Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:05:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Freeware with BTC Address  (Read 588 times)
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:19:08 PM

I've been thinking; if I were to release a novel without charge, I figured I would be able to leave a Bitcoin address near the beginning and at the end, so if someone really liked it, they could send me a bit of cash to show appreciation.  And if they didn't, it wouldn't be a big deal; I personally hate DRM, and don't want to bother with it.  I thought this might be a nice way to handle the problem, but something's bugging me.

Let's say someone else finds this novel, edits the pages with the BTC address to their own, and then re-uploads it.  Now that person can take whatever proceeds without the reader being any wiser.  So how might I include an address while eliminating this risk?  I think PDFs have some kind of protection to them...but I don't know.  I'm thinking I might have to include a website that leads to a page with a BTC address, but then again, the website could also be edited to another.  Any ideas?

TeslaUa

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 11:02:32 PM

You could time-stamp the binding of your creation's hash and bitcoin address. Namecoin, the Bitcoin spin-off provides just that. However it does not stop the impostor from registering altered versions. And so it turns back to popularity competition between the original creation and it's variants.
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:18:56 AM

You could time-stamp the binding of your creation's hash and bitcoin address. Namecoin, the Bitcoin spin-off provides just that. However it does not stop the impostor from registering altered versions. And so it turns back to popularity competition between the original creation and it's variants.

I'll check out NameCoin and see if it can't solve my problem, but, I suppose I'll just have to rely on the good will of the community to not alter the address.  Or seek another way to do it...  I mean, couldn't anyone stamp anything with a BTC address and claim they created it?  Heck, they could probably alter the email address, or just throw one in.  Doesn't seem like there's any way around it, now that I think about it.

TeslaUa

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:04:36 AM

Indeed. It look like there is no way to restrict anyone's information processing without trusted computing or rather "treacherous computing" as Richard Stallman call it.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:47:55 PM

Makesure its some kind of VERY EASY button to donate. rather than just leaving an address

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
lakeluke

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

Adobe PDF can be protected from printing and changes, but there are easily obtainable sw available to break this protection and allow others to amend your file.

One way you can consider is having a QR code on the pdf pages, linking back to a website for the book, and there will be another QR code there for the donation.
Mike Christ (OP)
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:13:26 PM

Makesure its some kind of VERY EASY button to donate. rather than just leaving an address
Adobe PDF can be protected from printing and changes, but there are easily obtainable sw available to break this protection and allow others to amend your file.

One way you can consider is having a QR code on the pdf pages, linking back to a website for the book, and there will be another QR code there for the donation.

I forgot about the QR code; I'll look into fixing one of those into it.  That way someone won't have to type the whole code in.  But someone could potentially change the QR code to lead to yet another website Shocked  There's no escaping it!  I could try a vanity address, to make it more obvious that it was going to me...hrmm.  There's also a website that hosts e-books, and I'm pretty sure they have a "pay what you want" type thing, but it's slightly different than what I'm looking for, as I would prefer people to pay only after they saw it was a decent novel.  The "pay what you want" still assumes the reader doesn't know what they're getting into, and it's a total gamble.  That is, I could include some examples of the work, perhaps the first few chapters, but I'm not so sure...

Indeed. It look like there is no way to restrict anyone's information processing without trusted computing or rather "treacherous computing" as Richard Stallman call it.

Good point, and I too am against such measures.  That's the curse of anti-DRM, I suppose--or the blessing.  I'll just have to trust that nobody would sink so low.  I'll go ahead and release it once it's ready, to you guys and to wherever else, and if it does get modified at some point in time, I'll figure it out from there.  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: