Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 11:58:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Stake is Now Provably Secure  (Read 498 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2016, 01:22:18 PM

https://eprint.iacr.org/2016/889.pdf Enjoy all

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2016, 03:53:23 PM

Thanks for the share. 

I'd also add that even though this is well written out theory, in practice we also know that there hasn't been any real PoS chain ever being 51% attacked and forked.  Yet, we know that kind of thing definitely happens in PoW. 

~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 04:17:08 PM

Thanks for the share.  

I'd also add that even though this is well written out theory, in practice we also know that there hasn't been any real PoS chain ever being 51% attacked and forked.  Yet, we know that kind of thing definitely happens in PoW.  
Yes actually ethereum based POW coins are more vulnerable to 51% attack and several ethereum based coins were already dead with the attack.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4537

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 04:24:46 PM
Last edit: September 14, 2016, 04:39:58 PM by franky1

Thanks for the share.  

I'd also add that even though this is well written out theory, in practice we also know that there hasn't been any real PoS chain ever being 51% attacked and forked.  Yet, we know that kind of thing definitely happens in PoW.  

many POS coins have actually forked.
the reason there is no big news about them is that POS coins are for the pump&dump arena of "nobody cares"

even suggesting a POS coin cannot be forked is just wrong.

its like suggesting an eye can never suffer from sudden hearing loss... (logically because it never had the mechanism of hearing in the first place to lose),, to suggest that because of no 'sudden hearing loss' there is no chance of an eye suffering "sensory" deprevation
yes POS cant be 51% forked... but it can be forked in a number of different ways

as for the OP suggesting that the pdf document is a proof that POS is secure. its not. i can still see many attack vectors and ways to 'game' it and gain control.
POS has other issues too which make it technically less appealing as a secure code solution. and only appealing to users at the front end "getting free coin" for little work.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2016, 05:27:09 PM

Provable security actually has a well defined meaning and our paper conforms to that meaning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provable_security

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4537

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 06:25:22 PM

my front door has provable security.. anyone can see the keyhole where a key belongs..
but i can see the window only needs a rock and anyone can get in.

POS still has a long way to go before it can even compare to the immutability of bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: