Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:01:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [DASH] questions related to whitepaper  (Read 710 times)
vega4 (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 05:50:15 PM
Last edit: September 07, 2016, 06:19:17 PM by vega4

Hello,

I'm reading their whitepaper I've got some doubts and questions. I'll update my questions as I read along.

Return on investment for running a Masternode can be calculated as
((n/t) * r * b * a * 365) / 1000

why do they say that there is a lack of incentive for running a bitcoin full node? the rewards for mining will dmininish in time true but then there will be returns from higher transaction fees , bitcoin system seems to be able to handle such a scenario even when block rewards are fully gone.

why to require a deposit of 1000 dash from full node operators? what is the point? doesn't it create a centralization? where only the ones who can affor the deposit are able to mine? in bitcoin everyone is able to mine. what's the point. as far as I can see there is no point of creating  a stake IF the difficulty of proof of work is high enough.

"The cost associated with running a Masternode creates a hard and soft limit of active nodes
on the network. Currently with 5.3 million DASH in circulation, only 5300 nodes could possibly
be running on the network. The soft limit is imposed by the price it costs to acquire a node
and the limited liquidity on exchanges due to usage of Dash as a currency and not merely an
investment"

Why would one want to limit the number of full nodes? what is the point.

pseudo code for selecting a master node:

"For(mastenode in masternodes){
n = masternode.CalculateScore();
if(n > best_score){
best_score = n;
winning_node = masternode;
}"

this code seems to promote full nodes with a higher stake. if the CalculateScore  function takes into account the ammount of desposit? doesn't it push the system towards centralization?

here I can see the function
:CMasterNode::CalculateScore(){
n1 = GetProofOfWorkHash(nBlockHeight); // get the hash of this block
n2 = Hash(n1); //hash the POW hash to increase the entropy
n3 = abs(n2 ­ masternode_vin);
return n3;
}

so the function depends on proof of work of a given block I don't fully get the third line. the function seems only to rely on the proof of work of a given block height, so, where is the dependancy on a given node. please explain. it is supposed to rank the nodes.

"Currently the Dash network has ~2400 active Masternodes[8]. By requiring 1000 DASH
collateral to become an active Masternode, we create a system in which no one can control
the entire network of Masternodes. For example, if someone wants to control 50% of the
Masternode network, they would have to buy 2,300,000 DASH from the open market. This
would raise the price substantially and it would become impossible to acquire the needed
DASH.
"

ok I see the idea of proof-of-stake here, though you dont call it as such here. 2m dash for a government to buy would be easy money wouoldn't it? considering the current price. of aorund 13usd /coin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vega4 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:01:32 PM

"With the addition of the Masternode network and the collateral requirements, we can use this
secondary network to do highly sensitive tasks in a trustless way, where no single entity can
control the outcome. By selecting N pseudo random Masternodes from the total pool to
perform the same task, these nodes can act as an oracle, without having the whole network
do the task.
"

ok, why do they consider the possibility of a whole network doing something a con? highly sensitive tasks? I mean I really don't get it.
It could translated like some secret club is doing something. only those able to afford the 1000DASH deposit.

Another example use for trustless quorums can include utilizing the masternode network as a
decentralized oracle for financial markets, making secure decentralized contracts a possibility.
As an example contract, if AAPL is over $300 on Dec 31, 2016 pay public key A, otherwise
pay public key B.

trustless quorums.. what If I call the whole bitcoin network of full nodes a trusted quorum? what is so special about the ones who got 1000DASH deposit bisides limiting the number of possible full nodes?  i can see that the fact of STAKE bound to each node allows them to make some sort of voting. well.. what if we bind the voting power to a number of sacrificed currency for example? that wouldn't limit the number of full nodes so much. would be more flexible
vega4 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:09:32 PM

Masternodes can provide any number of extra services to the network. As a proof­of­concept,
our first implementation included Darksend and InstantX. By utilizing what we call
proof­of­service, we can require that these nodes are online, responding and even at the
correct block height.

Darksend...InstantX... naming conventions remind me of sam Sci-Fi movies. anyways. the concept of proof-of-service, well.. I will check how it is implemented but I don't really see how the fact that a host is online would be a reliable proof of anything. I'm not a fan of proof-of-stake as I think that nodes can be 'bought'. and what about the privacy of IP adresses of the full nodes etc. just thinking loud.

reading..
To reduce the possibility of people using the system to
their advantage nodes must ping the rest of the network to ensure they remain active.
well ok. does the fact that a node is online impose any fact of their reliability honesty, etc?

reading..

All work done to check the network to prove that nodes are active is done by the Masternode
network itself. Approximately 1% of the network will be checked each block. This results in the
entire network being checked about six times per day. In order to keep this system trustless,
we select nodes randomly via the Quorum system, then we also require a minimum of six
violations in order to deactivate a node

ok so they ping one another...I still do not get how the rank of each full node is computed
vega4 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:18:03 PM

Masternodes are originally formed by sending 1000 DASH to a specific address in a wallet
that will “activate” the node making it capable of being propagated across the network.

what is that address.how is it computed who owns the private key

A cold mode is made possible by utilizing the secondary private key on two separate
machines.

what is a "cold mode". I will skil this section untill it becomes clear.

reading..

If a miner is non­compliant their blocks must
be rejected by the network, otherwise cheating will be incentivized.

noncompliant - in what sense?

We propose a strategy where Masternodes form quorums, select a winning Masternode and
broadcast their message.

I thought that all of the masternodes form a single quorums... what do they mean by sub-quorums?

I will read on when these questions are resolved:D
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:19:12 PM

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/

or create a thread here : https://www.dash.org/forum/topic/masternode-questions-and-help.67/
or a post here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.122820

Personally i would create a thread on dash.org as more serious discussions take place there and the dev-team monitors
it more closely.

you could even start a thread here for more exposure : https://www.dash.org/forum/topic/general-discussion.2/

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
vega4 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:24:54 PM

@qwizzie no problem. I WILL post also at your forums asap, I was to send you an email... to the authors I mean. BUT I also want to have an objective opinion from many people.. I come from research community and doing some research. thank you for an invitation.
qwizzie
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 06:26:10 PM

@qwizzie no problem. I WILL post also at your forums asap, I was to send you an email... to the authors I mean. BUT I also want to have an objective opinion from many people.. I come from research community and doing some research. thank you for an invitation.

It is always good to do your own research...

Good luck.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
vega4 (OP)

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 09:06:07 PM

I will analyze the whole source code etc. just warming up and looking for some sparks of light. I need to do to research that's my job xd
the idea and internal workings of Bitcoin are totaly clear to me. will take me a couple of days to get my head around these few concepts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: