Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:47:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL progress.. Should I sell my Avalon's. Any feedback would be appreciated!  (Read 3382 times)
Vagnavs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:21:10 AM

Hello,
with BFL recent news of their product possibly becoming a reality.  Would I be advised to sell my Avalon batch #2 and #3.  Any feedback would be great!

note: I still do want to mine bitcoins and isn't all about money

Avalanche is a must own
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:47:47 AM

I think you should sell them.  Since they're obsolete now, I'll generously offer 8 BTC each.

Best hurry before I change my mind.

Grin

Cheesy

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 05:02:08 AM

You should sell me your Batch #2 Smiley

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:09:45 AM

I'll take your batch 2 for $1500. Honestly though, I wouldn't be too worried about it, it's going to take a while for the difficulty to reach a level where Avalon ASICs are unprofitable. The batch 3 may take quite a bit longer to pay off but it will eventually. It all depends on how quickly BFL can move their models. Of course, if BTC value goes back down to $2 in the next month you are completely screwed, but you already knew that...

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
simonk83

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:20:36 AM

I'd be interested in the batch 2 as well Wink
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:26:05 AM

Avalon Batch 2 is due to start shipping 15 April. 

It's not known how many BFL units will ship in Batch 1 or how many TH because of the power problems they're having, but they have a maximum of 5,000 chips and it sounds like they're going to have to underclock a significant number.

There's no realistic estimate for when BFL's Batch 2 (which still need 5 layers completed, then bumping, dicing, packaging etc) and bulk batch will be ready to ship, but it's highly unlikely to be before Avalon's Batch 2.

I'd be reluctant to sell an Avalon Batch 2 order when it's extremely unlikely that BFL will iron out its problems and start shipping its own Batch 2 before 15 April.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
cablepair

Activity: 896

Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 06:36:38 AM

selling an actual REAL working product for an extremely late vapor ware order would be an extremely bad idea. Even if it becomes an reality you wont see the damn things for at least another year.

Just look at how long it took them to fulfill their FPGA device orders.

Ordering now you will be lucky if you receive them in under 2 years. If they actually exists. Of course they are going to keep posting updates claiming they are "becoming a reality" the term alone is ridiculous. I would not be surprised if they took in close to a billion dollars in pre-sales.

If it was not a reality at one time its not likely to become a reality any time soon.

I went down this same road and I can tell you if they dont have working prototypes after close to a year - there is something seriously wrong there.

I may have a scammer tag but it will be gone long before BFL ships anything if they ever do. I have been on this forum long before 90% of the people currently on here and have mined with every type of technology that exists.

I started out 3 years ago with a single 5870 that got me 8 coins a day. Call me what you will but I happen to know a bit about this business.

there are only two good investments involving bitcoin right now. Either buy Avalon or Buy Bitcoins - these are the only winning options at this current time.
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:37:38 AM

Avalon Batch 2 is due to start shipping 15 April. 

It's not known how many BFL units will ship in Batch 1 or how many TH because of the power problems they're having, but they have a maximum of 5,000 chips and it sounds like they're going to have to underclock a significant number.

There's no realistic estimate for when BFL's Batch 2 (which still need 5 layers completed, then bumping, dicing, packaging etc) and bulk batch will be ready to ship, but it's highly unlikely to be before Avalon's Batch 2.

I'd be reluctant to sell an Avalon Batch 2 order when it's extremely unlikely that BFL will iron out its problems and start shipping its own Batch 2 before 15 April.

It's unlikely BFL ships a significant amount before Batch 3 of Avalon is completed.

They need a miracle to get over the thermal issues they are facing.  There are 100 ways it can shake out, and 95 of them involve down-clocking the hardware dramatically.
tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:46:35 AM

wait till they ship and after that you can sell if they ship before batch 3 your  avalon in batch 3 will worthless
Nemesis

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:47:41 AM

LOL op, you can listen to all this craps on this forum. But at the end of the day, no1 give a fck about you and they can throw you under a bus if they can.

Look at all these anti BFL POS, they're simply banking on Avalon so their so called criticism is all about their investment.

The dumbest of all are the ones that bought batch 3.
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 07:10:56 AM

please help me understand why you would sell your batch 2-3 and buy a BFL product now! I just dont want to support them for obvious reasons but as an example i told my neighbor about it and even after i told him the history of BFL flaking and the difficulty rating and the works he is still thinking about making a purchase from BFL!! WHAT THE ****!!

What am i missing ,, Has their behavior biasd me that much ! You would sell your working device for? > i dont even know what to compare youre working device with .. (" Crickets, a crapy video, ")

Please tell what i am missing!  

If something about Avalon has biasd you like i have found myself biasd against BFL, please do tell and if youre just looking to dump your avalons than by all means >>> here ya go how about 33BTC for batch 2!~

( Keep in mind i have no orders with either company and i have just made a judgement about them from what i have read and from my dialog with others here and around the web!)

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
coinnewb

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:17:36 AM

Hello,
with BFL recent news of their product possibly becoming a reality.  Would I be advised to sell my Avalon batch #2 and #3.  Any feedback would be great!

note: I still do want to mine bitcoins and isn't all about money

What makes you think BFL's shipping estimate is any good this time around???
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:22:38 AM

Hello,
with BFL recent news of their product possibly becoming a reality.

Ask yourself this question: Do you wanna have this:

BFL_Josh: "We have some boards at 1.76w, some at 2.5 and some at 4 and one at 6 <- although I think the ones at 4 and 6 have either a broken power regulator and/or a bad power brick, because they power brick is only 120w and it's drawing like 195 watts which is ridiculous. ..."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b8hvt/bfl_josh_updates_on_asic_status_full_transcript/

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Miner99er

Activity: 310

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:37:38 AM

Hey Frizz, they ARE working on it... and I sincerely doubt they'll ship a product that ends up like the pic you posted.

No matter how you re-size it, that still looks like an OEM CPU cooler for one of AMD's high end CPUs... and that's able to dissipate 125 watts at full tilt.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
BBQKorv

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:40:17 AM

If you happen to have in hand Avalons you can most likely ask +10k$ and get that money too.
Vagnavs (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1121
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:24:14 PM

Hello,
I was mostly thinking of the increased difficulty if BFL actually ships..  Not that I would want to buy a BFL unit

Avalanche is a must own
Frizz23

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:40:06 PM

Hey Frizz, they ARE working on it... and I sincerely doubt they'll ship a product that ends up like the pic you posted.

Casings, boards, fans, heatsinks - everything is already built. If they take bigger heatsinks and fans they won't fit in the casings anymore.

What do you think they're gonna do?
(a) throw all that stuff away
or
(b) reduce the hashing power per unit

No matter how you re-size it, that still looks like an OEM CPU cooler for one of AMD's high end CPUs...

No - my picture shows no CPU cooler. It's taken from bitcoinmagazine.com and from BFL's own website:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content/attachments/176d1352245075-copp.jpg.html

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 05:21:31 PM

Casings, boards, fans, heatsinks - everything is already built. If they take bigger heatsinks and fans they won't fit in the casings anymore.

Looks like somebody got everything needed to raise chickens, but when the animals arrived they realized they were in the skunk business, thus needing different sized pens and larger fans.
nagnagnag2

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:32:36 PM

and that's able to dissipate 125 watts at full tilt.

at this moment its drawing 160 watts.

160 - 125 = 35 Watts to much.
Frizz23

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:36:37 PM

No matter how you re-size it, that still looks like an OEM CPU cooler for one of AMD's high end CPUs... and that's able to dissipate 125 watts at full tilt.

... by the way: To cool a 125 Watt CPU I would use water, or at least something like this here:

Not sure how much heat the BFL heatsink can dissipate. But I highly doubt it's 160 Watt or even 120 Watt.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: