Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:20:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Next pool to hate...  (Read 9324 times)
LudwigDG

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 08:09:29 PM

Like I just did today. Went to BTCMine.

I'm still trying to get all my money away from deepbit but it is having issues.

Is it normal that when I see a payment in my wallet that still needs confirmation but when I go to blockexplorer that it is not listed?
Is this the way it works or is there a big problem with deepbit?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
supa
Copper Member

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:25:59 PM

Youtube videos are a factor of judgment for pools?

What are you guys - Apple fanboys?  Grin

You have to be literally retarded (no offense to people that are actually retarded - although I don't think they would try to make an argument against this statement) to not be able to set yourself up on St. Eligius.

1) Copy and paste miner line from their website somewhere
2) Open Client
3) Copy Payment Address
4) Replace the username part in the miner command with your payment address
5) Run miner with your address in there
6) Go piss off

Shortest youtube video ever.

No email activation nonsense.  No email required.  No passwords.  No locking yourself out.  No losing logon information and having someone empty your wallet.  No weird fees.

relmeas

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:03:43 PM

obviously eligius does not want any miners since he bans whole countries. that pool unfortunately is not going anywhere with that kinds of attitudes of the owners.

as of the other pools, well deepbit seems best to me because of very stable reward - you don't get 4 hour blocks that ruin the day ..

I also mined at slush but I hate the payout method, you have to wait several hours to get BTC out. Also the way he calculates reward is very questionable...

for now I am sticking with btcguild (as backup) and deepbit. because they have instant payout options and simple reward calculation.
supa
Copper Member

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:07:25 PM

Wow, what are you... 5?

Welcome to the internets.

It's very very VERY VERY common practice to ban whole ranges of IPs (even whole countries) from your "average" web server.  You get nothing but garbage scans, weird form submissions and crawls from bots in whole IP blocks.  If you've ever actually operated a web server.... you would probably know this....

While it's certainly one of those "make it more difficult for the good guys to get through" scenarios.... it's nearly common practice now.

I don't think Luke-Jr has a tiny moustache if that's what you're trying to imply.
ItsASpork

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:47:43 AM

What the hell happened here?

Feeling Generous? 16Zo6werKP4akoTfHc9P5XXBGS2jFqeuSt
Support the Bitcoin Faucet
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:06:41 AM

What the hell happened here?
one (or more) of the pool stats pages is down, but they're still putting out blocks.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
relmeas

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:28:56 AM

Wow, what are you... 5?

Welcome to the internets.

It's very very VERY VERY common practice to ban whole ranges of IPs (even whole countries) from your "average" web server.  You get nothing but garbage scans, weird form submissions and crawls from bots in whole IP blocks.  If you've ever actually operated a web server.... you would probably know this....

While it's certainly one of those "make it more difficult for the good guys to get through" scenarios.... it's nearly common practice now.

I don't think Luke-Jr has a tiny moustache if that's what you're trying to imply.

well idk, every other pool I tried works for me, so something must be wrong with that particular pool.

and no, i am not from China (is it even legal or possible to mine in there?).

Also I am sure there are LOTS of miners in my country so this could be the reason it grows so slowly.
supa
Copper Member

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:18:27 AM

What country?
PabloW

Activity: 228
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 02:13:49 PM

Look at this lol

LudwigDG

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:32:41 PM

Youtube videos are a factor of judgment for pools?

What are you guys - Apple fanboys?  Grin

You have to be literally retarded (no offense to people that are actually retarded - although I don't think they would try to make an argument against this statement) to not be able to set yourself up on St. Eligius.

Well thank you for clearing that up yet, yes. If you don't know how things work youtube video's are the best way to go.
The newest generation of students are from the video age. We don't like to read, we want to watch. The image is stronger than the speaker, is stronger than the text.

Just is case you never had marketing.

No offence meant.

But most people don't know how computers work, they just want it to work.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:39:46 PM

I'm surprised people are still sticking with deepbit when it has such a high fee. Is there something about it I'm missing?

Tell me of another pool with high hash rate (= low variance), pay-per-share, instant payout (no 120 blocks to confirm b.s.), long polling

I gladly pay 7% for that. In fact my earnings on DB are consistently higher than on slush despite the 5% difference in fees.

& I don't have to wait 16-24+ hours for "confirmed".

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
genewitch

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:40:46 AM

Tell me of another pool with high hash rate (= low variance), pay-per-share, instant payout (no 120 blocks to confirm b.s.), long polling

I gladly pay 7% for that. In fact my earnings on DB are consistently higher than on slush despite the 5% difference in fees.

& I don't have to wait 16-24+ hours for "confirmed".

Does slush not have the "pay transaction fees" set on the server side? deepbit's payouts are fast because the fees you're paying are used to pay out transactions, just check out the speed of payout!

Anyhow i am using my own pool right now so i withdrew my deepbit BTC.
relmeas

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 06:19:12 AM
Last edit: June 15, 2011, 06:43:56 AM by relmeas

Deepbit is so popular because it has the killer feature no other top pool has - the PPS mode.

You see, with any pool you have to trust the owner. He has full control over the web site that displays block statistics and what your miner software is working on. So you have to trust that the website is accurate and you indeed receive the part of every block pool finds using your computational capacity.

With deepbit's PPS mode however, there is no trust involved - you can easily check how much shares you submit and how much payout you receive. Hence it's psychologically easier to trust in honesty of the proportional mode as well.

I think this is basically the main reason Deepbit is so popular - miners struck with unlucky sequence of days turn to the deepbit and use its PPS mode and from there they receive the same expected reward every day. Increased number of miners causes increased stability in block generation per day (except for the DDOS attack idle time) which keeps proportional mode users happy as well.

Other pools should implement similar feature if they really want to compete with deepbit.
PabloW

Activity: 228
Merit: 106

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:00:54 PM

Yes PPS is good because of the no-trust thing. But if you're a 24/7 miner I think proportional is the same, or even better.

Right now Bitcoins.lc has all the features deepbit has (and other more that are great) but it misses the PPS. As I dont use PPS, im gladly mining there, where I have 0% fees and my earnings are much bigger.
Its a no brainer for me at least. A pool that has fees, or a pool that doesnt. Why should I choose the one that has fees if Im earning less there?
darkskypoet

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 03:55:12 AM

Yes PPS is good because of the no-trust thing. But if you're a 24/7 miner I think proportional is the same, or even better.

Right now Bitcoins.lc has all the features deepbit has (and other more that are great) but it misses the PPS. As I dont use PPS, im gladly mining there, where I have 0% fees and my earnings are much bigger.
Its a no brainer for me at least. A pool that has fees, or a pool that doesnt. Why should I choose the one that has fees if Im earning less there?

Ditto.. I am there as well and the payouts with no fees are great. So far the earnings have been great.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:24:10 PM

BTC Guild feeds on your hatred.  If you hate us, I don't feel so bad taking out my rage and anger on you.  It's win win.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 09:35:15 PM

With deepbit's PPS mode however, there is no trust involved - you can easily check how much shares you submit and how much payout you receive. Hence it's psychologically easier to trust in honesty of the proportional mode as well.

I think this is basically the main reason Deepbit is so popular - miners struck with unlucky sequence of days turn to the deepbit and use its PPS mode and from there they receive the same expected reward every day. Increased number of miners causes increased stability in block generation per day (except for the DDOS attack idle time) which keeps proportional mode users happy as well.

Other pools should implement similar feature if they really want to compete with deepbit.
continuumpool.com offers pps at a lower fee that deepbit.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: