Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 11:32:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power efficiency in altcoin hashing  (Read 277 times)
InSilva (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 01:24:12 PM

I'd like to brainstorm ways of making hashing a more power efficient process. I realize superior cooling helps reduce power consumption on mining rigs, but is there any way to hard code power efficiency into an altcoin? I know the type of cryptology employed in the altcoin makes a big difference, but is there a way to make GPU processing operate at a percentage of its full capacity or will altcoin miners always operate at 100% speed?

My thought was that if you could peg all GPUs mining a specific altcoin at 10% of reference clock speed or at a preset speed that this would cause people to invest in cheaper, simpler and more power efficient GPU rigs since the added benefit of using more expensive GPUs moot. There are probably hardware modding ways to get around this though.

Does anybody have additional thoughts about how to enforce more power efficient mining across new altcoin?
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
September 06, 2016, 02:02:39 PM

If a card is not mining at 100% GPU usage then the miner for that hashing algo is not optimized - simple as that.

And if you magically managed for a hashing algo to only use 10% of a GPU then people would dual mine something else with the remaining 90% to maximize profits.
But of course, there's no way to enforce a 10% GPU usage long term.

Dualmining already exists with Ethereum which mostly relies on memory intensive tasks mixed with Sia or Lbry which require calculations and not memory so they basically mostly use different parts of the GPU.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: