Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:46:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to say against the claim "backed by the state/bank"  (Read 2086 times)
WiW (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:01:44 PM

When people say that Bitcoin is not backed by any government or central bank, you can now officially tell them that the Dollar and the Euro aren't either.

I've opened the wikipedia article on the Euro, and it doesn't mention the word "backing" not once.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro

If anyone ever tells you that the Euro and Dollar are more guaranteed than bitcoin, yell at the top of your lungs "LIAR! THIS PERSON IS A LIAR!"
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 02:52:19 PM

I would say that not being backed (i.e. controlled) by any government or central bank is one of the essential advantages of bitcoins. The idea is to get away from state and institutional control not towards it.
BTC_MACD

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:24:17 PM

The more I think about bitcoin the more I think that governments (or the people that control them) are behind it (that's not to say that they control it, just that I'm starting to think that they want it to succeed). Best to be in it either way IMHO.
WiW (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:34:03 PM

I would say that not being backed (i.e. controlled) by any government or central bank is one of the essential advantages of bitcoins. The idea is to get away from state and institutional control not towards it.

Regardless, my point is that neither is backed.
BTC_MACD

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 03:52:09 PM

Depends on what you mean by backed. Is it redeemable for a fixed amount of gold or silver irrespective of exchange rate to fiat money....probably not. Do some governments want it to succeed....who knows?
The Bitcoin Catalog

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

The Bitcoin Catalog ---> Get Started!

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 04:05:54 PM

Bitcoin is backed by its unique properties as a medium of exchange and as a monetary system.

The Bitcoin Catalog: Second edition coming out in November! Click here for a  FREE pdf catalog!
Follow us on twitter! @BTCcatalog
WiW (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:27:21 PM

Bitcoin is backed by its unique properties as a medium of exchange and as a monetary system.

"Backing" is a term reserved for a guarantee by another party that something is of value, such as being exchangeable for another asset by that third party, or being insured in some other way (hence being guaranteed).

Such claims as "bitcoin is backed by [insert property/feature unique to bitcoin]" are erroneous. You are providing a property of bitcoin, which may indicate value. Its unique properties don't back it. Its unique properties are it.

This claim is like saying "gold is backed by its unique color". No, it's not. Its unique color is a property of gold, which is why some people attribute value to it. Its color does not "back" it, no matter how you define "backing".

Please stop with these claims of bitcoin being "backed" by anything. Nobody is guaranteeing that bitcoin is worth anything. Nobody is promising your something in exchange for bitcoins. Bitcoin is NOT backed by anything apart from your own personal trust and belief.
WiW (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:32:29 PM

Fiat money are backed by idiots. Bitcoin is backed by math.

No it's not. Bitcoin of the same blockchain cannot be counter-fitted, thanks to certain mathematical properties of bitcoin. But "math" does not "back" the value of bitcoin. Even counter-fitting is possible with bitcoin using a few types of attacks.

Can we please stop with this?
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:32:40 PM

What is happening to money backed by the state Bank Of Cyprus ?
MashRinx

Activity: 389

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 04:47:45 PM

This is what has come to mind for me recently when people ask the question about how Bicoins are 'backed'.  How's was the money of the citizens of Cyprus supposedly 'backed?  How's that working out for them?

People trust what they know, THINK they understand, and are comfortable with.  When I read some of the comments replying to articles about Bitcoin, I think about the 'Flat Earth Society' of old.  Only time will tell who was right, and perhaps we're headed for the edge, but that, to me, is part of what has made this speculation so enjoyable an exciting.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 05:36:12 PM

Exactly that.

It's so nice that the state itself makes our counterpoints for us...

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
BTC_MACD

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 06:22:30 PM

I agree with some of your points about counterfeiting and underwriting but the topic title is "What to say against the claim "backed by the state/bank"." Why do you think we should claim that bitcoin isn't backed by a state/bank?

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 06:59:22 PM

I would say: "You're right, Bitcoin is backed by no government ( just a bunch of regular folk running validating nodes (like me), enterprising miners securing the network, intrepid business owners adapting the technology and increasing acceptance, and clever devs creating the technological basis for our future money)....dont forget, Bitcoin is not exposed to incredbly large sovereign debt burdens or central bank mismanagement risks either."

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
WiW (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:20:31 PM

I agree with some of your points about counterfeiting and underwriting but the topic title is "What to say against the claim "backed by the state/bank"." Why do you think we should claim that bitcoin isn't backed by a state/bank?

Because it's not?

I'm not even saying "claim that bitcoin isn't backed by a state/bank", I'm just saying claim that fiat isn't.
Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:43:09 AM

There are so many stupid things in this thread. Quoting wikipedia like some kind of abirter of truth, semantic interpretation of backing, bitcoin being backed by math. Conceptual misunderstandings all over the goddamn place. What a mess.

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
gradient vector

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 07:12:24 AM

The only backing fiat money has is that you are force to accept it because of legal tender laws. But nothing forces you to accept a specific amount of fiat money for rendering a good or service. In this sense, the backing really means nothing. If someone were to say to me that their money is "backed" by the government I would just say ok what will they give you if you returned it to the Fed?
Bitobsessed

Activity: 291

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:03:52 AM

Sure, regulation is everywhere.
WiW (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:36:33 PM

There are so many stupid things in this thread. Quoting wikipedia like some kind of abirter of truth, semantic interpretation of backing, bitcoin being backed by math. Conceptual misunderstandings all over the goddamn place. What a mess.

How about this. I already defined what I believe can be considered "backing", semantically speaking:
"Backing" is a term reserved for a guarantee by another party that something is of value, such as being exchangeable for another asset by that third party, or being insured in some other way (hence being guaranteed).
I may, however, be wrong and I want anyone who disagrees with me to please define "currency backing" so that we can get the semantics out of the way.

you're using the term "backed" literally, and ignoring its less literal meaning... while what you're saying is basically true, the Euro and US Dollar are REGULATED by the government. Which is a form of backing.

What?? Since when is regulation = backing? Wait, cigarettes are regulated by governments, does that mean that cigarettes are backed by governments?
BTC_MACD

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:37:07 PM

How about this. I already defined what I believe can be considered "backing", semantically speaking:
I may, however, be wrong and I want anyone who disagrees with me to please define "currency backing" so that we can get the semantics out of the way.

you're using the term "backed" literally, and ignoring its less literal meaning... while what you're saying is basically true, the Euro and US Dollar are REGULATED by the government. Which is a form of backing.

What?? Since when is regulation = backing? Wait, cigarettes are regulated by governments, does that mean that cigarettes are backed by governments?

The point people are making is that you are failing do recognise the different meanings of "backing" as in 1)underwriting and 2) being in favour of.

As for "currency backing"....well now you're just moving the goalposts.
WiW (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:47:03 PM

The point people are making is that you are failing do recognise the different meanings of "backing" as in 1)underwriting and 2) being in favour of.
I referred to the underwriting of the Euro, and given the recent events in Cyprus have proven it is false. And if "being in favour of" is a form of backing, then in that case it needs to be clear from the get go in every conversation because I don't think that's how most people understand currencies to be "backed". "Being in favour of" is very, very different than how I define "backing" a currency.

As for "currency backing"....well now you're just moving the goalposts.
Fine. Call it "backing a currency". We're not just talking about any "backing", are we? If I put my back against the wall and call it "backing", should we discuss if bitcoin is being "backed" by anyone in such a way?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: