Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:37:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Butterfly Labs (BFL) Bitforce SC ASIC Test  (Read 12533 times)
techwtf

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:45:41 AM

Anyone can tell me:
1 why only 15 nonce like response is returned?
2 what was he tested? single chip? hash core?
3 why it take ~20s to have the power to return idle?
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:54:13 AM

Oh my god.

So much fail in one place.

Where is the no significant shipping in May bet?

That would be a really nice bet to make some money. The right horse should be easy to pick  Grin
Meizirkki

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:12:34 AM

The only party surprised by higher power usage appears to be BFL itself.. even after they failed to do correct estimates for their FPGAs.

<insert history repetition quote>
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:39:58 AM

Saw this on unofficial IRC. I'll let you guys pick it apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C4bgho5JSI

Can you embed on here? Is it that flash tag?!

I feel I speak for a lot of the community here when I say...

HOO-BLOODY-RAY!!!

You're hashing prematurely.
mobodick

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:42:47 AM

Anyone can tell me:

It looks much more as if they are just testing the controller IC of the board and not the actual ASIC chip.
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 09:51:15 AM

Anyone can tell me:

1. sounds one one of the cores isn't working.
2. single chip on a board - each chip has 16 cores (see image)
3. presumably the test sends a block header (or equivalent) to each core and gets them to iterate over the nonce until the hash < difficulty - they program difficulty in - and the fact that they all came up with the same nonce means they are hashing.  It's the smallest unit of work that an ASIC that does SHA1-256(SHA1-256(data)) would have to do to prove it works.

Basically the video proves that chip works on a board, but only 15 of the 16 cores are hashing, and it uses a lot more power than expected (approx 4x)

Will

mobodick

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:31:37 AM

Anyone can tell me:

3. presumably the test sends a block header (or equivalent) to each core and gets them to iterate over the nonce until the hash < difficulty - they program difficulty in - and the fact that they all came up with the same nonce means they are hashing.  It's the smallest unit of work that an ASIC that does SHA1-256(SHA1-256(data)) would have to do to prove it works.

Basically the video proves that chip works on a board, but only 15 of the 16 cores are hashing, and it uses a lot more power than expected (approx 4x)

Will
Aah, thanks for the clarification.
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:57:52 AM

Did I heard "board with extra regulators"? So, problem is in chips not the board. Theydraw to much power. Same story as year ago with SC single. Promised 20W, delivered 80W. Now 60-160, it's progress. With 4th generation maybe they learn how to properly estimate power consumption.

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:30:48 AM

Yay! they are not a scam at least. This means they'll eventually ship a product.

fyi: we reached that stage 1.2 month before we shipped. Let's see how they handle their remainder issues.

Based on their track record of failures it will take them at least 5 times of what it took you guys. So we can expect a non-prototype product that works (more or less) within specs in about 1/2 year.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:03:32 PM

Josh: We are testing our "chips" and they hash at X rate but should hash at Y rate...could be the boards, the chips, or the clockbuffers...we don't know.

Investor: So when are you guys shipping? Next week? Two weeks?

Josh: We hope/should be shipping in two weeks.

Investor: Will I make profit with my order via mining?

Josh: You "should" profit.

Investor: Yay! I might profit after giving you a ton of money I could have made at least 1000% on in the same time it took you to develop your "asic" device. I love BFL. They are my hero.

Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:06:36 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2013, 04:14:22 AM by Bogart

Did I heard "board with extra regulators"? So, problem is in chips not the board. Theydraw to much power. Same story as year ago with SC single. Promised 20W, delivered 80W. Now 60-160, it's progress. With 4th generation maybe they learn how to properly estimate power consumption.

BFL Problem: The board or something on it (but we don't think it's the ASIC chips) is drawing 2-3 times as much power as was expected, and we don't know what or why.  But we do know that the voltage regulator can't keep up.

BFL Solution: Add another voltage regulator so that together they'll be more able to handle the increased draw.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:24:49 PM

And that 120W draw at run time is only when the chips running at 34Gh/s, so 240W draw for 68Gh/s  Shocked

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:26:13 PM

"We are still working on the communication protocol"

techwtf

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:19:02 PM

Anyone can tell me:

3. presumably the test sends a block header (or equivalent) to each core and gets them to iterate over the nonce until the hash < difficulty - they program difficulty in - and the fact that they all came up with the same nonce means they are hashing.  It's the smallest unit of work that an ASIC that does SHA1-256(SHA1-256(data)) would have to do to prove it works.

Will

about 2:
One should be shocked if only a single chip is tested.
assume all 16 cores are working, 4GHash (per nonce) * 16 (cores) / 20 (second) = 3.276GH/s per chip, or 205MH/s per hash core.
with this watts shown, you can calculate the efficiency of MHash / Joule by yourself.

the machine should return 8 * 16 = 128 nonces (so the watts can be compared with avalon / asicminer), but why there is only 15...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:34:51 PM

Anyone can tell me:

3. presumably the test sends a block header (or equivalent) to each core and gets them to iterate over the nonce until the hash < difficulty - they program difficulty in - and the fact that they all came up with the same nonce means they are hashing.  It's the smallest unit of work that an ASIC that does SHA1-256(SHA1-256(data)) would have to do to prove it works.

Will

about 2:
One should be shocked if only a single chip is tested.
assume all 16 cores are working, 4GHash (per nonce) * 16 (cores) / 20 (second) = 3.276GH/s per chip, or 205MH/s per hash core.
with this watts shown, you can calculate the efficiency of MHash / Joule by yourself.

the machine should return 8 * 16 = 128 nonces (so the watts can be compared with avalon / asicminer), but why there is only 15...

He mentioned 16 Engines, not 16 cores, some kind of internal function that conbine 8 cores (half of one chip) to make one engine?

All the hashing engines return the same result, so I suppose that the slowest (most unlucky) engine need 18 seconds to finish the hashing function, average could be much less, say 1-2 seconds

Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:56:43 PM

Yay! they are not a scam at least. This means they'll eventually ship a product.

fyi: we reached that stage 1.2 month before we shipped. Let's see how they handle their remainder issues.

The primeAsic scammers just released a video that shows just as much proof IMO Tongue
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 07:06:53 PM

Anyone can tell me:

1) 15 nonce are returned because we run each engine the full range of 0 to 0xFFFFFFFF. They all find the same result, and we read all the engines when they're done.
2) 6 chips on board were tested with the same data. What was shown was the dump of 15 engines on one of the chips.
3) Because the processing range is not distributed among engines, so all the engines go from 0 to 0xFFFFFFFF.

Regards,
Nasser

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:30:38 PM

Anyone can tell me:

1) 15 nonce are returned because we run each engine the full range of 0 to 0xFFFFFFFF. They all find the same result, and we read all the engines when they're done.
2) 6 chips on board were tested with the same data. What was shown was the dump of 15 engines on one of the chips.
3) Because the processing range is not distributed among engines, so all the engines go from 0 to 0xFFFFFFFF.

Regards,
Nasser

so the test was 15 of 16 engines on 6 of 8 chips? was this done for yeilds or something?
Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:47:40 PM

What is the die size again?

Package size is 11mm^2.

11mm^2

Die size is 7.5mm^2 if I remember correctly.

20W for 7.5mm^2 is quite a lot of heat to dissipate.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:49:15 PM

Well this is a small step in the right direction.
Maybe after 15 or 20 videos showing steady progress, I might believe they will ship something able to hash at some point in the future.

$30,000 dollars spent on a mini-rig last summer would have bought 5000 bitcoins. Those 5000 BTC would be worth $455,000 today.
BFL has some catching up to do. Wink

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: