Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:49:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-03-30 Sky News (UK Rolling News) 5 minutes airtime about Bitcoin hourly! :)  (Read 4979 times)
Synapse_On_Slush (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:41:55 AM
Last edit: March 30, 2013, 08:23:08 PM by Synapse_On_Slush

Been amazed today, Sky News (One of the biggest 24 hours news channel here in the UK) has been giving Bitcoins about 5 minutes of air time about once an hour! That's more than it's current news coverage on the North Korea situation!

Either they have nothing to report about or Bitcoin is seriously getting some main stream recognition... Cheesy

I have been recording the segments on my Sky+ box, no easy way to upload them to youtube but I will do my best if anyone's interested and it's not already up on youtube...

Anyway, AWESOME NEWS !! Cheesy
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
thoughtfan

Activity: 784
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:00:38 PM

You'll find it here:  http://news.sky.com/story/1071652/cyber-currency-surge-amid-eurozone-crisis

My favourite quote from Simon Smith, an 'Economic Expert' from FxPro gave me my laugh of the day:

"It's totally unsafe. They might as well burn their money in a pile as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Bitcoin has doubled in value over the last month but it has every sign of being a bubble."

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Synapse_On_Slush (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:08:13 PM

Haha, I laughed when he said that Cheesy
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:31:34 PM

You'll find it here:  http://news.sky.com/story/1071652/cyber-currency-surge-amid-eurozone-crisis

My favourite quote from Simon Smith, an 'Economic Expert' from FxPro gave me my laugh of the day:

"It's totally unsafe. They might as well burn their money in a pile as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Bitcoin has doubled in value over the last month but it has every sign of being a bubble."

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

LOL!

I swear they're using Taaki as a propaganda tool.   I just love that picture of the dump where bitcoin is being developed!!!
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:38:06 PM

Bruce finally came out of his closet....again  Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 01:54:45 PM

"That's gold Jerry! Gold"

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:37:41 PM

KIBA IS MADZ. KIBA WANTS PROPER DATE FORMATTING OR HE'LL BAN YOU!

Synapse_On_Slush (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:20:18 PM

My apologies,
fixed now Smiley
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:18:47 AM

Isn't there any Personal Stylist in london that accepts bitcoin?
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:42:20 PM

Here's a video of the segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsA2i5cF78

It's actually pretty good. The press love the view from the top of Amir's squat, don't they. It makes such a great ending of the story to look out over the City from the roof of the revolutionary lair Wink

thoughtfan

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:00:21 PM

Here's a video of the segment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxsA2i5cF78

It's actually pretty good. The press love the view from the top of Amir's squat, don't they. It makes such a great ending of the story to look out over the City from the roof of the revolutionary lair Wink

Much happier about it having seen the piece as a whole than having seen the VT Sky News has on their website alongside with the ridiculous article and the squat pic.  Thanks for that.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:11:46 PM

It sounds like Sky News is invested in Bitcoin trying to pump (and maybe dump) Bitcoin. Still, even if they are it's good publicity.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
thoughtfan

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

It sounds like Sky News is invested in Bitcoin trying to pump (and maybe dump) Bitcoin. Still, even if they are it's good publicity.
That's an intriguing interpretation to me.  Were you and me looking at the same article with the squat and the 'Economic Expert' proclaiming investing Bitcoin to be like burning your money?  Admittedly the whole piece paints a different picture but if there was a company policy here then surely they'd all be singing from the same song sheet?
xDan

Activity: 688

ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:26:39 PM

Here's some key highlights:

"DIFFICULT TO TAX OR TRACE"
source: bitcoins

"It's a billion dollar market with charts and graphs and everything"

That Arwa person at least fought the corner nicely.

HODLing for the longest time. Skippin fast right around the moon. On a rocketship straight to mars.
Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Bitcoin~
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:56:14 PM

That's an intriguing interpretation to me.  Were you and me looking at the same article with the squat and the 'Economic Expert' proclaiming investing Bitcoin to be like burning your money?  Admittedly the whole piece paints a different picture but if there was a company policy here then surely they'd all be singing from the same song sheet?
Amir is a cypherpunk. The burning comment made by the stiff-in-the-suit is less appealing than the visionary warrior imagery on the rooftop.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
thoughtfan

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:41:39 PM

Amir is a cypherpunk. The burning comment made by the stiff-in-the-suit is less appealing than the visionary warrior imagery on the rooftop.
For whom?  Not I would have thought with the kind of people who have the kind of money likely to have the biggest influence on price (which is who the target would be if your SkyNews Pump 'n Dump thesis was true)?  The priority for most of the serious money types is about confidence they are not going to lose money and I can't see how that is going to be increased something purportedly put together by anarchists in a squat!
Missionary

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 08:03:01 PM

"It's a billion dollar market with charts and graphs and everything"

Loved that one. Really gives you a high level of trust that there are graphs... and everything.  Grin

On the whole, I thought it was a really good presentation of Bitcoin. The segment on the nightly news show a few days ago was better, but this kind of hourly publicity is really, really valuable.

I am an evangelical missionary heading to China. Donations are welcome here (dedicated wallet): 1H8iswayfTaRb6oe2WjMCRmchBJHYyfx9z
You can find more information about my plans here: http://btcmission.com
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:08:30 PM

Good piece I thought for such a short clip.

Big fail Simon Smith "archetype london financier" ... he is basically saying because adoption is so rapid it is a bubble. Since bitcoin is NETWORK of nodes, bubble-like adoption rates can be expected for any useful networks, it is called the network effect. A bubble forming and a network being adopted will look identical. It is exactly the same as all the people who were discounting the rise of the Internet itself in the early '90s, financial types who discount bitcoin as a bubble do so at their peril, they need to do a little reading about the network effect, (their ignorance is curious since their very livelihood depends on the network effects of efficient markets).

Arwar Mahdawi seems to be a v. astute commentator. She appears to have thought deeply about the topic and brings some new interesting takes on familiar ideas that regular people will be able to relate to, decentralisation of trust, "network regulating the currency", very clear and well spoken also.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 08:53:56 PM

SOURCE: BITCOINS

new meme incoming!

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:24:58 PM

Good piece I thought for such a short clip.

Big fail Simon Smith "archetype london financier" ... he is basically saying because adoption is so rapid it is a bubble. Since bitcoin is NETWORK of nodes, bubble-like adoption rates can be expected for any useful networks, it is called the network effect. A bubble forming and a network being adopted will look identical. It is exactly the same as all the people who were discounting the rise of the Internet itself in the early '90s, financial types who discount bitcoin as a bubble do so at their peril, they need to do a little reading about the network effect, (their ignorance is curious since their very livelihood depends on the network effects of efficient markets)

Exactly.  Not all exponential processes are bubbles, some (e.g. PCs, Email, Facebook) grow quickly and then become a permanent plateau of adoption.  Bitcoin is unusual in that it has had, from the get-go, a directly visible market price closely tied to its adoption curve.  I'm sure if Facebook had been a public company from day one, then its valuation chart would likely have looked like Bitcoin's.  We simply never saw Facebook's "bubble" chart because their valuation was private for most of their history.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: