Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:56:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-09-07]Sandia Labs to Enable Homeland Track Bitcoin Transactions  (Read 369 times)
BTCBinary (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 10:50:38 PM

Sandia Labs to Enable Homeland Track Bitcoin Transactions

Bitcoin has always been pseudonymous at best. By design, the transparent nature of blockchain enables anyone to access transaction details using block explorers. However, tracking the entire transaction history of any Bitcoin token is a cumbersome task at the moment. A tool currently under development at the Sandia National Laboratories may make it easier to track Bitcoin transactions. Once completed, the tool is expected to help...

http://www.newsbtc.com/2016/09/06/sandia-labs-track-bitcoin-transactions/
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2016, 01:31:32 PM

sounds like this tool which denormalizes bitcoin transactions in bulk using node.js. https://github.com/colealbon/blocktool
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 11:21:04 PM

Bitcoin has always been pseudonymous at best. By design, the transparent nature of blockchain enables anyone to access transaction details using block explorers. However, tracking the entire transaction history of any Bitcoin token is a cumbersome task at the moment. A tool currently under development at the Sandia National Laboratories may make it easier to track Bitcoin transactions. Once completed, the tool is expected to help...

I read this but its not too forthcoming on the "math" behind how it operates.  I have concerns for a user buying coins on a site like localbitcoins and then this model determines "tainted" coins and they get flagged.  I visualize more problems then corrections.  A follow-up question would be whether a good combo of commercial tumblers would negate this tool's investigatory abilities.  Its not that a user (me for instance) is up to no good, but rather my willingness to tumble into clean making it possible for safe long term wallet holdings.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
yayayo
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 12:07:04 AM

I read this but its not too forthcoming on the "math" behind how it operates.  I have concerns for a user buying coins on a site like localbitcoins and then this model determines "tainted" coins and they get flagged.  I visualize more problems then corrections.  A follow-up question would be whether a good combo of commercial tumblers would negate this tool's investigatory abilities.  Its not that a user (me for instance) is up to no good, but rather my willingness to tumble into clean making it possible for safe long term wallet holdings.

It's a horrible idea like all the AML-idiocy. It is not useful in suppressing crime it only serves as a pretext to put the ordinary people under financial surveillance, ensuring that they are not exerting their financial freedom. Tainting might destroy Bitcoin's fungibility and hence the whole currency. Bitcoin could become a surveillance nightmare, with basically everyone facing the risk of prosecution just by accepting funds from the "wrong" source. We really need privacy improvements for Bitcoin ASAP to prevent this from happening.

Bureaucracies have the tendency to grow like a cancerous blastoma, abusing their power to suck up more and more resources to grow while ignoring their own functional usefulness for whole system. The DHS is a perfect example for this. It's easy to establish a new caste of officialdom, but it's extremely difficult to get rid of it once it has gained power...

ya.ya.yo!

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 06:57:01 PM

yayayo, That was well spoken.

Much of the allure to BTC (for me) is that it sits outside of the "control freaks" reach, and they want to regulate absolutely everything.  Where I live the thought of no control has them fuming.  If anyone else comes across any links/articles that would shed more light on this tool, please add them here.  This is a subject we all need to be aware of as we pursue our use of BTC.  I am trying really hard to promote BTC with my friends, just because I see a future in it.  Several are reading on this site and a few are getting ready to dabble with their first fraction of a bitcoin.  Its fun to watch and share in the joy of learning about how it all works.  They are having fun.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: