Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 03:23:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New setup for playing around with litecoin. Would love some advice!  (Read 609 times)
zerobotman (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 04:41:57 PM

Hey guys! I'm new to bitcoin and litecoin and I was wondering If I could get some help. First off I want to say that my goal is not to turn a profit and i'm really just using coins as a kind of "goal" while learning a bunch of computer stuff like SSH, linux bash and some other computer stuff. At my disposal are 4 broken dual core laptops (mostly screens and missing HDDs, keyboards ect) as well as a pile of P4 desktops, most of which have no dedicated graphics cards so it's mostly going to be an experiment using CPU mining. I originally started by trying to CPU mine bitcoins on slush pool but after an hour all of my miners would get a score of 0 and I would have no potential to get a reward. I used this guide to set up CPUminer on a few comps

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=82821.0

I later learned about litecoin and how it's more CPU friendly. The thing is that the only software that I can find for it is windows based (I'm running Xubuntu. I'm not paying for any software or hardware) and assuming I can find a wallet for linux, I'd much rather have one wallet on my laptop and a bunch of terminal based mining programs so that I can just use SSH to communicate. I also have a bunch of other questions which i'll post all together below. I assure you all I HAVE googled lots! If you guys know links to guides that answer any of these feel free to share!

1. Is there a CPU mining software for litecoin that can run in terminal in linux?
2. Is there an SSH client program that can run in command prompt in windows so that I can write a batch script to automatically start SSH, Log on to all my miners and tell them to mine?
3. I have a bunch of computers without hard drives, Is there software to let me boot them from lan using an Xubuntu box as a host? I don't know allot about network boot but allot of it seems to be windows with ubuntu or vice versa.
4. Is there any way to exit the xfce desktop to conserve cpu resources especially since everything is running in SSH?
5. Is there any way to run some sort of FTP program through the console so I can install software on headless computers?

thanks yalls!
zerobotman (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:53:28 AM

bump?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4424
Merit: 3325

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:59:08 AM

try the forums at http://forum.litecoin.net/

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
rhombus_77

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:33:24 AM

CPUminer is run from the terminal.  Can't help you out with the others though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: