England or the UK in general, it's expensive as hell here.
I'm know you didn't ask for that, but you can tick it off your list.

You are right, places near hydro dams do get really cheap electricity, sadly the only friend who could help with quotes in that example, lives in Las vegas and building a mining farm there would be silly. Far too hot, so you'd just end up spending more money on cooling.

I have heard very good rates in a few select places in Europe, Norway especially, it's so cold so they don't really have to worry about cooling and they have hydro dams up there. Could ask a contact out there if you really interested. Only problem is I'm not very fluent in the language.

Yes, I am very willing to explore all options (though I will let Argentina slide this time  Grin) and would be grateful if you would follow through and get me in touch with your contacts.
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

deatcode has got the idea. I know that an 'all inclusive utilities' fee will not cover the amount of power I am requiring, I'm going to have to pay for it some how. Also, there is an issue of getting that much power in the first place, as it will have to be a specialized circuit. I can't just plug these into the walls of any old place and run them. I'm looking into renting a space in a data center. As far as the .0065 figure, it was something I head once in a conversation, so it might not be realistic. Running the numbers I am comfortable paying .05, though less is always more. I couldn't just rent some place near Niagra, it would have to be able to provide me with the massive amount of wattage I need, but I will look into the location at .03~ sounds very, very appealing.

The .5 BTC bounty stands to anyone who points me in the cheapest direction and I happen to follow through with it. My plan should flesh-out in the next few weeks and once I sign the lease I will be sure to reward you.

Keep in mind the rates I gave you for MN are residential.
You might be looking at business rates if you consume more than a certain amount of energy.
As far as renting rack space in a datacenter. Datacenters are very reluctant to allow BTC miners due to the amount of power they drain and I can assure you they will ask what are you co-locating in their racks as they forecast power consumption per sq/ft and other analytics.
So keep those two things in mind.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
mantis_tobbogan (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:56:29 PM

Keep in mind the rates I gave you for MN are residential.
You might be looking at business rates if you consume more than a certain amount of energy.
As far as renting rack space in a datacenter. Datacenters are very reluctant to allow BTC miners due to the amount of power they drain and I can assure you they will ask what are you co-locating in their racks as they forecast power consumption per sq/ft and other analytics.
So keep those two things in mind.

Interesting. I've started reaching out to data centers but I'm not sure how I'm going to explain what I'm doing... protein folding  Huh? But I will be very up front with the amount of electricity I am going to consume. I haven't got any numbers from them yet but it i definitely an avenue I am interested in exploring as they will be able to house and provide electricity for my farm, provided they are willing to do so and the $/kwh works out. One center I'm looking at also has 'white space' available, which is empty floor space where I set up the farm myself without their racks.
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:03:13 PM

Set it up in Venezuela. Electricity isn't necessarily cheap, but gas is almost nothing. You'd need a pretty large generator, but I think I paid $0.25 USD for a 10 gallon tank of gas in 2010, and it's cheaper now than it was then.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
mantis_tobbogan (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:28:04 PM

Set it up in Venezuela. Electricity isn't necessarily cheap, but gas is almost nothing. You'd need a pretty large generator, but I think I paid $0.25 USD for a 10 gallon tank of gas in 2010, and it's cheaper now than it was then.

I'm getting investors in on this. I have a hard enough time relating the concept to them, and taking their capital to Venezuela would call for an incredibly sly pitch on my part. And keep in mind most Americans don't like Venezuela (save, of course, when they pull into a Valero to fill up). But it is definitely interesting and I'd like to see the math on that. I'm not sure how fast an industrial generator would go through 1 gallon of gas.
deathcode
Copper Member

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:34:04 PM

I'm getting investors in on this. I have a hard enough time relating the concept to them, and taking their capital to Venezuela would call for an incredibly sly pitch on my part. And keep in mind most Americans don't like Venezuela (save, of course, when they pull into a Valero to fill up). But it is definitely interesting and I'd like to see the math on that. I'm not sure how fast an industrial generator would go through 1 gallon of gas.
It would be a logistics nightmare plus not to mentions you'll have to export the technology to Venezuela because I'm sure GPUs are way more expensive there... to start...how many GPUs / GHash are we talking about here?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it

▬▬▬▬▬
mantis_tobbogan (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:44:00 PM

It would be a logistics nightmare plus not to mentions you'll have to export the technology to Venezuela because I'm sure GPUs are way more expensive there... to start...how many GPUs / GHash are we talking about here?

My minimum setup is 30 rigs of 4x7950 each. As the marginal cost for each additional rig is $0 (just a linear increase of electricity), I hope to have many, many more. I'll probably create a thread about my plan after I vet it out with some business dudes in the next week or so and get rid of my noob-status.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: