Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:14:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Bitcoin Store: Free bitcoin online stores  (Read 17232 times)
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 13, 2013, 02:35:16 PM

Good luck, this is a hell of a task! Took us two month of full time + overtime work to get us where we are at www.coingig.com What's your language of choice?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aantonop (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 116

Entrepreneur, coder, hacker, pundit, humanist.

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:56:36 PM

Can you store virtual goods on the Server to have them delivered automatically once payment completes?

Yes. At least one of the store modules does downloadable or intangible products.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2013, 05:59:56 PM

Good luck, this is a hell of a task! Took us two month of full time + overtime work to get us where we are at www.coingig.com What's your language of choice?

It's not new code, it is just pre-integrated and customized Wordpress store. Wordpress is PHP. Not a language choice, as this is targeted for store owners who will not "open the hood" of their store. Wordpress is accessible, broadly documented and has a huge community, so that makes it easier for people to learn the interface and manage the content.

We have got it working to the point where we can launch a basic store in one minute and have it live with products for sale in less than an hour. It's manual process and I need help automating it, but it works.

Bitcoin entrepreneur - OpenBitcoinStore,SafePaperWallet,BitcoinPressCenter.org... and more.
Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 08:43:15 PM

Some FAQ clarification

All the stores also support credit card payments through merchant accounts, paypal or Google wallet.

They also support bitcoin transactions via Bitpay.

You can price your products in fiat (USD, EUR), or in bitcoin
You can sell the products in fiat (USD, EUR), or in bitcoin
You can also accept credit cards...

Other questions that come up often:

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support PayPal
A: Yes

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support credit cards through a merchant account
A: Yes

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support multiple currencies
A: Yes, hundreds

Q: Does it handle intangible products
A: Yes, both downloadable and intangible

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support shipping charges
A: Yes, the stores have shipping modules, up to complex multi-shipper, global shipping with weight and fixed rates

Q: Does OpenBitcoinStore support sales tax
A: Yes, origin, destination or both.

Q: How is OpenBitcoinStore free?
A: The code is open source, the hosting can be free for small sites via Heroku or AWS t1.micro

Q: Is there a transaction fee?
A: No, you run and manage the store. If Bitpay charges you a fee, that's between you and them. If you host it somewhere you have to pay, that's you. But OpenBitcoinStore is just code, no hosting, no fees. It really is free

Q: How much will it cost to try out and find out if anyone is interested in buying my products
A: That's the point: NOTHING. Try it for no risk or cost.

Q: Why are you doing this?
A: Because I want to see bitcoin succeed for broad commerce, not just drugs and illicit products

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 14, 2013, 11:57:03 PM

It's not new code, it is just pre-integrated and customized Wordpress store. Wordpress is PHP. Not a language choice, as this is targeted for store owners who will not "open the hood" of their store. Wordpress is accessible, broadly documented and has a huge community, so that makes it easier for people to learn the interface and manage the content.

We have got it working to the point where we can launch a basic store in one minute and have it live with products for sale in less than an hour. It's manual process and I need help automating it, but it works.

Ahh, I see... I thought you were making a separate platform to interface with Wordpress. My bad...

Global BTC

Activity: 529

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2013, 11:58:59 PM

Wow. Great initiative! I'll be sure to set up a store for a test drive when it's available.

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 12:09:45 AM

Wow. Great initiative! I'll be sure to set up a store for a test drive when it's available.

The beta test is available now. Do you have time and interest to test a store? If yes, I will have one up for you ASAP.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 12:18:08 AM

aantonop : I think you mean your github link in OP to go here https://github.com/openbitcoinstore/openbitcoinstore no?

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 12:23:22 AM

Ahh, I see... I thought you were making a separate platform to interface with Wordpress. My bad...

No, I'm not that ambitious ;-)

I'm only streamlining the minimal viable setup for a bitcoin store.

By the way, I think your CoinGig initiative is great. I don't think I'm "competing" with you because once a store becomes even slightly successful, it will probably migrate to a platform with tech support and professional backing, such as yours.

I'm trying to fill a different niche, really, which is for the open-source barebones equivalent. Just lowering the barrier to bitcoin retail commerce.

We're working to the same goal, and I hope you are very successful!

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 12:24:39 AM
Last edit: April 15, 2013, 04:13:14 AM by aantonop

aantonop : I think you mean your github link in OP to go here https://github.com/openbitcoinstore/openbitcoinstore no?
[/quote]

Thank you. I had since moved the code to its own organization, since this got a lot more "real" after I posted that message!

I'll correct it immediately

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 05:09:38 AM

I'm currently selling belts on bitmit but I'd like to expand and could try this out as a solution. Is it ready for me to deploy myself or do you still do the deploy? Either way I'd like to try it and can act as a beta tester too.

hiima

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 07:50:43 AM

Do you have any more beta stores available, I'd like to try creating a store.

Whiskey Fund BTC 1K2SG4amzNrB7gUwf5braHuExqnQ5nEKZp LTC Lgoz9gb7q39FMAmBz8odfkx4YFhLeofCpc
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 08:34:07 AM

WOW!

We have had a sudden response with more than 20 requests for new stores in an hour, since posting on reddit.

Since the process is not yet automated (beta test), it will take a bit of time to manually do all those, solve the bugs and document.

However, EVERYONE will get a store. That is the whole point. So, I will add everyone to a list, tell you how many before you,  and provide updates on progress, so you know when we will get to your store.

This is fantastic news, as the project just got enough momentum to ensure it's continuation.

I have also received several offers for donations. Since I will not be taking any money for this project myself, I am setting up a separate address and policy for the use of any donations. All donations will go to offer tech support to store owners and for project development. Standby for more details.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 09:51:16 PM

UPDATE:

Yikes!

We now have more than 200 requests for stores.

That's 200 people wanting to sell goods and services in bitcoin, in less than 24hrs, from one post.

Please see the new site: OpenBitcoinStore.com

Go there to SIGNUP for the beta, to volunteer, to donate, or to read the FAQ.

I can no longer take PM or email for beta signups, as I am completely overwhelmed. Form entires will be handled on a first-come first-served basis.

Thank you for all the amazing support

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Global BTC

Activity: 529

View Profile WWW
April 15, 2013, 11:45:26 PM

The beta test is available now. Do you have time and interest to test a store? If yes, I will have one up for you ASAP.

Actually, not in this instant. Maybe in a couple of days.

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2013, 05:53:58 AM

UPDATE:

Today we started the launch for TWENTY NINE new bitcoin stores.

Twenty nice applications were submitted in full in less than 12 hours. We have responded to all applicants and they are in the process of setting up their FREE bitcoin retail stores.

The stores started today are planning to sell a huge variety of products and services, both physical and intangible (media, software downloads).

I was honestly surprised by the incredible variety of ideas that bloomed out of the basic concept behind OpenBitcoinStore:

Launch a retail bitcoin store, for free, in less than an hour, without techie skills.

We will be collecting testimonials and making a directory of the new stores.

The beta is officially closed - but we are now accepting applications from all, for the next stage.

Visit openbitcoinstore.com and click "Get a Store!". (or to volunteer or donate)

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Tornston

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 08:44:50 AM

Today we started the launch for TWENTY NINE new bitcoin stores
great!
hey owners, don't hesitate to add your stores here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=5.0
aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 06:05:29 AM

Project Update

We have now received 67 applications in 48 hours. We have processed about 20 and have finished TWO stores already.

We also have received 10 volunteers, two donations and lots of heartfelt support.

The website is much more complete now: openbitcoinstore.com

I expect we will reach 100 stores before the end of the week

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 08:54:28 AM

Luv the puppies and kittens listings on the demo store ... nice touch  Cheesy

aantonop (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 09:24:57 AM

Luv the puppies and kittens listings on the demo store ... nice touch  Cheesy

Thanks. My favorite part was implementing the "elephant" in the demo. It has unique features, like you can't use the SHIPFREE coupon and it is very expensive to ship, because of the weight. There's only 1 in stock. It nicely shows several of the complex and sophisticated features of WooCommerce, the underlying store software.

Host on LetsTalkBitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: