Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:14:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk downtime, or just me? Edit: DDoS attack confirmed as per Theymos  (Read 4371 times)
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2016, 10:11:01 PM

The ddos is still active or what? I couldn't browse the forums in the last 30 minutes without having a connection problem, don't know if this issue happens only now or it is persistant..
Theymos please fix it  Sad

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2016, 10:29:30 PM

I guess they're going to do it every day at around this time until I figure out how to stop them... I've made some progress on that front, but it's not done yet.

If anyone is an actual expert in Linux networking (ie. the term "GRE tunnel" is familiar to you), I could use your help in figuring some of this stuff out.
Instead of Cloudflare use an DDoS protected Reverse Proxy IP. The Cloudflare Free Plan is not helping at all, to stop an big attack.

Edit: It seems you switched to Cloudflare and forgot to add SPF Records which fail to deliver mails to most known email provider. However, I do not receive notifications of Bitcointalk.
What are you talking about? Bitcointalk doesn't use Cloudflare.

The ddos is still active or what? I couldn't browse the forums in the last 30 minutes without having a connection problem, don't know if this issue happens only now or it is persistant..
You can't stop a DDoS attack, you can only attempt to mitigate the effects of the attack. Theymos is still trying to figure out a way to mitigate the effects, but clearly networking isn't his expertise.

awesome31312 (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 10:47:38 PM

I hate to be that post but, yeah, I agree, please fix it. I really really am addicted to this forum, say what you want, but just like people have their Netflix, television, etc, I have Bitcointalk, and without it I really don't have a hobby anymore Sad

I hope you fix it soon. I know you're trying your best.

Isn't it possible to change servers?

Account recovered 08-12-2019
Swagtoshi

Activity: 261
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 10:50:04 PM

Theymos please fix it  Sad

I hate to be that post but, yeah, I agree, please fix it. I really really am addicted to this forum, say what you want, but just like people have their Netflix, television, etc, I have Bitcointalk, and without it I really don't have a hobby anymore Sad

I hope you fix it soon. I know you're trying your best.

Isn't it possible to change servers?
If you change servers, the person who is ddosing will simply redirect their computers toward the new server. Plus, it takes a while to point nameservers.
btvGainer
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2016, 10:57:37 PM

I had similar experience two days back also and now today again wasn't able to visit forum as it was unavailable.
Yes it should be fixed now.Is Theymos aware of this problem?
awesome31312 (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 11:26:51 PM

I had similar experience two days back also and now today again wasn't able to visit forum as it was unavailable.
Yes it should be fixed now.Is Theymos aware of this problem?

Yes, please read the thread before commenting. The notice has been posted in "News" below your Total time logged in, he has also stated here that he is working on figuring out a way to mitigate the attack, and we can expect more periodic downtime

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 06:04:53 AM

Can't afford a cloudfare ddos protection [...]?
I think it might be time to reconsider using cloudflare or similar service.

In the past, one of the main reasons why it was said cloudflare will not be used is that theymos would need to give up effective control over the HTTPS keys to google in order to use cloudflare.

However with the claim that bitcointalk.org (and bitoin.org) might be the subject of state-sponsored hacking attempts (and that such state-sponsored hackers might be able to compromise and/or impersonate the HTTPS keys).

The argument behind theymos maintaining exclusive control over the HTTPS keys is that he would be able to (and be expected to) push back against legal processes demanding access to information that would be accessible with the HTTPS keys. However, IMO google would likely be better equipped to counter state-sponsored hacking attempts, and would have greater resources to do so. Giving google effective access to the HTTPS keys would not make users defenseless against illegitimate requests for information accessible with HTTPS keys because, at the very least there will be some level of judicial oversight over legal processes requesting information, and even when this is insufficient, theymos would likely still be able to fight these kinds of requests to some extent. 
awesome31312 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:12:18 AM

I think we are no longer being attacked. Why do the news still speculate there may be periodic downtime?

Atomicat
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:20:24 AM

I think we are no longer being attacked. Why do the news still speculate there may be periodic downtime?
Maybe theymos forget to remove it from the News section.

IIRC, I saw that message a few times too.

EDIT: I saw the message again and got a chance to copy it. ;p
"Due to DDoS attacks, there may be periodic downtime."
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:45:10 PM

Maybe theymos forget to remove it from the News section.

IIRC, I saw that message a few times too.

EDIT: I saw the message again and got a chance to copy it. ;p
"Due to DDoS attacks, there may be periodic downtime."

You never know when the forum will be attacked again, so I guess it is stickied while there is no other news to show
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 04:38:28 AM

<just sharin' what I've learnt today is all>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack#DDoS_extortion

In 2015, DDoS botnets such as DD4BC grew in prominence, taking aim at financial institutions. Cyber-extortionists typically begin with a low-level attack and a warning that a larger attack will be carried out if a ransom is not paid in Bitcoin. Security experts recommend targeted websites to not pay the ransom. The attackers tend to get into an extended extortion scheme once they recognize that the target is ready to pay.

Solon, Olivia (9 September 2015). "Cyber-Extortionists Targeting the Financial Sector Are Demanding Bitcoin Ransoms". Bloomberg. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
awesome31312 (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 06:32:00 AM

<just sharin' what I've learnt today is all>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack#DDoS_extortion

In 2015, DDoS botnets such as DD4BC grew in prominence, taking aim at financial institutions. Cyber-extortionists typically begin with a low-level attack and a warning that a larger attack will be carried out if a ransom is not paid in Bitcoin. Security experts recommend targeted websites to not pay the ransom. The attackers tend to get into an extended extortion scheme once they recognize that the target is ready to pay.

Solon, Olivia (9 September 2015). "Cyber-Extortionists Targeting the Financial Sector Are Demanding Bitcoin Ransoms". Bloomberg. Retrieved 15 September 2015.

Wow, thank you so much for sharing, this could explain why so many websites are going through DDoS attacks right now!

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: