Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:02:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Rig - LTC - Seeking Input  (Read 1480 times)
robamichael (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 11:16:10 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 10:30:54 PM by robamichael

Hello Fellow Visionaries,

I am planning my first mining rig build, for Litecoin, and I would like to get some input.

==============
Here is my current plan:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N6Fk
==============
Updated:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NLCo
==============

How does it look?

I have done my best to research this build for the past week. Information is very scattered, and the scene is changing so quickly that it's difficult to tell what is obsolete.

A case will be added because I don't have the time to build a custom open-air rig, and I rather not have a Frankenstein experiment in plain sight. Should I go for a full tower? Anything specific to consider?

Your help is very appreciated!

jordan.dev

Activity: 151

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 02:35:42 AM

Parts look ok. Are you using the machine for other tasks?

All things considered you might not need such a powerful CPU and an SSD for mining. Could probably save a few $ there.

As for as case...I just built one of these and it turned out really well: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=29729.0

Good luck!

BLOG | PGP | Bitcoin Trading Professionals | Bitfinex Affiliate Code: kwr9f922HS - 10% of trading fees for 30 days | Live Bitfinex Charts
robamichael (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 04:42:04 AM

Parts look ok. Are you using the machine for other tasks?

All things considered you might not need such a powerful CPU and an SSD for mining. Could probably save a few $ there.

As for as case...I just built one of these and it turned out really well: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=29729.0

Good luck!

Good points!

The rig will be used exclusively for LTC mining.

Can explain what type of CPU might be more appropriate?

I have also changed out the Gigabyte GPUs for some cheaper Sapphires. Do they look OK?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NoiI

Thanks!

Khanduras

Activity: 168

Movin' on up.

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:26:19 AM

At that point, I'd say the cheapest CPU you could buy that would fit that board.  Sure, booting the machine would take longer if you sacrifice the SSD, but any drive that's large enough fort he OS install plus your mining software will do.  If you feel like messing with it, install the OS to a decent-sized USB flash drive instead of dishing out for an actual hard driven and you save even more money.  There isn't too much difference in the GPUs, so you should be fine either way.

Bitcoin Address: 1N1sex4rktWdxBJcFTczYZF5Xa75C47j4c                 |
Mining Income Address: 15wgpV7fDN8fVYn1q9QaPb9XSLjGRhry5L    |
Turok

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:09:01 AM

you don't need CD/DVD ROM as well
tal0n4

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 02:04:14 PM

Go with a Sempron 145 for the CPU.

Get rid of the SS drive and run off a USB stick.

You don't need a CD ROM and good choice on the power supply. Smiley I've got five of those running in rigs similar to what you are building.
ftping

Activity: 183

200 OK

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 02:15:56 PM

Just built a rig similar to yours, except I bought a $60 Athlon II instead of the FX series. No point in spending extra cash on a CPU that won't really be used to its full potential.
jordan.dev

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 02:17:46 PM

Go with a Sempron 145 for the CPU.

Get rid of the SS drive and run off a USB stick.

You don't need a CD ROM and good choice on the power supply. Smiley I've got five of those running in rigs similar to what you are building.

Yes I did the Sempron 145, used MSI cards though. I think card manufacturer is really about personal preference and quality of the heat-syncs. MSI hasn't let me down.

BLOG | PGP | Bitcoin Trading Professionals | Bitfinex Affiliate Code: kwr9f922HS - 10% of trading fees for 30 days | Live Bitfinex Charts
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 02:44:19 PM

OP, see discussion in this thread for a more cost effective build.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=161235.0
Kasaf

Activity: 34

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 01:57:58 AM

Could I use this setup for mining BTC instead of LTC? Or would it not generate a good hash rate for BTC?
jordan.dev

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 02:12:51 AM

Could I use this setup for mining BTC instead of LTC? Or would it not generate a good hash rate for BTC?

At the current difficulty, it's my understanding that LTC is slightly more profitable on a daily basis. It has been for me thus far. I need to check again, but it's safe to assume this.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:21:22 AM

you don't need that much ram, 2x5850s only uses 50 mb on cgminer
you don't need a cpu cooler, the stock one is just fine (unless you want to go passive cooling)
you don't need a case, just put it in a plastic storage box
you don't need a super expensive gold PSU. there are less efficient ones with comparable outputs for $150 or less.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Kasaf

Activity: 34

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:31:52 AM

you don't need that much ram, 2x5850s only uses 50 mb on cgminer
you don't need a cpu cooler, the stock one is just fine (unless you want to go passive cooling)
you don't need a case, just put it in a plastic storage box
you don't need a super expensive gold PSU. there are less efficient ones with comparable outputs for $150 or less.

Is that for bitcoin mining for Litecoin mining?
robamichael (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 02:44:30 AM

Thanks for the input everyone!

I wasn't aware that there would be a stock CPU cooler. I will remove correct that.

Is there some way to tell how much ram is required per kh/s?

The open-air rig looks awesome, but I really don't have the time to build one of those. How do you suppose I station the cards without using a case?

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:22:05 AM

I wasn't aware that there would be a stock CPU cooler. I will remove correct that.
only OEM CPUs don't come with cooler.
Is there some way to tell how much ram is required per kh/s?
2 5850s @ 700 kh/s (concurrency 5600) only uses 50 mb in cgminer.

The open-air rig looks awesome, but I really don't have the time to build one of those. How do you suppose I station the cards without using a case?
put all the component at the bottom of the box, and suspend the video cards from the top using string+sticks. You'll definitely need extenders/risers for this though, but using this configuration allows for more space between the cards for better cooling. speaking of extenders, if you plan on using them, you don't need an expensive motherboard. all you need is one with enough pice slots (any width, even x1).

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: