Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:05:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to the DAO???  (Read 1504 times)
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 04:28:16 AM

I just returned from Black Rock City where I saw one of the DAO's creators give a talk.  I think it was Griff Green.
Anyway I thought I have another look at it and put aside all the controversy and maybe start a project using the DAO (he made it sound easy Smiley)

But now I notice the DAO is not on coinmarketcap or poloniex. What happened?

Should I use Wings instead or Lisk or....?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 05:35:39 AM

I just returned from Black Rock City where I saw one of the DAO's creators give a talk.  I think it was Griff Green.
Anyway I thought I have another look at it and put aside all the controversy and maybe start a project using the DAO (he made it sound easy Smiley)

Someone used a vulnerability to drain the DAO of millions of tokens. ETH did a hardfork, which returned the DAO to an address that allowed people to redeem their DAO for ETH. Some people didn't appreciate the ETH hardfork, so now you also have ETC. (ETH classic.) If you had ETH the moment before the hardfork, you now have ETC too.
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 06:02:44 AM

Someone used a vulnerability to drain the DAO of millions of tokens. ETH did a hardfork, which returned the DAO to an address that allowed people to redeem their DAO for ETH. Some people didn't appreciate the ETH hardfork, so now you also have ETC. (ETH classic.) If you had ETH the moment before the hardfork, you now have ETC too.

Thanks...But after that happened the DAO was still listed on coinmarketcap and was trading on poloniex....now it has vanished. And one of the creators of the Dao, Griff Green, is still promoting it.

Is is trading anywhere I wonder?
andyste

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 06:56:37 AM

after crash and hack token DAO, trusted reduce
volume transaction is down and low volume transaction
after trusted low volume transcation low, DAO in dilestid from exchanger poloniex
so is community and trusted can very bad and not good buy is DAO coin

and coin system with DAO is big impact to, it egg coin system use DAO and until now selling ico coin is very low buyer
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 02:16:18 PM

DAO is now not available in any trading platform for trading, may be Griff green is just trying to pull next phase of ICO funds but actually the one who created DAO contract are responsible for not fixing the well exposed security flaw earlier than hack. DAO has just been disaster for both ETH and all investors.

I think better to consider DAO a dead token now.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 02:21:50 PM

Thanks...But after that happened the DAO was still listed on coinmarketcap and was trading on poloniex....now it has vanished. And one of the creators of the Dao, Griff Green, is still promoting it.

As far as I understand, and if I'm wrong, please correct me, the situation is as follows:

On the ETC chain, the DAO still exists, but is essentially drained by hackers using the exploit: the original "first" DAO hacker on one hand, and the infamous RHG / white hat hacker group on the other hand.  So essentially, that ETC DAO is empty of ether, and all the ether has been withdrawn from it through exploits.  

On the ETH chain, the original DAO has never existed, but is replaced by a much simpler "withdrawal" contract, that allows the original contributors to the DAO to extract their original ether contribution.  Many did, and many didn't.

You could still sell the non-withdrawn DAO tokens, but they stand for a certain amount of ether that can be withdrawn from them.  It wouldn't make much sense to sell these tokens: they are just "bags of ether". So there's no reason to trade these things, as they are just "bags of ether".

raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 02:56:10 PM

But after that happened the DAO was still listed on coinmarketcap and was trading on poloniex....now it has vanished. And one of the creators of the Dao, Griff Green, is still promoting it.

no, its done.
the decision to make the fork was tied to the death of dao, the whole point was return the funds to the investors... at least in theory.
mike77777

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 03:24:21 PM

to cut a long story short: there was a hidden feature in DAO and...
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 03:32:10 PM

to cut a long story short:

trust you with $100M and you get hacked.
annnd ... we are gone!

logic applied, then at what point does the project become not insecure ... after $200M ... $2 Billion?
there's no do'ovrs at that level.  even if you fork off most of the mistake.

the other projects only needed $2-$20M of 'trust', and have not been hacked.
the market said, moveOn.

and also very likely the DAO was a success for the incompetent project leaders ... they made loot ... only the investors got burned. 

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Mr. Green

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

I learnt about experts they're experts on fuck all

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 03:33:35 PM

It died, as all scam coins should do.

Stop using such drugs. They are bad for your health.
glerant

Activity: 565
Merit: 316

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 04:01:44 PM

...now it has vanished.

It's still on Coinmarketcap if you do a search. The same as with prelaunch ICO coins.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 05:15:47 PM

The fact that the DAO still exists and has a marketcap and is listed on exchanges is nothing but a comedy genius act. I mean whoever is still involved in ETH/DAO hasn't learned anything yet.

I wonder when the next DAO event will happen. Maybe ETH can survive once, but not twice, to such a disaster. We will end up with 3 Ethereum coins? Cheesy
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 05:30:31 PM

i had ETH during the fork. and you write, that if have ETC too? how can i get them?
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 05:31:53 PM

i had ETH during the fork. and you write, that if have ETC too? how can i get them?

If you download the ETC client and you load the same private keys that you own the ETH keys at (the same wallet) the same amount of ETH you have should show up as ETC too.. or something like that, I dont know the details, but you should have exactly the same ETH in the ETC chain.
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 05:56:14 PM

Hey was it one of his talks he gave at Camp Contact? I was there too! So much fun ahhhh!!!!!
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 06:01:49 PM

Hey was it one of his talks he gave at Camp Contact? I was there too! So much fun ahhhh!!!!!
No ..it was in Centre Camp.
I heard Nick Szabo was there too (?)
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 06:06:04 PM

If you download the ETC client and you load the same private keys that you own the ETH keys at (the same wallet) the same amount of ETH you have should show up as ETC too.. or something like that, I dont know the details, but you should have exactly the same ETH in the ETC chain.

yes that right. one of my ETH addresses has ETS according the ETC block explorer. now i need to find the privat key of this address.

can anybody help with this? i found 3 JSON on my hardest. but non of them matches the address i need.
str4wm4n
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 06:33:52 PM

Ah you should have came to Contact. Amir Chetrit and another Ethereum founder was there. Was a good discussion.

There was another cool talk at Habitat for Insanity about a protocol for anonymizing packages sent through USPS.
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 06:59:06 PM

Ah you should have came to Contact. Amir Chetrit and another Ethereum founder was there. Was a good discussion.

There was another cool talk at Habitat for Insanity about a protocol for anonymizing packages sent through USPS.
I did pop into Contact but not for those talks, and I saw the USPS talk listed...but...well..you know. One gets sidetracked at BRC Smiley
str4wm4n
Legendary

View Profile
September 08, 2016, 07:07:33 PM

I did pop into Contact but not for those talks, and I saw the USPS talk listed...but...well..you know. One gets sidetracked at BRC Smiley

true true! not to get off topic in your thread but I think next year we should organize a bitcointalk meetup deep playa! haha
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: