Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:54:42 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bid and ask wall explained?  (Read 4557 times)
Seno (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 12:07:03 PM

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to bitcoins. I see people talking about bid and ask walls, but I don't really understand their purpose yet. I know that a wall is a large amount on the bid or ask side, I figured that out ;p
The thing is, I can't figure out their effects on the market. What is their effect on the prices, how to gain benefit from those walls, do does walls effect me, etc.

I would love to see an easy explanation, Google wouldn't answer my question. Thanks in advance!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 12:17:45 PM

Quite simply a wall can act as a price "holder" - if placed on the Bid side then you can read it as being an indicator that the price is unlikely to drop below it without a significant amount of trades and if placed on the Ask side then as an indicator that the price is unlikely to raise above it.

Note that walls can disappear at any time (as the orders can just be cancelled) so they are often also used by people attempting to manipulate the people (or perhaps bots) that are observing them.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
prolom

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:41:18 AM

Are the walls represented as steep declines and inclines on the market depth chart? How do you take them into account when placing a buy or a sell order? For instance if I do want to buy in that price range I would place an order which is a bit in front of the wall? I don't know if my question makes sense because I'm not a trader.

prolom.

dbt1033
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 04:59:03 AM

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but if you are truly interested in trading i recommend giving the following site a look http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:chart_analysis:introduction_to_cand . Most exchange sites provide a candlestick chart that represents buying/selling pressure during specific trading intervals.  It will teach you how to recognize trends and hopefully make trading a profitable endeavor.  Best of luck!
prolom

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 05:04:36 AM

Thanks, this is actually the page I was reading to try and understand candlestick charts.

It does not mention walls at all though.

prolom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: