Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:15:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Roadmap Discussion  (Read 412 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6122

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 12:44:06 PM

I was checking some things on Reddit till I found this Bitcoin Roadmap (I didn't want to post the picture directly as It may take some time to load and hurt your eyes), and I thought I should make an open discussion about it and get some opinions from the community and when those Soft-forks will be released etc...

According to the Infographics, there will be 11 Soft forks on Bitcoin in the next few months/years.

As far as I know , SegWit should be available in the next released (0.13.1) so It shouldn't take much time , as for Libsecp256K1 I found that It got implemented somewhere in the 0.12.x versions ? but couldn't find any confirmations about it. (If it's the case , does it mean that the Roadmap isn't by order ?)

As for Lightning Networks which is probably one of the best things , when we should expect to see it ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 02:14:51 PM

I was checking some things on Reddit till I found this Bitcoin Roadmap (I didn't want to post the picture directly as It may take some time to load and hurt your eyes), and I thought I should make an open discussion about it and get some opinions from the community and when those Soft-forks will be released etc...

According to the Infographics, there will be 11 Soft forks on Bitcoin in the next few months/years.

As far as I know , SegWit should be available in the next released (0.13.1) so It shouldn't take much time , as for Libsecp256K1 I found that It got implemented somewhere in the 0.12.x versions ? but couldn't find any confirmations about it. (If it's the case , does it mean that the Roadmap isn't by order ?)

As for Lightning Networks which is probably one of the best things , when we should expect to see it ?

Libsecp256K1 got added in 0.12.0 as far as I remember, and it made bitcoin much faster to open since it doesnt take ages to validate transactions anymore, we go much faster.

Lightning will come after segwit since segwit is needed for that... so most likely next year, maybe during summer or christmas, or maybe even early 2018.
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:01:37 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the image. For my taste it's a bit too simplistic but nonetheless contains some useful information.
I think the ordering of the steps is not correct - I would assume that these updates are integrated once they are ready. The time needed might vary considerably.

Libsecp256K1 got added in 0.12.0 as far as I remember, and it made bitcoin much faster to open since it doesnt take ages to validate transactions anymore, we go much faster.

Yes, libsec is already deployed. However, in my case I didn't notice a significant performance boost. Could be that my computer is too dated to profit from the optimizations or there's a different bottleneck. Nonetheless it was a great update because it reduced dependencies on external libraries and improved security.

I'm really looking forward to SegWit. I think a successful upgrade will end the exhausting blocksize debate forced on the community by some fanatics by proving that there is a much more intelligent way to scale Bitcoin.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:42:10 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the image. For my taste it's a bit too simplistic but nonetheless contains some useful information.
I think the ordering of the steps is not correct - I would assume that these updates are integrated once they are ready. The time needed might vary considerably.

Yes, libsec is already deployed. However, in my case I didn't notice a significant performance boost. Could be that my computer is too dated to profit from the optimizations or there's a different bottleneck. Nonetheless it was a great update because it reduced dependencies on external libraries and improved security.

I'm really looking forward to SegWit. I think a successful upgrade will end the exhausting blocksize debate forced on the community by some fanatics by proving that there is a much more intelligent way to scale Bitcoin.

ya.ya.yo!

I'm not sure about the other things but Blocksize increase will come after SegWit (they are little bit late though) , as mentioned on the Bitcoin Roundtable ( https://medium.com/@bitcoinroundtable/bitcoin-roundtable-consensus-266d475a61ff#.wr2qu6gci ) :

Till now , I still don't understand how this "community support" is calculated exactly though.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:55:48 PM

I'm not sure about the other things but Blocksize increase will come after SegWit (they are little bit late though) , as mentioned on the Bitcoin Roundtable ( https://medium.com/@bitcoinroundtable/bitcoin-roundtable-consensus-266d475a61ff#.wr2qu6gci ) :

Till now , I still don't understand how this "community support" is calculated exactly though.

Yes I did not mean to say that I don't expect any blocksize increase in future. It's just that the silly and dangerous "increase blocksize at all costs"-plan will not be implemented which is a great relief. With segwit and lightning networks Bitcoin will be able to be scaled in a much more efficient way and the block size will not increase in a way that hurts decentralization.

I guess that on a factual level the term "community support" means simply all people that are willing to run an updated implementation. Some changes might be exclusively subject to the decisions of miners and do not need support by all node operators though. On a more abstract level "community support" means, if developers are expecting that they are getting factual support - which is why there are ongoing discussions. Some uncertainties might persist, since it's not possible to reach out to all relevant operators.

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 05:52:34 PM

Here we are one year later with SegWit being activated. I thought it's worth bringing this topic back again, so I googled a little bit regarding IBLTS and BIP68/BIP112 but couldn't find any recent posts, these changes are still going to happen? I see (check the picture in OP) that Lightning network is mentioned in the third/BIPs part but I believe the LN that we are all familiar with (https://cdecker.github.io/lightning-integration/) don't require any soft forks, so are those two different projects?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████